There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Softube Gets Into the Tape Game

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Marius

Softube Gets Into the Tape Game

Post by Marius »

They've introduced Softube Tape:

More info: https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=tape

Looks like three models with a decent array of more advanced controls for those who want to tweak. Nothing too fancy, but I'll be interested to see how it sounds compared to Slate's, Waves', UAD's, etc.
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

kpc

Re: Softube Gets Into the Tape Game

Post by kpc »

I am a fan of SoftTube and this looks interesting. I'm not a big fan of the skumorphism/moving tape reels. I used to dig that kind of GUI, now I find my self preferring less eye candy. But I am sure it sounds great - as everything I've heard from SoftTube does.

Interesting too, the Studio One only feature.
- kayle

catsass

Post by catsass »

The market is currently saturated with plugins of this nature. I think Softube Tape (clever name) will need to bring something extra, super-duper special to the table if they wish to stick their head above the crowd. And not just an exclusive feature for Studio One users. Or a red tape reel. :D

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I'm not entirely convinced that emulating tape, even just the features of tape we like (cause I don't want wow and flutter!) is not trivial, so it will be interesting to see what "light on the CPU" means.

And as with nearly every other purchase these days, I do find myself saying "hey self - aren't you satisfied with what you got?" and I am very happy with the UAD tape emulations.

So I was all set to let this pass when they talked about the cross-talk feature. Even if the tape emulation falls a little short of UAD (which I do not think is a real concern) I think I'd get it just for the Cross-talk feature, and especially as implemented in Studio One.

I do a little crosstalk think now when I really want it, but I have to really want it because it takes forever to set up and tweak. This could be just the ticket. Heck, maybe they should release just a cross-talk plugin!

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I'm using Studio One Pro 3.5

This is very exciting news for me :)

Thanks for the info.

* Update : Purchased it.