There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Looking for a formant plugin

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
X-bassist

Looking for a formant plugin

Post by X-bassist »

I'm trying to remember what plugin I used to change my male voice to a female voice and it worked really well. I've looked through all my plugins and I can't find it, But perhaps it was just on trial.

One I know I tried and liked was Ircam Trax v3, - great controls. But I was almost sure I had found another one (cheaper) that could do just as good a job. Ircam Trax is $399, and I can find it for around $300, but that's still a bit expensive for me since I will probably not get a ton of use out of it. I may wait it out for a sale on that one.

I've been testing Melodyn Editor (which I own) for this and the pitching works great, just the formant control doesn't seem to be able to go as extreme without the sound breaking up or just sounding smeared, or wacky, or both.

Surprisingly Waves Soundshifter does a good job of live pitching as well, just no formant or other controls. Also only does +/- 1 octave, but for $29 on sale it's a very cool tool.

Also have Soundtoys Little Alterboy. Good live pitching but sounds best when formant is locked to pitch (clearest sound) but adjusting just goves subtle variation.

I also have X-Form for protools (elastic v2) which comes with formant control. Works very well for procesing files (not live) but again the formant control doesn't seem to do the job Ircam Trax v3 does.

I also tested out Digital Brain products for vocoding, which it does great, but they are standalone apps, and the one that does pitching does not do a great job. That and having to import/export files become a pain.

Perhaps I just need to cough up the money, but I swear I used something that worked great yet wasn't expensive, and had the "old man" "young woman" "androginous" sounds. Maybe it was just a delierious dream when I was test all this 6 months ago. I just have a project now that could use a great heavy designed voice.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Perhaps you'll jog my memory. :).

Topic author
X-bassist

Re: Looking for a formant plugin

Post by X-bassist »

Actually this video is a big help, I'll give melodyne another wack :)

And I have Melodyne assistant, which does pitch and formant, just not polyphonic material.