There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Spitfire Symphony Orchestra and Masse

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Spitfire Symphony Orchestra and Masse

Post by Guy Rowland »

Spifire have rolled their Symphonic series strings, brass and winds into a complete Orchestra package (well, minus percussion so not quite complete).

http://www.spitfireaudio.com/press-rele ... orchestra/

Basic price is £1,499 inc VAT, discounts for existing owners of elements of the library (log into their site for your discount). Masse is (I think) a remixed big instant action version of some of the patches, available for an additional £299 inc VAT, for owners of SSO only.

If you'd prefer the prosaic version of the above info, it's here - http://www.spitfireaudio.com/press-rele ... orchestra/ , more in depth stuff is here - http://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/instr ... orchestra/

EDIT - thanks Matt for pointing out that these website prices are now INC VAT for the first time.

TheUnfinished

Re: Spitfire Symphony Orchestra and Masse

Post by TheUnfinished »

It's actually £1,499 inc VAT, because suddenly ALL product prices are now saying "inc VAT"!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ooop, wow. Thanks Matt, OP corrected.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Their decision not to include percussion is baffling to me.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Tatu

Post by Tatu »

Spitfire's repackaging / repackaging of repackages / teaser / teaser / teaser trailer / trailer -policy starts to wear my interest in them more and more, no matter how good samples they produce.

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Yeah I'm confused by the lack of percussion. Christian made an attempt to justify it over on the other forum but it still doesn't make sense to me.

Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm disappointed on the percussion front. I have an entire SF template except for the percussion. Just can't seem to pull the trigger on it even though it's probably a great library. It just feels like the moment I do they will announce a brand new perc lib, lol.

Hannes_F

Post by Hannes_F »

.. but they have a percussion libary, don't they? At least I have one on my harddrive.
Traveller in boundlessness, at home in the Now
http://www.strings-on-demand.com

Dave

Post by Dave »

Hannes_F wrote:.. but they have a percussion libary, don't they? At least I have one on my harddrive.
??? They obviously do, it's just not part of the package. One tends to think of a symphonic orchestra as including the percussion section. To me it's no different than leaving out woodwinds but including perc. I'm guessing they didn't include it because it's an older product, but who knows? Not a big deal anyways.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

My guess is that at their present pricing, including percussion would have pushed the price past the $2000 point, which their market research told them was unwise. Just a guess, of course.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Lawrence wrote:My guess is that at their present pricing, including percussion would have pushed the price past the $2000 point, which their market research told them was unwise. Just a guess, of course.
Yes, but without Percussion, it's not a Symphonic Orchestra, so it is false advertising, which, in the UK at least, is illegal.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Daryl- as I said before I find it baffling, but in terms of illegality, who would bother to file suit?

L.J. Nachsin

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Lawrence wrote:Daryl- as I said before I find it baffling, but in terms of illegality, who would bother to file suit?
If it was advertised on TV, the whole thing would be pulled. No lawyers needed. As its online, I guess that the ASA https://www.asa.org.uk/?gclid=CMiv4ePKw ... 0wod7WsA5Adoesn't have the same power.

ZeeCount

Post by ZeeCount »

Daryl wrote:
Lawrence wrote:My guess is that at their present pricing, including percussion would have pushed the price past the $2000 point, which their market research told them was unwise. Just a guess, of course.
Yes, but without Percussion, it's not a Symphonic Orchestra, so it is false advertising, which, in the UK at least, is illegal.
Surely it would only be false advertising if they said it included percussion and it did not? There are symphonies that were written without any percussion. For example, Motzart's 40th symphony has no percussion in it.
Soundcloud __________ Youtube

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

ZeeCount wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Surely it would only be false advertising if they said it included percussion and it did not? There are symphonies that were written without any percussion. For example, Motzart's 40th symphony has no percussion in it.
The orchestra of Mozart's day was not what we refer to now as a Symphony Orchestra, more of a Chamber Orchestra.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Ashermusic wrote:
ZeeCount wrote:
Daryl wrote:
The orchestra of Mozart's day was not what we refer to now as a Symphony Orchestra, more of a Chamber Orchestra.
Yes this is correct. if I'm booked to conduct a symphony orchestra, it is not the sort of orchestra that I would expect for a Mozart Symphony.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Perhaps everyone should start calling it Spitfire Three Quarters Of A Symphony Orchestra? STQOASO? No?

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Guy Rowland wrote:Perhaps everyone should start calling it Spitfire Three Quarters Of A Symphony Orchestra? STQOASO? No?
:D :D :D
Frank E. Lancaster

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

And Mozart composed over 250 years ago.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

ZeeCount

Post by ZeeCount »

Ashermusic wrote:And Mozart composed over 250 years ago.
And Mahler composed over 100 years ago, that doesn't stop everyone ripping him off left, right and centre ;)

(Myself included :ooo:)
Soundcloud __________ Youtube

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

ZeeCount wrote:
Ashermusic wrote:And Mozart composed over 250 years ago.
And Mahler composed over 100 years ago, that doesn't stop everyone ripping him off left, right and centre ;)

(Myself included :ooo:)

But Mahler composed for what is now recognizable as a modern symphony orchestra, Mozart did not.

www.jayasher.com

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

It's a simple marketing thing. They repackaged and updated the strings, brass and woods and this is the result in a box (without the box). The percussion got no update lately (and for my needs doesn't need one). Yepp, it's not a complete orchestra but the content is well documented. I don't think someone will spent £1,500 and then look for the timpani. And a lot will replace the orchestral percussion section with Damage and HZ drums anyway ;-)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I agree about the marketing thing, but also from a marketing standpoint, wouldn't it have been wiser to call it The "Spitfire Orchestral Package #1" or "Spitfire SBW" or some such name?

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

The Saxer wrote:It's a simple marketing thing. They repackaged and updated the strings, brass and woods and this is the result in a box (without the box). The percussion got no update lately (and for my needs doesn't need one). Yepp, it's not a complete orchestra but the content is well documented. I don't think someone will spent £1,500 and then look for the timpani. And a lot will replace the orchestral percussion section with Damage and HZ drums anyway ;-)

Uhmmm not sure. If I post "Dog For Sale", should people not assume it has four legs without looking at the product literature? It may be great but it simply is NOT a symphony orchestra package, it is a winds-brass-strings package.

www.jayasher.com

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

I bet you can't sell me a dog for £1,500 without me noticing that it has three legs only. ;-)