There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

HZ Masterclass

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
X-bassist

HZ Masterclass

Post by X-bassist »

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/han ... lm-scoring

30+ video sessions, pre order is $90.

01. Introduction
02. Hans' Influences
03. Hans' Journey
04. Learning by Listening
05. Working within Limitations
06. Working with Directors Part 1
07. Working with Directors Part 2
08. Working with Directors Part 3
09. Approaching Story
10. Approaching Story: Creating a Theme
11. Creating a Sound Palette
12. Creating a Sound Palette: Sherlock Holmes
13. Creating Sounds using Synths
14. Scoring to Picture
15. Scoring Under Dialogue
16. Tempo
17. Tempo: Sherlock Holmes Scene
18. Creating a Music Diary Part 1
19. Creating a Music Diary Part 2
20. Character Theme: Batman
21. Character Theme: The Joker
22. Character Theme: Jack Sparrow
23. Character Theme: Moriarty
24. Case Study: Sherlock Holmes

Hans just posted on VI:

This was, without doubt, the most exhausting thing I've ever done. I haven't seen the final edits yet, but these guys knew how to mercilessly drill down to get answers to questions that I never had to articulate - things I had just learned by having the opportunity of "doing" and, very often, failing. After each relentless day I felt truly drained. But I think that's exactly how it should be.
I took this very seriously, and so did the whole crew and producers. Here guys take passing on knowledge very, very seriously. And yes, it's mostly writers and directors who watch the composers, while I watch Aaron Sorkin and Dustin Hoffman. And my friend Werner, of course.
Forget about me... the quality of people they have - and are getting to do their classes is pretty amazing.
Yes, it's a very long program and still it always feels like we just scratch the surface. Yes, it only is my point of view, or things that are particular to me - things I've learned on my journey. And it was nearly impossible for me to find the words to articulate some of the ideas and experiences (I wish I had Aaron Sorkin's command of language!!), but I really, really tried my best.
And I agree with Alexander Schiborr. It's not amazing. Or shouldn't be. It should be a model for common education. Affordable and taught by leaders in their field. We all have something to learn from each other and we should all take a moment of our time (which is why I like this forum) to share knowledge and experiences.
-Hz-

dciurlizza

Re: HZ Masterclass

Post by dciurlizza »

This is nuts! Zimmer works on the largest movies with, I bet, some of the tightest deadlines around. To think that having an interview about what he does and how he does it was more exhausting than that...

But then again, my introverted cave-dwelling self gets tired when I leave my dark studio to do a grocery run.

In truth, I did this Masterclass and it really does feel like they're drilling down into his processes. Super insightful and fun.

Thanks for sharing this!!

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

dciurlizza wrote:This is nuts! Zimmer works on the largest movies with, I bet, some of the tightest deadlines around. To think that having an interview about what he does and how he does it was more exhausting than that...
Hmmm ... that got me wondering, too! ;-)

MatFluor

Post by MatFluor »

I took the Masterclass as well.

If you know the ones from Mike Verta, they do not compare. HZ doesn't go deep, it's more of a philosophical approach, and a primer for scoring. It nice to see him talk about the approach he takes. If you expect some "nuts and bolts" advice and tricks, you are expecting the wrong ;-)

The price is good, so if you have the money, it's not bad. But if you know Mike's Masterclasses, they are a different beast and contain more "hands on" info.