There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Waves 25th Anniversay sale and updated plugins

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Waves 25th Anniversay sale and updated plugins

Post by Guy Rowland »

Another day another Waves sale, but this does look an especially big one, with up to 80% off everything. There's a lot of $29 stuff there on some pretty hefty names, such as the (vastly superior) L2.

Also updates to the L1 (always sounded terrible to me but there you go), the workhorse that is the Q10 and Audio Track. I understand these plugins are free updates to anyone with the Waves v9 versions, no need to have the WUP (and, once again, I wonder what on earth the WUP is actually for).

kpc

Re: Waves 25th Anniversay sale and updated plugins

Post by kpc »

I appreciate a sale as much as the next guy. But really, when you can put a $299 plug in on sale for $29 - it seems to me something is wrong with your pricing structure, no? In my mind, it really devalues your products and name - and it would be (maybe) a bit different if Waves didn't run so many of these sales - but still.

As I have never found myself needing or liking the Waves products - this is an easy pass for me. I'm not saying they are not great plugins and are very useful, but I just don't see spending my money with them - especially when there are great devs like GoodHertz, Valhalla, FabFilter, and so many more options.
- kayle

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I agree there's a) plenty of other good options and b) Waves' pricing structure now looks insane. But many - not all - routinely deliver the goods for me, and I still swear by the L3-16. Lo Air is great too. In general it is what it is - a decent option.

On the pricing, they're the East West of the FX world. Everyone knows you never pay full price, people have the vague sense of a bargain which may or may not be accurate. I'm guessing the model works for them, even though the days of them being presented as expensive top tier are long gone.

kpc

Post by kpc »

I understand you Guy - and I know a lot of people love them. I did have a demo of the Abby Road Redd that I thought was petty nice and sounded great - And I thought I might buy it. But when I downloaded their installer, I couldn't get it to work quite right. The free plugins (from various promos) didn't authorize properly, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't considered them again since.

But hey - to each his/her own, and I don't discourage anyone using them if they work for them. Just not my cup of tea as it were.
- kayle

Markus K

Post by Markus K »

It seems to me that they really improved the installing/authorization process which could be a pain in the past. When I started they caught me with an insane cheap silver bundle and now I ended up having a lot of waves plugs. Especially the ssl channel for me is great and on most of my tracks and yes I have to admit the L3-16 does a great job. Got the new Torque and adt together for 50$ during the current sale.
The only thing that is strange and is almost frightening: when I read the news on "spiegel online" I almost feel like beeing in a waves store. There are ads in every corner and beneath almost every article. Nothing else for month. So It kind of feels like beeing caught in a waves universe. I'm not against ads on a free website but I want to see something else than all the plug ins I already have anyway.