There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Surfer EQ2 by Radix. Any users?

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
1gc

Surfer EQ2 by Radix. Any users?

Post by 1gc »

Hello.

Does anyone have any experience using the Radix Surfer EQ2?

I've just read an article in S.O.S.'s Mix Rescue wherin Neik Rogers, the mixer, makes use of Surfer EQ. I've gone onto the Radix web site

"www.soundradix.com/products/surfer-eq/"

and watched a video and I like what I'm seeing so far.

But before making a $ committment I wanted to seek experienced views if possible.

Thanks!!

g.c.

Jack Weaver

Re: Surfer EQ2 by Radix. Any users?

Post by Jack Weaver »

1gc wrote: Does anyone have any experience using the Radix Surfer EQ2?
Love it. Use it (judiciously) all the time. Mainly for one thing - knocking out the fundamental (first harmonic) of some specific string instruments in some very popular sample libraries. It takes out the body resonance - when needed. Note that this only works on individual note lines. In other words, if you are playing a chord with the effected instrument you are out of luck.

It's important not to use it on too many harmonics on the same instruments as this will induce too much phase distortion. It does also work well for indentifying which harmonic is the offending 3k to 4k annoying tone in violins and and will notch out that harmonic somewhat like a moving De-esser.

Quickly - what SurferEQ does is that you choose which harmonic you wish to boost or cut and in 'Surfer' mode it surfs or moves along with the single line melody being played.

Very useful. It's interesting to watch the analyzer display move along with the music. I often used it just before an instance of FabFilter ProQ2. I use the FabFilter for general EQ purposes and the Surfer for the effect noted above.

I'm sure other people use it for other things. This is what I find it useful for to date.

Topic author
1gc

Re: Surfer EQ2 by Radix. Any users?

Post by 1gc »

Thank you Mr. Weaver. The review that brought it to my attention used it the same way as you describe in your Bold print "QUICKLY" sentence, and he also used it as a partner with Fab Filter's ProQ2.
Thanks again. Something to think about.
g.c.