There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Uproar RAW 8-String Baritone Guitar

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Simone Coen

Uproar RAW 8-String Baritone Guitar

Post by Simone Coen »

Hi guys!

just a quick heads-up to let you know we just released a new instrument for Kontakt (Full Version Only) 5.5.2 an up.

It's a ESP Baritone electric guitar tuned from F#1 and up (so 10 semitones down in respect to a 'common' 6 string guitar).
Being a rhythm oriented library in terms of sound and articulations, we sampled 2 full octaves (F#1 to F#3) with 32 articulations + the fitting set of release samples.
We also have 4 to 6 round robins for most articulations and you can assign up to 20 articulations to 10 freely settable key-switches and velocity-switch combinations.
The scope of the project was to give users the chance to create extremely believable heavy guitar tracks, especially for people like us working and producing mainly for media (games, tv, cinema...).
We sampled 3 channels: 2 boutique amp rigs + DI signal (for virtual reamping or real reamping in your DAW/Studio).
These can be arranged in a single part or in dual part scheme to recreate double-tracking.
Thanks to a part-based micro-delay (in tens of milliseconds), part-detuning, a Haas button, 2 parts and 3 channels a lot of different sounds and configurations are possible with this little, easy to use beast.
I personally had a lot of fun sampling this with the great artist and man Gianluca Ferro is, an extremely talented guitarist who accepted the risk of dealing with another guitarist turned tech-head and audio engineer like myself.

Below here find links to videos and other resources.

Uproar RAW is 3.85 GB compressed at 44.1/24, comes with 20 NKI + 3 NKM (for multi out) and sports 14709 samples for a launch offer price of US $ 59.00 at 33% OFF list.

For more info ask here or head to: http://www.chocolateaudio.com/products/uproar-raw

Video with very fast paced part and DAW sequence shown (slower BPM follows)
https://youtu.be/ZJDmBwPDBb0

Video with another part and DAW sequence shown
https://youtu.be/N9vosoNOQnU

Video Walk-throughs to the articulations + the engine we built for this baby.
https://youtu.be/IhnV0pWc_OM

https://youtu.be/xrFtxl9devM

https://youtu.be/RmKgNYegzKk

https://youtu.be/Q_Ma-HKuMzg

https://SoundCloud.com/chocolateaudio/sets/uproar-raw

I hope you dig it!

Simone
04 Artics.png
01 Mixer.png
Uproar-RAW-Box-web.png

KyleJudkins

Re: Uproar RAW 8-String Baritone Guitar

Post by KyleJudkins »

damn F#... and I feel like A is too low sometimes...

gotta give the people what they want though... one thing I would say is I feel like adding the option for like *slightly* bad cable(just some low noise) in between notes would keep it sounding way more realistic - for those who don't want that crazy quantized guitar sound... but I'm not that demographic - but the option would be easy enough to toss in there(and I assume easy enough to script? no notes = loop noise) and might catch a few extra sales

its crazy how modern metal productions sound these days... I can't imagine why it became so popular... a bit off topic, I'm sorry haha

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

the samples are not cut for noise. It's the noise that didn't end in the samples in the first place because we used downward expanders since it's mandatory for any decent usage with those kind of gains.
I know quite a few people working with those kind of tracks and genres and it's the only way to get something that is not un-intelligible.
Regarding quantization: the idea was to make the part as readable as possible and to make people understand that you can even write parts in Sibelius and make them sound like that.

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

And thanks for the reply anyway... don't want to sound unpolite. I was just making our point regarding the production style. The stuff I do as an engineer is usually more on the acoustic side of things but I see the all of the beauty of this beast as it is. No-noise included :)

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

And of course that's something which is already in our "eventually to do list" for e potential expanded release in the future

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Oh yeah, it's not your production style, that's the genre/sound these days

More or less my gripes with that, not your samples.

Nails the sound thougg

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

Thanks for your opinion!

Simone

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Simone Coen wrote:Thanks for your opinion!

Simone
What gauge did you end up using for the F sharp? It sounds pretty good

I'm glad you didn't go too heavy with the gauge, don't need THAT much low end... good clean warm (for this) tone

Is the DI in there too?

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

Right now I can't remember the set of strings we used but it was not an high tension wire size string :)
I am asking Gianluca to find out.
Yes the DI is there too.

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

Checked with Gianluca: the gauge of the strings is .010 to .074, thanks for asking!

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Ah 10s, that's what it sounded like... but I don't play an 8 do I nevet know those gauges..

It's great it's got the di, so you can swap impulses around to get the right mix

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

Hi,

the DI is clean, not from the amp, is from the guitar.
Of course there's no 10s in there, since we sampled only the first two octaves we barely reach the 2nd string (B)

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Simone Coen wrote:Hi,

the DI is clean, not from the amp, is from the guitar.
Of course there's no 10s in there, since we sampled only the first two octaves we barely reach the 2nd string (B)
10s are shorthand for a set of strings with the highest E (pitch) is .10

Standard would be a set of 9s, but it's a bit thin - more noticeable on the low end, bUT sometimes people go wayyy to far with string gauges and end up sounding closer to a bass(which doesn't eat distortion as well)

Yeah I ask about the DI because then they could reamp it through whatever, including a real amp if they wanted... I've got a kemper(for instance)but it would be kind of weird for me to pick this up, as I've got the 7 string less than a foot away from my PC XD

But a product like that always makes me think of using it with sone thing like guitar pro while writing...

Do people still use guitarpro? Haha

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

Seems like they use it since they just released a new version

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Simone Coen wrote:Seems like they use it since they just released a new version
No joke I used to use it as notation software... entering drums on gp5 was way quicker for me than any notation software, and I already owned guitarpro5, so the few hundred for finale/sibelius didn't make sense

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

makes sense. Never really used it myself, but I made, I think 100% of the samples that are in GP6 and GP7

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Simone Coen wrote:makes sense. Never really used it myself, but I made, I think 100% of the samples that are in GP6 and GP7
Woah, small world!

When I tried gp6 it was sluggish and akward for me - so I never picked it up... but that said, made lots of midi metal with gp4 and gp5 \m/

you could disable the tab view, pull up an onscreen piano, and enter it in that way, much quicker than dragging notes around... but you couldn't get a grand staff (unless you separated the hands into separate midi tracks)

Topic author
Simone Coen

Post by Simone Coen »

I hardly ever used GP in my life. But doing such a huge sampling job (and in two different periods: 2007/2008 and 2012) has been awesome for us.
This gives an idea of software development times: in 2012 they were already working on GP7 and planned for the extra sounds they wanted and hired us to do them.
The software was then release in 2017. And they haven't been beating around the bush.

Cheers,

Simone