There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Modartt releases Pianoteq 6

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Modartt releases Pianoteq 6

Post by Piet De Ridder »

From the website:

Pianoteq 6: a mature technology
Pianoteq 6 brings numerous refinements in its engine and physical model, increasing realism and acoustic presence on all its instruments: acoustic pianos, electro-acoustic pianos, historical instruments and chromatic percussion. Pianoteq becomes, more than ever, an immense joy to play.

Authorized by Steinway & Sons
Steinway & Sons have approved the sound and playability of the Pianoteq virtual instruments Steinway Model D and Steinway Model B, which have gained from the refined physical model. These magnificent virtual grand pianos will appeal to all musicians in search of the most famous piano sound signature.

Increased compatibility and extra features
Pianoteq 6 facilitates your workflow by adding compatibility with the VST3 format and the ARM architecture (Linux version only, for example on Raspberry Pi 3 boards). It includes chord identification, and the tuning section has become even more advanced with new tools. The standalone version now offers a MIDI playlist, an improved MIDI archive, and the ability to export audio to FLAC and MP3 formats, in addition to WAV

_

tack

Re: Modartt releases Pianoteq 6

Post by tack »

Exciting! Piet, how do you find the new Model D compared to the D4 from previous versions?
- Jason

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Each and every model was redone! There's more detail, everywhere. Download demo and check it out.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Piet-I assume that's marketing copy?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Larry, yes, that’s text copied from the website. (I’ve edited the opening post accordingly.)

Jason, unmistakable improvement. Honestly. Have to add though that I haven’t tried the actual release version yet. Been playing and working with the beta patches until sometime mid-August (which is when I had to start dismantling my studio, to make room for the house renovation), and anything that might have been changed since is unknown to me.
But it’s an update I definitely wouldn’t think twice about. Anyone who can appreciate what Pianoteq has to offer, will quickly recognize v6 as another significant step forwards.

_

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

EvilDragon wrote:Each and every model was redone! There's more detail, everywhere. Download demo and check it out.
They do sound better than ever before in v6. Even the K2 is a much better buy, making the piano bundle a great pack. :). This video goes through the new pianos really well.

ComposerGuy

Post by ComposerGuy »

Oh- I love P-Teq. Thank you Moddart!
-Disclaimer: I have received free libraries from East West and several others. Don’t shoot me.

Mikeybabes

Post by Mikeybabes »

I bought Pianoteq stage at v5, and to be honest, I thought it was good but not great. My goto still remained Ivory II American Concert D. However, 29 euro to upgrade is pretty decent and it would have been rude not to.

This v6 is definitely seems to be a big step forward. I'm travelling at the moment, so I've only got a KK S61 keyboard and some of those iLoud monitors (amazing for their size - perfect for hotel room composing) - but I can't really make a proper judgement without a full weighted keybed and some bigger monitors. But it definitely seems to have been a jump forward. Who'd a thought you could get a pretty decent piano in a 34mb download eh ?

Quasar

Post by Quasar »

I just got Stage yesterday, and really like it. I tried a Pianoteq demo a long time ago and thought the sounds were "plastic-like" or something, even though the playability was great. But either my ears have changed or the modelling has gotten much, much better.

I wouldn't say the sonic quality is exactly better than my Vintage D, but it's no longer obviously inferior, and in terms of touch response and expression, Pianoteq kills any sample library I've ever tried, much closer to playing an acoustic piano.

tack

Post by tack »

EvilDragon wrote:Download demo and check it out.
Of course that's not really necessary. At $30 there was never really any chance of me not upgrading to 6.

Incremental, evolutionary improvements, I would say, but still very welcome. I admit I had high hopes for the new authorized Steinway D (a consistent favorite among my sample-based pianos) but it did not displace my beloved Bluethner, which, I'm happy to say, received a moderate bump in sonic quality.
- Jason

cadenzajon

Post by cadenzajon »

Any tips for using Pianoteq in a more orchestral mix, balancing it with an OT / Teldex template? And any piano model that would be particularly recommended for this context?

Alex A

Post by Alex A »

I was really happy to hear the improvements on the Model D, as it has been my go to for practice and recording (Stage version). Have been toying around with the Bluethner demo the last couple of hours as well, nice little beast.