There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

LiquidSonics’ Seventh Heaven Professional - Bricasti M7 reverbs

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: LiquidSonics’ Seventh Heaven Professional - Bricasti M7 reverbs

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Anders. Out of curiosity, is this licensed by Bricasti do you think?

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

At the bottom of the website it says: "This is an unofficial plug-in produced and distributed by LiquidSonics with the expressed permission of Bricasti Design Ltd."

Not that I'm in any need of another reverb, but I think I'll be downloading that demo.

_

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Not that I'm in any need of another reverb, but I think I'll be downloading that demo.
Do you own a hardware Bricasti to compare?

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

So I'm guessing these are the same impulse responses with Fusion IR that are present in Reverbarate 2? I couldn't find info on this, but it makes sense. I've been using R2 for several months and quite like the M7 impulses, but find the GUI of R2 far too fiddly for my needs. On the other hand I feel a bit ripped off that a M7-dedicated emulation should cost more than R2 as a whole by such a large margin. The "light" version of this would appear to hit a sweet spot, until I see that it does not include some of my favorite IRs and only sticks to v1 instead of including v2. But the GUI is way easier on the eye than R2.

I'd download the demo to check but am a bit busy and don't really want to install the same 8GB of IR content again that I already have on my drive just to check this (and then delete, etc.). If anyone has both, Reverberate 2 and this as a demo, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on useability.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

blakus

Post by blakus »

This is interesting that Bricasti is allowing this to be a paid product. I thought their deal was that M7 impulses/models could be released as long as they were free.
blakus.com / soundcloud / youtube / facebook
Kontakt 5, Cubase Pro 8 (64bit), Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 3770k @3.9GHz, 32GB RAM

wst3

Post by wst3 »

The world has gone upside down I tell ya!

I had the same reaction with respect to the IRs themselves, and the rather lopsided pricing. None of which will stop me from giving it a spin, the Bricasti impulse responses in Reverberate are good!

However, it's going to have to be darned near the Bricasti hardware to earn my purchase (and it could be) - I'm so impressed with the Exponential R4 and Nimbus... too many tools!!!!

Actually, the problem is too many really good tools!

Udo

Post by Udo »

Wasn't there a FREE M7 IR download available in the past? No time to check now, but I think the source was in The Netherlands.

Udo

Post by Udo »

Sampiicity by Peter Roos
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

"This library is completely FREE, to comply with the request from Bricasti that it is allowed to create impulse responses with the M7, as long as these IRs are not included in any commercial product".

The library includes True Stereo and Mono-to-Stereo IRs of 134 M7 presets.

EDIT: For FREE read "Donationware".

Chris Hurst

Post by Chris Hurst »

I was on the beta testing team for this and I really like it.

Pretty light on cpu and has a much better browser than Reverberate 2 (more like slate's Verbsuite classics) and uses the same principles as those as far as its IR's go.

The big thing with this is that it enables you manipulate the IR's and get it all to behave like a convolution reverb, which is pretty clever.

I'd suggest trying the demo and going from there.

Udo

Post by Udo »

Chris, have you tried the Samplicity Bricasti M7 for comparison?

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Chris Hurst wrote:I was on the beta testing team for this and I really like it.

Pretty light on cpu and has a much better browser than Reverberate 2 (more like slate's Verbsuite classics) and uses the same principles as those as far as its IR's go.

The big thing with this is that it enables you manipulate the IR's and get it all to behave like a convolution reverb, which is pretty clever.

I'd suggest trying the demo and going from there.
Thanks for the confirmation on that. Other than the clearly better browser, any other compelling reason to buy this if I have Rev2, as the latter also allows for complete manipulation? And did you mean that it gets it all to behave like an algo verb? What a barrage of questions... trying diligently not to spend any unnecessary, precious time "fixing things that aren't broken."

Udo: I used the Samplicity IRs for a while a few years back. They were fine at the time, but after having heard and used the ones that come with Reverberate 2, there's quite the difference. These just sound more alive and color the sound in a pleasing way.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Chris Hurst

Post by Chris Hurst »

I haven't tried the Samplecity Bricasti M7 for comparison I'm afraid, but this one does sound good.

As for more detail, Matt (from Liquisonics) has posted this at VI-C which describes it better than I could!

"The real difference, aside from some improvements in sampling and playback resulting from customising 3 dedicated Fusion-IR convolvers to low/early/late reverbs (not practical in a general purpose convolution), is that it feels like using an M7 because of the attention paid to the controls and huge amount of multi-sampling so you can pick whatever decay time you want (try doing that on a regular convolution). Some of the controls that I think really make the M7 what it is are the roll-off filters, with convolution you're usually stuck with the filtering you get at sample time, but not here. Plus the behaviour of the pre-delay, decay time and delay are really representative of the unit. I could go on but it all adds up to a reverb that behaves like it's algorithmic, and with the sound being so close to the M7, that justifies it being its own product."

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

The first few hours I wasn’t too impressed with this plug-in, even to the point of thinking: I hope this doesn’t sound anything like a Bricasti, because if this is what a Bricasti sounds like, I honestly don’t understand what the fuss is all about.

But those first few hours have passed, and I’ve grown rather more enthusiastic. And accustomed to the tune, it whistles night and noon.
While I’m still not sure about several of the larger spaces — there’s something whirly going in some of these long tails which might work very well in a mix (haven’t tried that yet), but which, on its own, I don’t really like the sound of —, the short reverbs however are rrrrreally good.

I also like the ‘Ambience’ category very much. Some of these presets don’t generate a discernible reverb, but more a sort of suggestion of air around a source signal. Very, very useful. (To give one example: a great way to push a bass back in the mix without having to give it potentially dangerous amounts of reverb.)

Well designed, very versatile — with lots of control of just about everything you ever might want to control (except stereowidth), good sound (not quite “Wow! Never heard reverb like this before!”-good perhaps, but still pretty good and sounding really different from everything else I own), so I switched the demo license for a permanent one. I'm already using it on a job, and to good effect, which was an extra stimulant.

_

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

But I assume that your recent posts on the other forum about it instantly making specific samples better are satiric in nature.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

playz123

Post by playz123 »

That similar thread on the other forum has now been locked because apparently it was providing free advertising for the developer. Sigh. How does one ever discuss a product without providing free advertising for it? Guess we are doing that here too. Or maybe we are just trying to discuss a new product....period?
Frank E. Lancaster

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

playz123 wrote:That similar thread on the other forum has now been locked because apparently it was providing free advertising for the developer. Sigh. How does one ever discuss a product without providing free advertising for it? Guess we are doing that here too. Or maybe we are just trying to discuss a new product....period?
(as I understand it, the VI-Control thread was started by someone other than the developer in Commercial Announcements, which is designed to be advertisers-only. Mine is not to reason why the thread couldn't simply have been moved and continued. Since we have no advertisers, sponsors, cheerleaders nor lobbyists here, anyone is free to discuss any product without fear or favour. In that spirit, carry on everyone - suggest that if there are any other matters arising forum-wise, folks continue it either in Forum Matters or in an appropriate thread in The Big Wide World, so keep this one unfettered and free for all things Bracasti / LiquidSonics. Cheers all)

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Guy is right. I made a mistake earlier today by bringing some of my annoyance (over what occurred as described above) into this thread.
Shouldn't have done that. Sorry. Anyway, it resulted in three posts which are now moved to The Big Wide World area and appended to this topic.

_

ok_tan

Post by ok_tan »

i get more and more impressed by this plugin (the professional), it adds some colouring that i really like - and some of the ambiences add a tiny bit of space that helps to place instruments in a mix. nice plugin ☺
thx! theo

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

I don't have permission to post the files here, but I did post them over on VI-C for a comparison between the hardware M7 and 7th Heaven (still can't get used to typing that name). I apologize if it's bad form to crosslink but I thought this would be interesting for anyone who is in the market for either.

http://vi-control.net/community/threads ... st-4082336
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

No apologies necessary, Luke. On the contrary: thanks!

Sadly, that comparison isn't very illuminating, I find. (Other than that I couldn't have wished for a better example than the Tchaikovsky (as well as that sonically congested Epic excerpt) to illustrate the point which I made on the previous pages of that thread: start with bad sound, and it doesn’t make one bit of difference whether you use a Bricasti or a plugin: the result will always sound bad.
Whatever the Bricasti is contributing to those mixes that the SeventhHeaven is, allegedly, unable to contribute, it is completely torpedoed by the dominance (in the end result) of the weak sound of the source track.

Those two drum examples don’t really sell whatever reverb was used on them either, I have to say. Just about any decent software reverb can give you a result like that.

The only comparison I found marginally interesting — only marginally though — is the one with the synth patch, but even here: it's certainly no compelling evidence in the case for the Bricasti being the vastly superior of the two.

And the thing is: I'm totally convinced that the hardware is superior, in just about every respect in which one reverb can be superior to another, but it needs far-far-far better quality source material than what these weak examples and comparisons have to offer (and certainly no full mixes with some reverb poured over them) for that difference to become a meaningful one.

_

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Sad but true :-)

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Actually Piet, I agree completely. When JSB sent me the files, he asked for my opinion before posting, and I focused on the differences, trying to identify the character of each reverb. However, once that was over, it was immediately clear that there are far more important elements that need to be addressed before purchasing such an expensive box: I'd much rather spend the money on (at least) a real soloist for for every project - as I learned yet again in a screening last night, that really makes a vast difference. So I know how I won't be spending my money.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

wst3

Post by wst3 »

this is really tempting... but I need to behave.

Who typed that???

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Hannes_F

Post by Hannes_F »

Without yet having installed it and while being a loyal LiquidSonics client (I think I bought all their software so far except the Slate thing) the original price honestly seemed to me like an overplayed hand. There was something about it like 'I've been too modest in the years so this time I'll try what I can get'. Did not work out obviously.

Now the price is down to what feels right I feel like trying it out.
Traveller in boundlessness, at home in the Now
http://www.strings-on-demand.com