There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cubase 9.5 - [9.5.10 update is out]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Jaap

Cubase 9.5 - [9.5.10 update is out]

Post by Jaap »

The smooth curve drawing looks (finally!) great, offline processing as well and finally new click sounds for the metronome (gosh, how hard was that?) and multiple tempo clicks (nice!).
Just watched it in between some stuff so havent given it deep thoughts, but looks ok, not groundbreaking, but I came to terms with Cubase and got it nicely running (though tempted to give Reaper a try as I saw the other post, but that will wait a bit)

Also the site is saying they are preparing the launch, bit sooner then normal (always around 6 december I thought): https://www.steinberg.net/maintenance/?id=9073&L=1

Topic author
Jaap

Re: Cubase 9.5 promo

Post by Jaap »

And its live already: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/c ... se_95.html (and changed the title now also)

gtrwll

Re: Cubase 9.5

Post by gtrwll »

Time to activate my Cubase 9 ;)

PhJ

Post by PhJ »

The 'drag midi parts to sampler after auto-rendering' and 'direct offline processing' are nice.
(contrary to what I thought when C9 came out, I end up using the sampler track once in a while)

Doubling the insert slots should make many people on Steinberg's forum happy :D

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Haven't updated yet, but reading that you have to manually copy your profile settings again since they are all gone and also that the new drawing for cc's is only for the automation and unfortunately not for the midi cc editor, which I find a big bummer to read.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Well it sure looks better than the complete wash out I miserably feared, but I haven't seen anything that addresses my own concerns regarding buggy track archives, multichannel disabled tracks or general CPU efficiency, so I'm still hurrumphing. Direct Offline Processing looks kinda interesting - similar to the current plugin and process options, only you can stack effects and undo them. The automation tweaks here though:

...look very Pro Tools (and in this case, that's a good thing), so that's nice to see. The bezier curves are welcome, but yeah disappointing it only applies to automation.

Overall... mixed. There are tweaks that look like they're worth having. But my big headaches will remain. The lack of a really plausible alternative for me will probably mean I'll suck it up once more, and at least the upgrade price is low.

EDIT - I see on the Steinberg forum that the whole graphics engine has been re-coded, hopefully it will stop the irritating windows glitches on windows.

Guy Rowland

Re: Cubase 9.5 - Trial versions now available to download

Post by Guy Rowland »

30 day trials are now up for Cubase 9.5 and Cubase Elements 9.5 - https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... ubase.html

(I still haven't tried it myself due to a distinct lack of enthusiasm on my part, but might give it a go at some stage. I also hear on the grapevine that 9.5.10 is imminent with the first bug fixes, though to be fair there seem to be more happy campers than usual for a .0 release).

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Well I love/hate it to be honest. I really like some of the new features like the bezier curves on automation, the new metronome options and heck I love the new file browser!
But I also encounter some oddness here and there. Big cpu spikes and sluggish behaviour on heavy synth oriented projects which don't occur in 9.0.30, specially Serum and libraries like Novo and Dark Matter 2 giving me problems, while again on the other hand a few very big projects with lots of effects, instruments which normally really maxed my cpu, suddenly run smoother.

PhJ

Post by PhJ »

I'm waiting 9.5.10 before upgrading, but it seems like a nice .5 upgrade.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

PhJ wrote:I'm waiting 9.5.10 before upgrading, but it seems like a nice .5 upgrade.
...and its there. Version history here:

http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... istory.pdf

Arcana

Re: Cubase 9.5 - [9.5.10 update is out]

Post by Arcana »

I'm not usually the guinea pig type, but for some reason felt like giving it a go anyway and updated to 9.5.10.

I haven't really had time to dive in deeply but I opened 2 projects and nothing seems to be missing or completely wrecked, so it appears to be safe to update in case anyone was wondering.

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Thanks for the update, installed it, relaunched Cubase with one of my problematic projects with high cpu spikes and it seems much better now! Couldn't find anything in the release notes that explains it and will test it tomorrow more extensively, but at least I go to bed happy for now haha

J Rod

Post by J Rod »

i updated to 9.5 and everything works fine, only problem i noticed is a very annoying sluggish gui refresh (1 sec) from time to time and not related to a big template.

PhJ

Post by PhJ »

Guy Rowland wrote: ...and its there. Version history here:

http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... istory.pdf
Thanks for the heads up, I'll move to 9.5 Today then !

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

After a morning of work extensively with the new update I find it very refreshing and working smooth. The whole issue with peaking cpu etc seems to be gone thankfully!
Also saw the same report from Rob Elliot on the Advanced Cubase Users group on FB that he experienced the same.

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Guy Rowland wrote:30 day trials are now up for Cubase 9.5 and Cubase Elements 9.5 - https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... ubase.html

(I still haven't tried it myself due to a distinct lack of enthusiasm on my part, but might give it a go at some stage. I also hear on the grapevine that 9.5.10 is imminent with the first bug fixes, though to be fair there seem to be more happy campers than usual for a .0 release).
Thanks for posting this Guy. Downloaded the trial and gave Cubase a rundown the past few weeks. Some things I really like, yet some common keyboard shortcuts and other funtions seem missing, but perhaps I've just been on PT too long. ;). Video, audio, midi all seem to work great, but I didn't get to build a deep session.

One question I had from your comments is how often do they update and when is it paid vs free? Kontakt and Pro Tools (of the past) were free updates until a major release (4 to 5 or 9 to 10) not on .5 releases. I should factor in updates if it's going to be another $99 every year or two. And yes, the irony that PT has basically gone to $99 a year is not lost on me. That's why I stick with 11.3.1 until they have track folders. ;)

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

X - the Cubase cycle is 1 paid update per year (historically it's been the first week of December, but this last time it was in November, I guess to get ahead of Black Friday). Alternate years are .0 and .5 updates, but the distinction between the two isn't perhaps as marked as it once was. .0 updates are (I think) 99 bucks, .5 more like 59 bucks. If you skip an update, your next update price will likely be a little higher, unlike (say) NI where there is one update price for all, but obviously nothing like Avid's punishing rejoining fees.

During the year there are usually 3 or 4 maintenance fix updates which are free for up-to-date users.

PhJ

Post by PhJ »

So this is not a new feature of 9.5, but it never dawned ( :P ) on me you could do that…
Just in case I' m not the only one:

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

You're not the only one - I had no idea, and will be very useful. Cheers!

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

PhJ wrote: Jun 01, 2018 6:12 am So this is not a new feature of 9.5, but it never dawned ( :P ) on me you could do that…
Just in case I' m not the only one:
Yes! I only found out two weeks ago!

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Didnt know either. Awesome!

kony

Post by kony »

This is very helpful - muchos grazias!

Carles

Post by Carles »

I had no idea about. Using it now :)
kony wrote: Jun 01, 2018 11:03 pm This is very helpful - muchos grazias!
Kony, I owe you some grammar from another forum (really thanks for that, seriously, no sarcasm. Despite your wish to not to cross roads each other, that's unavoidable and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not a bad guy, just a bit peculiar, you just need to know me better ;), so this is my turn to return back the grammar favor to you so you will gain a more educated appearance at the eyes of Spanish speakers ;) (same way I always appreciate corrections on my poor English to avoid misunderstandings like it happened to me with yourself in that post).
(BTW, not that I'm proud of being Spanish myself, rather ashamed, but Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the World: https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/the- ... the-world/)

"muchos grazias" (assuming as intended to sound-like Spanish) is double incorrect.
1. In Spanish (as well as other languages), gender not only refers to people but it's also used on things. For instance table ("mesa") is feminine and dish ("plato") is masculine, so you can say "muchas mesas" (many tables) but not "muchos mesas" as "muchos" is used on masculine subjects only. Otherwise, for instance "muchos platos" is right (to say "many dishes") while "muchas platos" would be incorrect as "muchas" applies to feminine nouns only (yeah, I'm aware that's complicated to non Spanish speakers as you need to get familiar with all nouns in order to know which is which).
Not exactly a rule, but as a hint, quite often words finishing in "a" are feminine and words finishing in "o" are masculine.

So, the right expression in Spanish should be "muchas gracias" as "gracia" is feminine.

2. The word "grazia" doesn't exist in Spanish but "gracia" (grace) hence its plural is "gracias".

"Grazia" is an Italian term (same meaning than the Spanish word "gracia") but in Italian you cannot add an "s" to the end of a singular word to make it plural as Italian works differently so if Italian was intended instead of Spanish then you should use "molte grazie" (notice that in both words, "molta" and "grazia", the "a" at the end turned into "e" to make them plural).
However, despite that "molte grazie" sounds more similar to Spanish than other similar expressions (being Spanish myself), during my time at Italy I've heard (and used myself) much more often "grazie tante" (many thanks) or "grazie mille" ("thousands of thanks") than "molte grazie". (not sure if it applies to the whole country or just Milan or just the people around me at that time but I rarely have heard "molte grazie" so I gravitate to not to use it when speaking Italian).

Hope it helps.
"¡Hasta la vista!" (See you later!) ;)

kony

Post by kony »

Carles wrote: Jun 02, 2018 12:14 pm I had no idea about. Using it now :)
kony wrote: Jun 01, 2018 11:03 pm This is very helpful - muchos grazias!
Kony, I owe you some grammar from another forum (really thanks for that, seriously, no sarcasm. Despite your wish to not to cross roads each other, that's unavoidable and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not a bad guy, just a bit peculiar, you just need to know me better ;), so this is my turn to return back the grammar favor to you so you will gain a more educated appearance at the eyes of Spanish speakers ;) (same way I always appreciate corrections on my poor English to avoid misunderstandings like it happened to me with yourself in that post).
(BTW, not that I'm proud of being Spanish myself, rather ashamed, but Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the World: https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/the- ... the-world/)

"muchos grazias" (assuming as intended to sound-like Spanish) is double incorrect.
1. In Spanish (as well as other languages), gender not only refers to people but it's also used on things. For instance table ("mesa") is feminine and dish ("plato") is masculine, so you can say "muchas mesas" (many tables) but not "muchos mesas" as "muchos" is used on masculine subjects only. Otherwise, for instance "muchos platos" is right (to say "many dishes") while "muchas platos" would be incorrect as "muchas" applies to feminine nouns only (yeah, I'm aware that's complicated to non Spanish speakers as you need to get familiar with all nouns in order to know which is which).
Not exactly a rule, but as a hint, quite often words finishing in "a" are feminine and words finishing in "o" are masculine.

So, the right expression in Spanish should be "muchas gracias" as "gracia" is feminine.

2. The word "grazia" doesn't exist in Spanish but "gracia" (grace) hence its plural is "gracias".

"Grazia" is an Italian term (same meaning than the Spanish word "gracia") but in Italian you cannot add an "s" to the end of a singular word to make it plural as Italian works differently so if Italian was intended instead of Spanish then you should use "molte grazie" (notice that in both words, "molta" and "grazia", the "a" at the end turned into "e" to make them plural).
However, despite that "molte grazie" sounds more similar to Spanish than other similar expressions (being Spanish myself), during my time at Italy I've heard (and used myself) much more often "grazie tante" (many thanks) or "grazie mille" ("thousands of thanks") than "molte grazie". (not sure if it applies to the whole country or just Milan or just the people around me at that time but I rarely have heard "molte grazie" so I gravitate to not to use it when speaking Italian).

Hope it helps.
"¡Hasta la vista!" (See you later!) ;)
Haha thank you, Carles! I am honestly grateful for the correction and for having learned something here. Years ago, when studying German at university, our German professor told us that Spanish is the hardest European language to learn (after the students were complaining about how hard learning German grammar was). After having only limited exposure to the Spanish language, I have to agree with his statement.

By the way, I think you should be proud of your Spanish heritage (although I was very unhappy that Real Madrid beat Liverpool recently in the Champions League final :(

Thanks again for the correction, Carles - appreciate it :)