Become a member to see more. To view and access the entire forum, register today. It's totally free.

Fiedler Audio / Stage (placement and stereo-toolkit plugin)

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

heisenberg
near Vancouver Canada

Re: Fiedler Audio / Stage (placement and stereo-toolkit plugin)

Postby heisenberg » Aug 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Piet De Ridder wrote:Andrew, if, over the next couple of days, some of SPAT's parameters should have you scratching your head, we have a few videos that go over most of the features and functions that are of immediate practical use_

Thanks Piet. Had not seen that thread. Will be pouring over that material over the next few days.

I see from a quick view of it that SPAT is not new to a good number of the stalwarts here. And further to one of the points you made in the older thread, I tried SPAT on a Spitfire French Horn patch yesterday and the results were oh so yuk. In hindsight it makes sense when you are dealing with a "blooming" sound that repositioning is going to be tenuous.

Andrew Stone

playz123
Nanaimo, BC Canada

Postby playz123 » Aug 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Piet De Ridder wrote:Frank,

Once you’re familiar with those SPAT’s parameters that matter to how most of us would use the software, and provided you understand how SPAT needs to be used — I mention this because a surprising number of people keep confusing it with a reverb — SPAT is, in my opinion, dead easy to work with. Seriously.
Much easier in fact, I find, than any possible combination of reverbs and additional plugins which many of us rely on to create/suggest space and depth in our mixes, precisely because (1) SPAT is an all-in one-stop solution and (2) it’s frighteningly good at what it does.

Insert SPAT in an instrument channel in your DAW, define the environment (type, character and size of the virtual room) and you’re ready to move the source around that virtual room in any way you like, and it’ll always sound convincing and sonically uncompromised. All this in a matter of under half-a-minute. Honestly.

Sure, you can tweak things as long and as deep as you like, if you want, and exploiting the full power of the software — like, for example, automating the width and orientation of the projection of the source (to simulate the ‘mic technique’ of professional performers) or bringing in parameters beyond the handful of essential ones — does perhaps require a bit more time and knowledge, but that’s a next-level usage of SPAT which certainly isn’t required for most day-to-day spatialization challenges that come our way. Truthfully.

_

Thanks so much Piet, for the reassurances. Okay, I'm convinced. :) While I'm am not always looking for "quick and easy" or endless presets when it comes to a plugin, I also find, that with plugins that have an over abundance of controls, it often takes an enormous amount of time to get suitable results. Having many parameters that can be adjusted can be a good thing sometimes, but not if they totally interfere with one's workflow, especially if time is of the essence. In any event will keep an eye on sales or whatever in the future, and hopefully some day be able to purchase and explore SPAT more thoroughly. Also, good point previously about trying to relocate instruments that have been recorded 'in place' and also include reverberation. That is a challenge faced by any stage placement plugin, including SPAT.

Frank E. Lancaster

Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Sep 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Linos wrote:"Spat Revolution is a tool for professionals, so it will cost around 1000$" - didn't the IRCAM guy say something like that in the video? If you can't afford Spat, have a good look at Magix Independence Origami. It doesn't hold up to Spat feature-wise - it is closer to VSS in that regard - but if sounds very very good if you have good impulse responses to load. And there are many more effect plugins included, some of which are very good as well. The stereo version is included in Independence free. 65$ if you want to upgrade to the surround (and true-stereo)-version.

Spat is out. $1495 (or was it euros?).
Not sure what the upgrade will be.
Email said 35% off.
AAX Dsp, that’s nice.
/Anders

Edit: €1495....

tack
Ontario, Canada

Postby tack » Sep 16, 2017 5:35 pm

https://fluxhome.com/shop/ shows Spat Revolution at $1790 USD.

Hopefully people feel compelled to upgrade and there will be a bunch of resales of Spat v3 hitting the market at some reasonable prices.

- Jason

Luciano Storti
Los Angeles

Postby Luciano Storti » Sep 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Even with a 35% discount for existing owners it would cost $1163. I'm going to wait and see for a few months. Maybe the good folks at DontCrack will have a permanent discount going by then, like for most Flux products. Or maybe end-of-year-tax-purchase... I am too weak.

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...
Luke

Linos

Postby Linos » Sep 17, 2017 8:56 am

The pricing is geared towards postpro studios, not composers. We'll have to see if Spat revolution offers added value for composers over Spat. The good thing is that Spat Revolution may push prices down for second hand Spat licenses. But then again it's not like that it's impossible to get perfectly useable results without Spat. Before spending too much money on it I rather use it for new sample libraries. That has a much bigger impact on the resulting sound than spatialization/reverb.

Luciano Storti
Los Angeles

Postby Luciano Storti » Sep 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Linos wrote:The pricing is geared towards postpro studios, not composers. We'll have to see if Spat revolution offers added value for composers over Spat. The good thing is that Spat Revolution may push prices down for second hand Spat licenses. But then again it's not like that it's impossible to get perfectly useable results without Spat. Before spending too much money on it I rather use it for new sample libraries. That has a much bigger impact on the resulting sound than spatialization/reverb.

Undoubtedly, but we're known to work with live instruments too :) , and for that I'm hard-pressed to think of a better tool than SPAT, unless you're recording in a great room. Regardless, with the upgrade price still high and the still-developing SEND/RETURN plugins, I will stick with v3 for the time being.

Just a piano and some sketch paper please...

Luke

Return to “The Front Page”