There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

iZotope RX6 - Released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Killiard

Re: iZotope RX6 - Released

Post by Killiard »

Guy Rowland wrote:(tangent in defence of boom ops everywhere - obviously I've no idea of this case, but in general it can be such a thankless job. If you have an unhelpful lighting person and / or a director who insists on keeping a protected wide shot, you're stuffed. It always sounds better than radio mics if you're allowed near the actors, but so often you're not...)
True! In this case even the close shots sounded absolutely full of room. There wasn't much budget so I have a feeling that audio was fairly low down the list of priorities. Of course once it was in post they all got a bit worried! It only came to me as someone told them I could fix it :D

Just had a fiddle with RX6 in the last hour (I've been busy with my 5 year old girl's birthday today!), and they've added so much stuff since V3. Even the de-breath, doesn't sound too bad. It's going to save me a lot of time!! The de-esser sounded pretty good too, though I'm just listening over the laptop speakers.

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Anders Wall wrote: A boom-op you should never give/move a single inch :)
Saying that, it's easy when the team is small.
There is a scene in a Swedish show were I stand, in the middle of a sword-fight with actors and extras, fully equipped with my Sound Devices recorder, radio receivers and my boom :-)

/Anders
Ha. Brilliant!!

Slight tangent but I'd love to splash out some cash on a Sound Devices recorder and decent mics to do lots of ambient/FX recording. Just need the cash to splash!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Here's a good real world fix. I did a VO session a couple of weeks ago, and Pro Tools woke up beyond grumpy. After the first recording I stopped to check and it was a horror show, put splats and horrors over everything. Fortunately a total Mac reboot sorted it out so it was no big drama and we just redid the first compromised stuff, but I thought it would be a good test for RX6.

Here's a very short excerpt of what the damn thing did to us - https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxec1x9si80rx ... e.wav?dl=0 . And this is about 2 or 3 minutes work with RX6 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvz3mqd061h87 ... x.wav?dl=0 . The splats and clicks were so extreme I wondered how it would cope, and the answer is pretty damn good. The final result isn't 100% perfect - you can hear some low level artefacts, but its perfectly useable.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lovely examples, Anders (finally had a chance to listen to them properly). There's a real thrill in pulling off miracles like these, isn't there? Doubly so when its so effortless.

I did try a very taxing clip on Dialogue Isolate this week - wordless utterances backed by banging and crashing. It failed miserably, sad to report. But it didn't dampen my enthusiasm. RX6 can perform so many miracles, I don't mind if occasionally I ask too much of it.

Here's one I'd love - de-plane. To use machine learning (as in de-wind) to spot the many and varied sounds of passing planes. A daily bore shooting in so many places in the world. Maybe by RX9....