There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cubase 9

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Ashermusic

Re: Cubase 9

Post by Ashermusic »

Guy Rowland wrote:
IFM wrote:My only side complaint is Play5.0.1 is still slow to load on the PC yet blazingly fast on the Mac...and that's with an SSD.
That's not my experience here - super-fast here on the PC. Couldn't be the streaming settings are different could it?
Fast on my iMac here.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

IFM

Post by IFM »

Guy Rowland wrote:
IFM wrote:My only side complaint is Play5.0.1 is still slow to load on the PC yet blazingly fast on the Mac...and that's with an SSD.
That's not my experience here - super-fast here on the PC. Couldn't be the streaming settings are different could it?
Maybe. Cache is set to 0. What are your other settings? I can load the entire Hollywood template on the Mac faster than just the HS portion does on the PC. It has always been slow which is why I abandoned it for a while.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

OK, it's not that then - I have it set to zero too, but I don't think it's a PC-wide problem as mine is REALLY fast compared to how it was - I think even faster than 5.0.0 and miles faster than 4.x. One other thought which recently caught me out again - just check you have Play / sample drives excluded from Windows defender / any other anti-virus you have. Somehow something had been re-enabled for me, and in my case was causing Kontakt to wait 30 seconds before loading every time.

IFM

Post by IFM »

Guy Rowland wrote:OK, it's not that then - I have it set to zero too, but I don't think it's a PC-wide problem as mine is REALLY fast compared to how it was - I think even faster than 5.0.0 and miles faster than 4.x. One other thought which recently caught me out again - just check you have Play / sample drives excluded from Windows defender / any other anti-virus you have. Somehow something had been re-enabled for me, and in my case was causing Kontakt to wait 30 seconds before loading every time.
Just add it to the reasons I loath Windows. It will automatically turn it back on...even says so in the control panel. I didn't have the Samples drive excluded so just did that. I also had it set for 2048 voices where as the mac is 1024. I just changed the PC to 1024 and it is somewhat faster now.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Good news - yeah that Defender is a real gotcha for us. It's rapidly rising up my list of First Things To Check...

tack

Post by tack »

I disable Defender as part of a group policy. It stays disabled when you do that.

If you're using W10, the easiest way I've found to disable that and other obnoxious Windows behavior is ShutUp10.
- Jason

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Need a little help guys...

I have just installed Cubase and I am finding the lower zone a bit irritating at the moment. How can I set it up so that editors always open in full screen without the lower zone ever coming up?

I want to set it up to the old format by default. I cannot seem to find any setting right now.

EDIT: Found it in preferences! Solved.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Don't feel bad Tanuj, it took me longer to find it AND I had help....

My main irritation with it at the moment is that if you have the key editor open and the project window, and then record a new clip of midi, the key editor does not update with the new recording. I ended up opening 4 million windows by double clicking my newly recorded clips before I tried to track down what was wrong. It means you have to single click another clip, then single click back the one you just recorded - every time. What a bore. The good news is that it is at least logged as a Collected Issue at Steinberg - https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 5&t=109770

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Teething issues I guess. I am glad it has been reported and will be taken care of. I just made use of the sampler track in a song I am producing. It is quite a nice feature as it could potentially speed up a few things.

I have always been confused about the pitch and time stretch algorithms and their quality in Cubase. Ableton and others do a much better job on the fly. With Cubase, I get better results by going into the menu and doing it manually for each clip with the right algorithms. Because, on the fly does not sound as good.

I am not sure why that is the case. I know, you can pre-select this in the preferences even if you use the top info line bar to do it but why are other programs faster and better at this? Or am I missing something?

There are some nice things in Cubase 9, the best part it is snappier and runs as good as 7.5 which 8.5 did not. There were GUI glitches and it ran a tiny bit slower. With version 9, it seems solid for now.