There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Samples From Mars / MPC60

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Samples From Mars / MPC60

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Clearly in an effort to help Guy in his quest for drumsounds from the 80's-90's, Samples From Mars have released a virtual MPC60 stuffed with 2800 samples from the 606, 707, 808, 909, CR78, Rhythm 700, SP1200, SH101, Arp 2600 and more.

Here's what they say: "Designed by Roger Linn in 1988, the MPC60 is one of the best sounding samplers of all time and, (along with the SP1200), has shaped the sound of classic 90s hip hop, R&B and house music with its unmistakeable grit, warmth and punch. And despite looking like a cash register and having a resolution of only 12bits, this sampler still sounds better than any modern equivalent boasting higher specs. Quite simply, what you put into it comes out sounding better."

Contents:
- (2800) 24-bit WAV MPC60 Samples.
- Bass Drum, Snare, Rim, Clap, HH, Cabasa, Percussion, Tom, & Cymbal Hits.
- Samples include: Modded 606, 707, 808, 909, CR78, Rhythm 700, SP1200, SH101, Arp 2600, Vinyl & More.
- (20) pre-made 16 Hit Kits for fast loading.
- 26 MPC Groove MIDI Files.
- Ableton includes 1 master drum rack containing all samples, with sample select and hardware pitch macros, 3 drum racks containing pre-made kits.
- Kontakt, Logic & Reason include: 18 individual hit instruments + 5 pre-made kit instruments.
- Maschine & Battery include: 20 pre-made kits.
- 208 MB Unzipped Per Format.

Price: currently on sale for $29.00 but will *very* soon be $39.00.

_

X-bassist

Re: Samples From Mars / MPC60

Post by X-bassist »

More madness? Why Guy? Easter's over, make them stop! ;)

I'm actually surprised I haven't seen this earlier, since everyone was using them in the 90's. Only 13 hours left on the sale. Strange I can find nothing on the interface (for Kontakt). Is there one? Kontakt 5.6.5 is required.

Guy Rowland

Re: Samples From Mars / MPC60

Post by Guy Rowland »

...thing is, I was really after more obscure stuff. Everyone seems to gravitate to the same big heavy hitters - the 909, 808, CR78 etc. Granted, the Linn was a big one that was usually done so badly it barely sounded like a Linn, or at least some of the best known Linn sounds. In the end, I haven't really found any one single source that has everything, but instead have grabbed all sorts of obscure stuff from here there and everywhere. Stuff like the Korg KR-55... you actually hear that in all kinds of places in the late 70s / early 80s but it's rarely in collections like this. Then there is a true holy grail of unsampled vintage kit, the Movement Systems Drum Computer - only 3 left in the world, apparently - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_ ... m_Computer so I'm not holding my breath, admittedly.

This looks like a good option, some minor variations on the theme (that are in turn quite well covered elsewhere) but is very reasonably priced. I think the Sonic Couture one the other day had the edge in terms of a more original end product, but was a) much more expensive and b) felt limited in going to just 6 tracks, all based round the EDM line up. My dream machine remains elusive, but I'm getting by pretty nicely with Battery, Kontakt, and a shed load of samples from all over the place.