Become a member to see more. To view and access the entire forum, register today. It's totally free.

iZotope O8N2: Ozone 8 Neutron 2 [12th Oct - upgrade price drop]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland
UK

Re: iZotope O8N2: Ozone 8 Neutron 2

Postby Guy Rowland » Oct 05, 2017 10:17 am

Both products are now released - https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix/neutron.html

This video perhaps shows much of the new features and workflow in both:

What is curious to me about this video - and I'd be keen to hear what others think - is that with the first track in particular, it sounds worse to my ears after the tonal balance corrections. Just to convince myself I wasn't going mad, I did an A/B with that poppier than pop track I really like at the moment by Rae Morris, which I think is a fabulous mix - loads of space with a rich bass and zing at the top end...

...all of which are absent from that Nuetroned track which sounds, well, flat and boring. And that should be an apples and apples comparison, both contemporary pop. Now on the more positive side, you can load your own reference targets, so I could load in Rae Morris and any other popping greatness I have lying around and it would - in theory - guide me to similar targets. This is appealing.

As to the visual mixer, I'm not really sure how useful this will be - it's definitely not a SPAT product, rather just a way of looking at what's already there plus a few bells and whistles such as width control. I wonder is it genuinely intelligent though - to be meaningful it has to not show you the technical gain and volume of a track, but how loud it is, which of course depends to a huge extent on the source and how it was recorded or generated. So potentially interesting, but possibly useless:

I'm not seeing any upgrade coupons to Neutron 2 in my account, only Music Production Bundle and Ozone 8 upgrades. The former is $299, which I'm not sure is worth it for what extra I'd get. I might well trial Neutron 2 first though.

Arcana

Re: iZotope O8N2: Ozone 8 Neutron 2: Released

Postby Arcana » Oct 05, 2017 2:25 pm

There's an upgrade path for $99 for the standard showing for me.

I'm not convinced about the visual mixer either. If it had included reverb I might have been, but all I can see it's useful for now is a quick way to A/B different settings of level/pan on the fly.

I'm going to test Tonal balance control though as that seems like the most useful addition.

I'm a bit miffed that the dynamic Eq doesn't appear to have an attack and release feature added. I don't know why they decided not to add that again.

Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Guy Rowland wrote:What is curious to me about this video - and I'd be keen to hear what others think - is that with the first track in particular, it sounds worse to my ears after the tonal balance corrections. Just to convince myself I wasn't going mad, I did an A/B with that poppier than pop track I really like at the moment by Rae Morris, which I think is a fabulous mix - loads of space with a rich bass and zing at the top end...

I'm fairly sure that Dan Grech-Marguerat who mixed and Dave Kutch who mastered DO IT! used their ears and not eyes when conducting their work.

Really love, and have all of, iZotope's plugins.

RE: that tonal balance thing.
WHY?
Sometimes you want that high end to almost distort to get a more vivid vibe, that bass-drum to kick really hard and the limiter to work with a slow release so that it hides a "flexible-timed" bass-player.
etc...

Saying that.
When I use a camera, not a phone, I often find myself resort to that "green" mode they have.
You know when the camera does the balancing and tonal work for me and my only input is a poorly framed picture.

Best,

Anders

J Rod

Postby J Rod » Oct 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Music production Bundle 2 (i have this) is now Music Production Suite, I have coupons to MPS at 299$. I feel all that are minor updates to O7N7, dont think that this update cost 299$. I'm not convinced.

Topic author
Guy Rowland
UK

Postby Guy Rowland » Oct 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Just received this from iZotope - good on them.

At iZotope, we make it a point to stay connected to our community of passionate customers. Whether it's product research, surveys, or reading the comments on social media, your opinion matters to us. Last week, we announced Ozone 8 and Neutron 2, and some Music Production Bundle 2 customers expressed concern over pricing.

Effective today through October 31, you can now upgrade to the O8N2 Bundle for the introductory price of $199. The O8N2 Bundle includes Ozone 8 Advanced, Neutron 2 Advanced, and the new Tonal Balance Control plug-in. You still have the option of getting the Music Production Suite with RX 6 Standard for $299.

We are extremely proud of the new versions of Ozone and Neutron. A lot of hard work, research, and effort went into creating these two products. We hope this new price change will allow more customers to get access to our new products and enjoy the integrated workflow of Ozone 8 and Neutron 2.

Might give me a kick to trial the thing properly.

Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Guy Rowland wrote:Might give me a kick to trial the thing properly.

Keep us updated :thumbsup:

/Anders

Topic author
Guy Rowland
UK

Re: iZotope O8N2: Ozone 8 Neutron 2 [12th Oct - upgrade price drop]

Postby Guy Rowland » Oct 14, 2017 9:09 pm

I've read a few positive comments from those with the plugins, especially with regard to the tonal balance element. This is a fairly interesting piece from the designer of the tech with a lot more detail on how it was created and how it works.

https://www.izotope.com/en/community/bl ... ug-in.html

X-bassist

Postby X-bassist » Oct 16, 2017 7:09 pm

Guy Rowland wrote:
J Rod wrote:This is expecupation and is not confirmed but Music Store announce O8N2 like a bundle with 2 differents "Advanced" products , i hope is not the case and Ozone and Neutron will be a unique product.

Music Store O8N2

Oh good spot, thanks.

Yes, this was another concern for me. Kind of glad I've stuck with Ozone 5 and RX4, don't really see the need for any of the newer features and had no idea about keeping older versions- suuuuuuuuucks. ;)

After 30 years of mixing all I can say is Fabfilter Q2 EQ (and comp, gate, limiter, multiband comp) is what I had hoped for throughout the 90's, when I was regularly using higher end gear- ssl, neve, etc. Yes, they sound good and warm, but don't work well for real surgury. With Q2 I can actually scupt the sound, making what want rather than what the eq is capable of (actually had a mix way back then where I had to send a signal through 3 input channels to get the amount of eq control I needed on one track). Yet I've rarely ever used more than one instance of Q2 on a track. And it always sounds great and can do just about any kind of eq you want, try that on a pultec.

I guess I would relay it like this: Having a string library with one close mic position can work for most composers (you can always add room or hall reverb, right?) but when you start using multiple mikes it's had to explain how much better it is. Especially of drums or brass, but even on strings and woodwinds, we know it makes a differece. And in most cases 3 or 4 mike positions give us great options without being overwhelming.

For me a 3 or 4 band eq is like that one mic position, it can work, but there will always be times when I need more- more bands, more slopes (bell, cut off, tilt, bandpass, etc), more range (+/- 36dB?, yes please!). Combined with a visual specragrah in the background showing me the frequency curve before and after the eq, and a gui that changes sizes (even full screen) and you have plugins that go far beyond what others are doing.

Every vi emulation of old outboard gear is like a 1 mic position string library, but the mic isn't that great. Driving a donkey and communicating by morse code are possibilities as well. ;)

Return to “The Front Page”