There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Revoice Pro 3.3 30% off (but not for long)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Revoice Pro 3.3 30% off (but not for long)

Post by Guy Rowland »

PRS cheques are in, so I just bought this primarily for a) ADR chores b) vocal timing chores. It also does pitch correction, with a few clever tricks up its sleeve - for example, it can take the intonation from a guide read and apply it to a different voice. What finally made me take the plunge is that it operates with Cubase (and some other DAWs) via a simple cut and paste between apps.

I got it from AudioDeluxe for about $335 (with the in cart discount). I think it's at this price just over the Easter sales.

http://www.synchroarts.co.uk/products/r ... o/overview

byzantium

Re: Revoice Pro 3.3 30% off (but not for long)

Post by byzantium »

Personally haven't got the projects / funds to justify it, but an audio engineering friend of mine has it, and he says its the biz, especially for matching vocal harmonies.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I've just had a first fail around session in Cubase. Lots of gotchas (as luck would have it, I chose a nasty project to try it out on), but - so far - I think it'll be worth pushing through the initial pain barrier. There's a time-limited demo on the website to see if it's useful for you. Here's my Cubase gotchas so far for matching vocal harmonies.

1. Match all the settings as described in the video. In Windows, the settings are in the Window menu, not View as with a Mac.
2. Make sure you set the start point to be the same of every clip in Cubase.
3. If you are using pitch correction already or have warped the tempo in Cubase (as I had) and its in musical mode, you'll need to Bounce Selection in Cubase first. I duplicated the track version first, so I always have the original if I need it.
4. Copy and Paste to RV3 isn't really copy and paste, it's drag and drop (to get it IN to RV3 - to get it out it's slightly different again).
5. There's no apparent way I can find to set the bit rate, potentially leading to some extra dialogs when copying.
6. RV3 keeps changing the Initial Input Start and End of its own volition it seems, and changing the selected region in Yellow. Make sure you have it selected to both Region and that the region is right each time. [EDIT - I've found it also changes the cue, dub and output tracks too - it kept failing on me and eventually I saw it had changed my settings without telling me. Grrr.]
7. It can work on multiple tracks (with the same guide) at the same time if you tick the Multiple Processes dialogue and increment.
8. To get it out of RV3 and back into Cubase again is tricksy at first. In Windows, press Control/Shift on the clip you want to export until a + icon appears by the cursor, then RELEASE control/shift, THEN drag to an empty spot on the Cubase track. Do this for all clips. Finally in Cubase, go to the Move submenu within Edit, then Origin - this will paste it back where it was.

That probably looks less elegant than it is, I think it would be quick and second nature in no time. Where I went wrong was not realising I'd warped many of my clips in the session already, so nothing lined up. I've tried the tight and slightly loose presets so far, and the latter I have to say is terrific. Only job now is to go back over everything I've ever done with vocals and redo them...

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Any features in Revoice Pro that Melodyne can't do?

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

The Saxer wrote:Any features in Revoice Pro that Melodyne can't do?
I've never jumped on Melodyne, so I don't know for sure, but I think there's a different emphasis. RVP is mainly devoted to vocal / dialogue work, and timing is a very strong point - it's extremely clever at analysing and adjusting between 2 or more files. Melodyne can sort of do this, but I think (could be wrong) it's a manual task, which gets incredibly fiddly. Melodyne on the other hand has tricks like polyphonic pitch correction, and a lot of sound design stuff. It's a lot more versatile. But the general wisdom seems to be that for vocal / ADR timing chores, RVP is the champ. Certainly for the clips I did today, once I had it set up right, it was just a case of clicking the loose timing and pitch button, and it was essentially perfect.