There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

A good way to see if anything juicy came out of namm?

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
KyleJudkins

A good way to see if anything juicy came out of namm?

Post by KyleJudkins »

Anything to come out of this last namm for our realm?

I'm still patiently waiting for the new spat, would very much like to see what the new version will bring, as that has been the primary deterrent for me not spending unreasonable money on yet another reverb(essentially) on a quest for the holy grail.

But there are other products in sure that would catch our attention?

bbunker

Re: A good way to see if anything juicy came out of namm?

Post by bbunker »

Do you mean Summer NAMM? If you're waiting for news on SPAT, then you definitely won't find it there, because IRCAM wasn't presenting anything. Usually they wouldn't - Summer NAMM is very much for the 'guys-with-guitars' camp, so the only software people there are IK and Positive Grid with their modelers, and Presonus and Eventide because they see those guys as a core of their target audience. So, no news to find there really, unless you want a boutique 12-string made of hand-sawn Cypress. ;)

I checked the Messe catalog and IRCAM aren't there either, and I don't remember them being at winter NAMM. So - go spend unreasonable money freely????

Honestly there aren't many big VI/Software 'reveals' at these shows anymore, because they aren't being sold in the brick and mortar places that need to get excited at Winter NAMM or Messe by big OMG moments and flashing lights. Or, that's my take anyway.

Topic author
KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

as a guy with a guitar I resent that.

Really though, I guess I never really thought about it - I've pretty much only ever been interested in more than one instrument/writing/recording in general... So everytime namm usually had something useful coming out that caught my interest for the sake of recording in some way shape or form... never physically been there - so I didn't realize it was a guitar heavy event...

infact I think I've intentionally never cared that much about guitar things coming out - as I've always felt like its been mostly locked in time. I literally just bought my first 2 newish instruments in probably 8 or 9 years? And only because I wanted to switch back to 6/4 string whenever I'm in the mood to actually play guitar.

Drums on the other hand - I kept waiting for axis to release a remote hi hat, considered trick's remote hi hat - ect... but I've had my axis pedals for 8 or 9 years as well...

I did watch for a bit when audio interfaces were getting better and better - and drum brains/Vdrums... but since switching to Vdrums I've had about 0 incentive to keep up with it.

It's kind of sad knowing the only toys I want right now are software XD my new guitar setup sounds absolutely killer - I'm just considering picking up a darkglass B7k or alpha omega... even then I'm sure I could find a good setup for my bass through the kemper if I wanted to skip the plugin step altogether

bbunker

Post by bbunker »

Well there's two events, the Summer one in Nashville, and the Winter one in Anaheim. The Summer one is pretty much just guitar-oriented stuff. The winter one is the more general event. But the thing about the conventions is that they're basically built for brick-and-mortar chains. So the stuff that sells heavily, in physical form, is there - there's the arena with the DJ galaxy, and more entry-level instruments than you can imagine. The better gear is there, but only to convince some buyer from Scranton that the feature set in X keyboard is going to move units.

The thing is that the Winter show is where the announcements go, because fewer buyers go to Summer to do business. They tend to go to just keep up contacts, or whatever business speak for 'go on vacation to Nashville for a week' you prefer. They're enjoying that vacation in the winter in Anaheim, but that's when the serious stuff happens. So - you'll have to wait until January for any NAMM-related news!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

....but as someone who went to either or both for about 25 years, fewer and fewer software companies did their reveals at Anaheim over time, because it became easier and cheaper to do them online.

The best winter NAMM.reports are usually done by the charming, witty and erudite Mike Greene. I had the privilege of buying his very first product, an acoustic drum soundset for Stylus RMX. Between me and the 9 other guys who bought it, I doubt he recouped the cost of the booth! :) On the other hand, he had bigger plans for Realitone.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin