Become a member to see more. To view and access the entire forum, register today. It's totally free.

Goodbye, Walter. And thank you for all the music

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
kpc
West Michigan

Goodbye, Walter. And thank you for all the music

Postby kpc » Sep 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Still love Steely Dan. Sad to hear of Walter Becker’s passing.

- kayle

Alex A
Bristol, UK

Re: Goodbye, Walter. And thank you for all the music

Postby Alex A » Sep 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Just heard, this is sad. R.I.P

Bebop LaCour

Postby Bebop LaCour » Sep 03, 2017 7:12 pm

Seriously 2017? NOT cool!

Even though I'm a youngster that was born after most of Steely Dan's output came out, it is the band that I've consistently returned to throughout my twenties and thirties. So many layers of complexity that you're never really "done" with it.

Walter was a great musician, and funny and charming the few times I got to see them in concert.

So long, and thanks for all the music.

Lawrence
New York City

Postby Lawrence » Sep 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Damnit. :::banging head violently against wall:::

My yout' is blowing away.

(YOU can call me Larry)

playz123
Nanaimo, BC Canada

Postby playz123 » Sep 04, 2017 5:04 am

So very very sad. I've admired and enjoyed Steely Dan since they released their first record all those years ago, and also Walter was far too young to leave us. Donald Fagen and the band intend to carry on, but Walter will still be missed.

Frank E. Lancaster

wst3
The Western Philly 'burbs

Postby wst3 » Sep 04, 2017 2:50 pm

I've been a fan of Steely Dan, and Walter Becker, for a very long time. I first heard tracks from "Can't Buy A Thrill" on the local "underground" FM and immediately started saving my pennies. I think I purchased every album within weeks of release. I spent some time trying to learn the guitar parts, but eventually accepted that these albums served a different purpose - learning about music, and sometimes just plain enjoying the music.

They wrote and recorded some remarkable stuff, they demonstrated some remarkable excesses in the studio, and they made a point of swimming up stream. I am grateful for all of these things!

Rest In Peace Walter Becker! And thank for everything!

heisenberg
near Vancouver Canada

Postby heisenberg » Sep 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Spent a portion of last night watching this remarkable documentary on the making of AJA.

Highly recommended for those of us grieving the passing of a super talented musician who was a part of the fabric of our lives. RIP Walter.

Andrew Stone

Piet De Ridder

Postby Piet De Ridder » Sep 05, 2017 5:53 am

Nothing to add to all of the above, except still more sadness, and an equally large amount of "Thank you, Mr. Becker"'s.

_

Lawrence
New York City

Postby Lawrence » Sep 05, 2017 7:25 am

Walter was a really tasteful player. It takes a certain kind of ego as a writer to step back from your own playing and hire (scads of) other people who will bring something new to the music you write.

R.I.P.

(YOU can call me Larry)

Bebop LaCour

Postby Bebop LaCour » Sep 05, 2017 8:46 am

In rememberance I listened to Steely Dan most of yesterday, but don't forget Walter's solo output that allowed him to get really trippy with his reggae / dub influences.

Love this song:

Quasar

Postby Quasar » Sep 06, 2017 4:13 am

Fine musician and songwriter. I admit Steely Dan was one of those bands who weren't quite my cup of tea, even though I always thought they were really good at what they did. (I do like Do it Again. Great song.)

RIP

byzantium
Ireland

Postby byzantium » Sep 06, 2017 6:04 pm

I have a ticket to see Steely Dan in Dublin in December... Thanks for all the great music and great times Walter.

(As I write this, strangely "Third World Man" comes in to my head. Great song).

DougF
Venice, CA

Postby DougF » Sep 23, 2017 4:38 pm

:( A wonderful composer, lyricist, musician and humorist. I love the video where he and Fagen are listening down to some of the solos they had guys in to record before jay graydon did his. They listen to one particularly ill fitting solo, there's a pause and Becker says, "speaks for itself, really". Gonna miss this guy a lot. In getting back into guitar playing about 10 years ago I played in a steely dan cover band for a couple of years. Never thought I'd join one of those kinds of bands, but it got my chops back together by finally learning the skunk baxter, larry carlton etc solos and all that wonderful comping on the records. I've always been a fan of theirs, wore out the grooves on countdown to ecstasy, royal scam, aja, loved the nightly... but after playing their music for a while I became even more hardcore. Morph The Cat, on one of fagen's solo records is just such a badass song. Fagen remarked about it, "why can't the apocalypse be sexy"?

Return to “The Front Page”