There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

RIP Tom Petty

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
catsass

RIP Tom Petty

Post by catsass »

Way too f**king young. ;(
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty- ... ead-at-66/

EDIT:
The above link is now stating the LAPD cannot confirm his death at this time, and Tom is reportedly clinging to life in a Los Angeles hospital.

Lawrence

Re: RIP Tom Petty

Post by Lawrence »

I just saw it on the news. This shit is getting frickin' ridiculous.

Hey, if I don't post for a few days, check the obits.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Well you say he's way too young and I can sort if understand what you mean and the spirit etc. But the fact of the matter is, guys like Tom and the rest of us the same age understand that one day sooner rather than later, we will be backing down. It's just a fact of life and you can't live forever.

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

I was fortunate not to be on my own when I had my heart attack. That can be the difference in being here or not to tell the tale.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

According to other news sources, CBS news got it wrong. When they said he had died, apparently he was still alive, and LAPD still can't confirm his passing. This may change as the evening progresses. Currently "CBS News, citing Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD), had earlier reported Petty, 66, had died. The LAPD later said on Twitter it had, "no information about the passing of singer Tom Petty. Initial information was inadvertently provided to some media sources". Celebrity website TMZ.com, citing unidentified sources, later reported Petty was not expected to live much longer but was "still clinging to life".
Frank E. Lancaster

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Holy fake news, Batman.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
catsass

Post by catsass »

"On behalf of the Tom Petty family we are devastated to announce the untimely death of of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty. He suffered a cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40 p.m. PT surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends,"
- Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, on behalf of the family.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 66-w506651

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Yes, now official. He died about a half an hour after I posted above. Very sad news.
Frank E. Lancaster

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

My daughter went to school with his daughter and I met him a couple of times and he seemed nice. She went to his house and said he was sweet to her.

And obviously, a great, great rock musician.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com