Become a member to see more. To view and access the entire forum, register today. It's totally free.

Brusfri - Noice Reducer plug-in

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Brusfri - Noice Reducer plug-in

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 13, 2017 11:25 am

Brusfri* is a highly advanced audio noise reducer, packed into a simple and straight-forward interface. It is very well suited for cleaning up noisy audio recordings, while retaining sound quality. Unlike many other noise reducers on the market, Brusfri doesn’t mess with audio phasing to suppress noise (a technique that often comes with audible side effects). Instead, multiple fine-tuned gates are used to silence unwanted noise.

*Brusfri means ”Noise free” in Swedish.

Usage: Select and hold LEARN for a second, during input of the unwanted noise, to create a noise profile. Make sure to only feed the reducer with isolated noise when it’s learning what is noise, since it will use it to suppress the noise. Most of the time, using LEARN is all that is needed, but there is also a handful of parameters to fine-tune the reduction.

https://klevgrand.se/products/brusfri/

AU/VST/AAX version --> $29.99
There is a Trial version.

Features:
Several frequency-trimmed expanders build an intelligent noise suppressor
No phase-altering, which leaves the desired sound untouched (no squishy artifacts as in many other noise reducers)
Intuitive and unique user interface

Desktop version:
Audio Units version, compatible with most Mac OS X DAW’s
VST & VST3 version, compatible with most Mac & Windows DAW’s
AAX version, compatible with Pro Tools on Mac & Windows
System requirements: Mac OS X 10.7+ / Windows 7+ with SP1 or higher

Best,
Anders

wst3
The Western Philly 'burbs

Re: Brusfri - Noice Reducer plug-in

Postby wst3 » Oct 13, 2017 3:07 pm

A pretty impressive demo - especially since they don't pretend to make the noise disappear. I think I need to give this a try.

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 13, 2017 3:52 pm

wst3 wrote:A pretty impressive demo - especially since they don't pretend to make the noise disappear. I think I need to give this a try.

I will demo this too.
One observation is that they never let the noise reduced material ring. The always cut to the noisy part at the end of each example.
It’s in the tails you spot the artifacts.

Best,
/Anders

Guy Rowland
UK

Postby Guy Rowland » Oct 13, 2017 4:04 pm

Yes, I noticed that too Anders, except those claps at the end, and you can hear a bit of work going on. But it's pretty damn good, and I'd take those artefacts over the noise. What might be more of an issue is a lack of sensitivity control, it varies wildly for me how aggressive you need to be with it / how much you can get away with.

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 13, 2017 9:02 pm

Guy Rowland wrote:Yes, I noticed that too Anders, except those claps at the end, and you can hear a bit of work going on. But it's pretty damn good, and I'd take those artefacts over the noise. What might be more of an issue is a lack of sensitivity control, it varies wildly for me how aggressive you need to be with it / how much you can get away with.

Yes and those claps where on the ios version of the plug-in.
From the manual.
3. Tonality
Brusfri, in most cases, does a good job in creating a noise profile that works as expected, but in some cases (especially when there's heavy noise involved) one needs to tweak the following a bit.
Select and slide up or down.
EDGE
Controls the degree of noise reduction (expander ratios). A low value gives smoother reduction.

Just received my TC System 6000 and will be busy installing it for a couple of hours.
When that's done, I'll download a copy and try it myself.

Best,

Anders

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Initial impressions.

It doesn't claim to be a "high end" noise reduction plugin for dialogue.
And it sure doesn't deliver using spoken material.

On instruments and in a mix where some often are muted when not played on it does work pretty good.

Will try and post clips during the weekend.

Best,
Anders

wst3
The Western Philly 'burbs

Postby wst3 » Oct 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Perhaps my expectations were on the high side, but I will be sticking with my current tools for the time being.

If one is just starting out with noise reduction tools this might be a good starting point - if the demands on the tool are modest.

ComposerGuy
Hollywood

Postby ComposerGuy » Oct 15, 2017 6:15 am

Has anyone tried this on Dialogue?

-Disclaimer: I have received free libraries from East West and several others. Don’t shoot me.

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 16, 2017 3:46 am

ComposerGuy wrote:Has anyone tried this on Dialogue?

Yes it sucks.
Thought I’d find time to post clips this weekend.
But no.
Traveling today, will try to post clip tomorrow.

For dialogue de-noise on a tight budget I would recommend iZotope ”RX elements”.

Best,
/Anders

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 17, 2017 8:45 am

Here's some quick examples using dialogue.

The unfiltered microphone

A stock EQ-setting to fix the lows, the normal 1k dip and to tame the highs

This EQ is applied before the de-noise plug-in in all the examples below.

Stock settings of Brusfri, tried a couple of grabs to get the best result

This IS the greatest weakness of Brusfri. In this example, in real life, we don't always get "silence" or a section with only the noise that needs to be removed.

iZotope RX6 Voicel De-noise

Accusonus ERA-D

Waves W43

Waves WNS

I'm completely sure that I can get better results spending more time with the settings, but I tried to emulate a real life situation.
So, I listened to the first part roughly 3 times before finalizing the parameters on the different plug-ins.

Best,
Anders

Guy Rowland
UK

Postby Guy Rowland » Oct 17, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Anders. Have to say that's an extremely challenging example - I actually wouldn't use any broad NR tool on that, since the problem areas aren't constant. I'd load it into RX Spectral Repair, find the HF I needed in the speech and then attenuate the area around it, which is the mic / clothing rustle. Oh, plus some basic EQ, HPF etc.

ComposerGuy
Hollywood

Postby ComposerGuy » Oct 17, 2017 9:11 am

Very kind of you Anders to do these experiments. Very telling indeed. Very helpful.

-Disclaimer: I have received free libraries from East West and several others. Don’t shoot me.

Guy Rowland
UK

Postby Guy Rowland » Oct 17, 2017 9:17 am

...and I'm still in my procrastination phase of the morning, so for "fun" I spend 10 minutes on it in RX6 Spectral Repair - https://app.box.com/s/x7daow058rv57y9ygy4eota4jc01gli7 . It's not perfect - more time spent = better result, but still it's clearly the best of any of them imo. But you see the problem. It's a painstaking, miserable task and there's still no real autofix for this kind of thing, broadband clothing rustle is still a big problem. De-rustle in RX6 Advanced is close - it's miraculous on more scratchy sounds, but less good on this irregular more white-noisy type problem, the worst case scenario. I just did a very simple pass with de-rustle here - https://app.box.com/s/4iuhkp780eyxciz8i6r4g70sfhjml4ln - just for demonstration of the issues for using it in this way, and half way through (once the clothing noise has gone) I take it out - you can hear it clearly. Most alarmingly, some of the S or F sounds have gone completely using this. So at the moment for this specific problem, slow and manual is the only fix that really works that I know of.

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Guy Rowland wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do that, Anders. Have to say that's an extremely challenging example - I actually wouldn't use any broad NR tool on that, since the problem areas aren't constant. I'd load it into RX Spectral Repair, find the HF I needed in the speech and then attenuate the area around it, which is the mic / clothing rustle. Oh, plus some basic EQ, HPF etc.

Yes, and that combined with a automated EQ is what I did for that clip.
Remember this is 20sec in a 30min show that I have one day to dialogue fix, put on ambiences and FX...
You kind of listen to that shake your head and go, no no no... I will just leave that.
But then you find yourself going back to fix it :)

I will see if I can find the final result and post it.
Best,
Anders

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Guy Rowland wrote:...and I'm still in my procrastination phase of the morning, so for "fun" I spend 10 minutes on it in RX6 Spectral Repair ...

We do share the same idea of fun :-)
Thank you for posting, I believe a automated "normal" EQ is the only way to fix it.
Now I really have to find that final mix...
/Anders

Guy Rowland
UK

Postby Guy Rowland » Oct 17, 2017 1:13 pm

I know I know! I feel your pain. When it's something out of the ordinary I ask for extra time (I had to take out a screaming (literally screaming) disabled person present in an audience recorded show. A one hour show.... sigh. That was sooo tedious, I charged an extra day and they gratefully paid. But in the normal run of things you have to let a lot of stuff like this example go, there just isn't time to fix it all. iZotope has really done wonders there though - clicks, pops and rustles are so much quicker and better fixes than even a couple of years ago, it's why I say that audio-wise RX is the one tool I'd have if I was only allowed one.

Hopefully RX7 will tackle these swishes with de-swish...

I've not tried automating the EQ, will give that some thought but I can imagine it's at least as fiddly and time-consuming as using spectral repair to get into the forensic detail you'd need.

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 17, 2017 1:53 pm

@Guy
I've too removed strange stuff from recorded audio.
When I feel down I always think of my friend Peter.
He had to remove snow flakes from the video of a Russian vodka commercial.
It took him a week for 20 sec of video...
Always puts a smile on my face when I think of that :-)

I know I should ask for more time.
I'm usually packed with work and unless I hire someone to do the work on, say the, dialogue I can't fit a extra day into my schedule.
Not bragging here, have been lucky with work... and seldom turn down work.... I do say no for about 9 weeks every year, need to be with family.

Anyway here's the final result.

I guess I took the easy way out, added a sh*t load of birds and people...
Strange I really thought I went back for that scene, well there you go :-O

And it is kind of noisy in hifi or computer speaker, but listen in TV speakers, they cover up a lot :-)
Not my greatest work. Sorry about that. :-O

Best,
Anders

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Next up is electric guitar.
First part is recorded with a tape echo inserted before the amp, second part is guitar straight into amp.

The recorded guitar no additional FX

This is were Brusfri shines, sorry about the dropouts still in demo mode...
It removes just about the right amount of noise, this is the default setting with me only pressing the "listen" button.

Brusfri

ERA-D

Waves X-HUM and Z-NOISE

iZotope RX6 Spectral De-Noise

I included the "old" waves plug-ins just for fun. Don't ever use them anymore but this is what I used to do.
iZotope has a de-hum plugin but in all fairness to the others, excluding the waves, I did not use it.

Again I'm totally sure that better results can be obtained fiddling with the controls.
I know I "overdid" the effect, I wanted to show the weaknesses in the different plug-ins.
Listen for "birds" ie artefacts in all but the Brusfri.
This is of course because Brusfri uses a different method in reducing noise.

Best,
Anders

Topic author
Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Postby Anders Wall » Oct 19, 2017 8:31 am

Ok sorry for spamming.

This is what I did in post for that initial clip:
-->The unfiltered microphone

I guess I removed the top with that EQ and then let the W43 work it's way back to more "normal" use.

For those who's not in the post business, what you hear in that initial clip is due to limitations in the wireless system.
Something else in the air is stronger or as strong as the transmitter and causes interference with the signal.
OR the signal itself is causing interference with itself!?!
It's like when you tune a analog radio... or kind of... see this as an easy explanation and the reason to why serious sound engineers rely on shotgun-microphones.

OT.
I have other tools than Brusfri.
Had I not and knew that most of my work would be recording in studios I would grab that Brusfri asap.

Best,

Anders

Guy Rowland
UK

Postby Guy Rowland » Oct 19, 2017 9:10 am

Ah yes, I was thinking clothing but you're quite right, that's RF noise - an absolute bugger to get rid of. And just as you say, in the mix passed over at speed, you get away with it, as is so often the case. Nicely done!

Tangent - a colleague of mine takes on a trainee every year from a prestigious music college. He says that without fail, no matter how good they are - and they are really good - the thing everyone struggles with is working at speed, and knowing when to let stuff go. You have to go from a purist academic environment to the brutal reality of the real world pretty fast...

Return to “The Front Page”