There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Output Platform: A Desk for Composers

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Marius

Output Platform: A Desk for Composers

Post by Marius »

This is pretty sweet—makers of Rev, Exhale, etc.—have made a desk!

Check it out:
https://output.com/products/platform

Lots of nifty features too. Cable management included, split-middle keyboard tray with included risers that you can use to lift the board up higher if needed, rack spaces, and what looks to be a really solid build.
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

byzantium

Re: Output Platform: A Desk for Composers

Post by byzantium »

There's also a page to check if your keyboard fits (mine doesn't): https://output.com/products/platform/keyboards

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I like the design, doesn't fit my setup though.

Maybe I'll use it as inspiration whenever I get around to making a new desk

Erik Cordes

Post by Erik Cordes »

I like the design, it's simple, modern and elegant at the same time.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

I think the design is a massive fail, unfortunately. Way too many 88-key boards are not supported.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, I share the ambivalence, Mario. It feels like a desk for yesteryear, also. 9 1U racks will be 9 too many for a lot of people - I have 1 1/2, for example. I think it needs more imaginative / flexible solutions to our current setups - big midi keyboards, smaller mixers / surfaces, vast monitor space.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Heheh. I'm in the "9U racks is not enough" camp. My desk has 3x4U racks, which guys from Buso Audio were glad to modify for me.

https://busoaudio.com/products/artist-8 ... 1062175111

Very happy with that desk. I also got an additional 12U separate rack unit from them to tuck below the desk, to the left (computer is to the right).
WP_20170627_11_23_58_Pro.jpg

I will need to reshuffle what's mounted in the racks since I got some new gear recently, eheheh. :)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ha, there you go. Perhaps that's the thing - these days our needs are so broad, a one-size-fits-all solution isn't going to work. Something modular makes more sense perhaps.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I'm trying to imagine the neck injuries from putting a 48" display on top.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

You mean the desk on my pic? Yeah that was never the intention (once I upgrade, and it'd be 43", not 48"), it would be either wall-mounted behind the desk or on an Ergotron "hand" in that case, which saves me the trouble of dealing with bottom bezel and monitor stand.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

EvilDragon wrote:You mean the desk on my pic? Yeah that was never the intention (once I upgrade, and it'd be 43", not 48"), it would be either wall-mounted behind the desk or on an Ergotron "hand" in that case, which saves me the trouble of dealing with bottom bezel and monitor stand.
Either desk... I use a 48" monitor and wish it were just a littttttle shorter

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

If they made a version without the platform section in the middle - to fit, say, a giant iMac - I'd be more interested. Though as others have said, doesn't quite fit the style I'm looking for.

That all said, I do appreciate that Output is making a (seemingly) more affordable audio desk.
Be an upstander.

Topic author
Marius

Post by Marius »

I have a feeling this is the best all-rounder design they could do, and it’s probably a bit of an experiment for them. A jumping off point. It hits a very appealing price/performance ratio that likely covers a lot of peoples’ needs (I don’t think 88 key controllers are as widespread as they used to be).

If they find success with this configuration, they’ll very likely expand the desk line-up to cover the edge cases as well—why wouldn’t they, after all.
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

For the money it doesn't seem too special to me. I'm sure if you showed a picture of it to a local carpenter they could knock one up for less than half the price?

mybootsonfire

Post by mybootsonfire »

Killiard wrote:For the money it doesn't seem too special to me. I'm sure if you showed a picture of it to a local carpenter they could knock one up for less than half the price?
It kind of looks like the whole thing can be built out of one sheet of plywood. Even if you spring for the fancier sanded plywood one sheet would set you back ~$30.
-chris

dciurlizza

Post by dciurlizza »

Marius wrote:I have a feeling this is the best all-rounder design they could do, and it’s probably a bit of an experiment for them. A jumping off point. It hits a very appealing price/performance ratio that likely covers a lot of peoples’ needs (I don’t think 88 key controllers are as widespread as they used to be).
Yeah Marius! I feel like you're right on the money.

Just from working with Output and their products, this desk looks like it's made for electronic music producers. I think the majority of Output's current demographic is playing with 61-keys and below, drum pads, launchpads, etc.

That said, I'm a film composer and my M-Audio 88-key fits on this thing - I'd totally buy this if my expansion needs weren't already surpassing it.

I'm really glad Output's still experimenting. Platform's beautiful, well-intentioned, and a damn good effort.