There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

iLok Cloud

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Killiard

iLok Cloud

Post by Killiard »

Just seen this...

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... ware-iloks

PACE Anti-Piracy, Inc. introduces an entirely new approach to software license protection—iLok Cloud. With iLok Cloud, software publishers can offer their users quick and easy access to their licenses from any computer with an Internet connection. iLok Cloud has the same level of robust security as the current iLok USB smart key, which will remain as an option along with machine-based licenses.

Today, PACE Anti-Piracy announces the imminent launch of iLok Cloud. With iLok Cloud, software publishers that use PACE’s licensing system will have a third option to offer their users, in addition to the previously available iLok USB smart key and machine-based licenses.

Using iLok Cloud
Upon launching iLok Cloud protected software, the users will be prompted to provide their username and password. That’s it—the iLok protected software is now ready for use, without any dongles or having to use a specific authorized computer. It’s easy, iLok Cloud protected software can be used anywhere, and iLok Cloud takes the risk of lost or damaged iLok USB smart keys and computers out of the equation.

Availability
iLok Cloud will be available to software publishers as an option when updating their products in early November. Software protected with iLok Cloud should be available to end users in early 2018.

Guy Rowland

Re: iLok Cloud

Post by Guy Rowland »

At the risk of (yet again) being a damp squib, I'm not too excited about this, for the following reasons:

1. You need to be online, or - seemingly - it won't let you in. Nope.

2. It's up to developers as to whether or not they support the feature - it's not an automatic thing. Which is significant because...

3. The vast majority of developers don't support machine licenses, which would be a really great option (hats off to VIR Harmonic, who do).

So sadly... whatevs.

Mikeybabes

Post by Mikeybabes »

I'm not quite sure how this really differs from dongle-free authorisation that is currently available on ilok. You can currently activate a licence on a computer and then deactivate it - all over the internet. In a practical sense it doesn't seem to be that different. OK you need to download the licence manager - but that's nothing compared to installing ilok products.

However another option is never a bad idea.....

givemenoughrope

Post by givemenoughrope »

damp squid! HA!

Yea, no internet. If my wifi gets wonky then what do I do? no thanks.

Mikeybabes

Post by Mikeybabes »

I had to read your post three times - I scanned it as 'If my wife gets then wonky what do I do.....'

Must get some glasses....

heisenberg

Post by heisenberg »

Mikeybabes wrote:I'm not quite sure how this really differs from dongle-free authorisation that is currently available on ilok. You can currently activate a licence on a computer and then deactivate it - all over the internet.
The cloud thing may be more of a marketing thing than anything else. Cloud computing, cloud this & that is/has become part of the vernacular possibly making it an easier sell to users. In other words, a marketing distinction without really that much changing under the hood with what they already have in place.
Andrew Stone