There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Linear Phase EQ questions-"Waves" sale

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
1gc

Linear Phase EQ questions-"Waves" sale

Post by 1gc »

RUNNING: WIN 7, CUBASE 8.5, KONTAKT 5, VEP PRO,RME 400, AKAI MPK88, 5 2TB 7500 DRIVES, 64 GB

Hi!

I have read over the years that a more effective way to EQ Strings is by using either a Linear Phase EQ or an FIT.

Given the advances in Plugins over the last few years, does the opening statement still carry weight?

Waves has their Linear Phase EQ on sale right now for under $50.00.

I'm asking because I don't have a Linear Phase or FIT in my collection, though I do have several 6 to 8 Band EQs,i.e -Izotope, Cubase , Vienna Suite etc.

Beyond the "I don't have one " or the "How can I afford to pass this up for these savings, even if I don't need it", reasonnings, would this Waves Linear Phase EQ be considered a have to have purchase for ones kit?

Thanks in advance!!

g.c.

ZeeCount

Re: Linear Phase EQ questions-"Waves" sale

Post by ZeeCount »

Based on my understanding, linear phase eqs are only useful if you are eqing individual mics of a multi mic recording to reduce the impact of the phase changes that the eq will cause. If you are just eqing the sum of strings I don't see how using linear phase would be of any advantage over a traditional eq.

Here's a good video that demonstrates the difference between normal and linear phase eqs. It's about the Fabfilter Pro-Q but it's applicable to all linear phase eqs.

Soundcloud __________ Youtube

Topic author
1gc

Re: Linear Phase EQ questions-"Waves" sale

Post by 1gc »

Thanks Zeecount.
The recommendations are dated and were directed at sampled strings several years ago.
But I'll get this instead, even without a sale price. I've heard so much good stuff about this companies plugins but didn't know about the L.Phase component with the Fab Filter.
Thanks again for the heads up and for the effort with this video!
The best--
g.c.