There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Reverb Foundry / HD-Cart

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Reverb Foundry / HD-Cart

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Reverb Foundry's HD-Cart has been out for several weeks and has been very well received ("This thing is a beast!!!" - Dave Pensado). Haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm definitely planning to.

"HD Cart is a high-density reverb plugin modelled after a legendary expansion for one of the most sought after and expensive reverb units of all time. It was next to impossible to walk into almost any professional recording studio in the mid to late 1980s – and for many years after – and not have one be in the room somewhere. So many of the most cherished and well-known recordings of all time owe a large part of their ambience and overall sound to this iconic state of the art (at the time) processor.

The HD and surround expansion cartridge for this unit contained the only algorithm to ever fully take advantage of its considerable dual-board processing capabilities. This amazing program was capable of being used in quadraphonic, 5.0 surround or high-density stereo reverb modes resulting in dense, riche audio unlike any other reverb processor."

Audio examples page

Authentic Controls
The full compliment of controls available on the original unit have been recreated in HD Cart including:
▪ Spread: for powerful room re-dimensioning
▪ Diffusion: control room reflectivity for convincing small rooms to lush cathedrals and chambers
▪ Size and time: with pin-point accuracy model the size and character of a room
▪ Modulation: control the classic spin and wander of this heritage algorithm
▪ Frequency dependent decay: from sizzling highs to tight lows, the tone of the room can be controlled with ease
▪ Early reflections: control the tone and timing of a series of modulated early reflections

Modern Enhancements:
▪ Not present in the original device, enhancements to the core algorithm have been included for a much wider, more spacious reverb than was ever possible with the original hardware.
▪ Additional filtering has been implemented in the early reflections module for much greater control over the spectral balance of this crucial reverb component within the mix.

Advanced Stereo and Surround Modes
▪ One of the first ever surround algorithms ever to consider the effect of early and late reflections in a quadraphonic field, this pushed the dual-board design of the original hardware to the limit. Included in this recreation is its high density stereo mode, quadraphonic and special 5.0 routing configurations.
▪ In stereo modes the reverb can be pushed towards the front, left in the centre for highest reflection density, or moved towards the rear of the simulated space.

_

byzantium

Re: Reverb Foundry / HD-Cart

Post by byzantium »

Looks interesting. So many reverbs. So little time, so little money.

Was being very proud of myself, having managed to get past Black Friday/Cyber Monday without buying anything, but did succumb yesterday to Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven at €38 (even though of course I don't NEED it).

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

Nice sounding 'verb. I'm really considering this one. Yes, I do currently have a hardware 480L that this was basically modeled on (for sale, BTW) but this has a little different, more au current rounder high end. I like it. The depth seems OK.

I've had the demo in my Downloads inbox for a couple weeks waiting for the right time to try it. I'm glad their website has these examples now. They weren't there when I downloaded the demo.

I put off buying anything at all during everyone's weekend sales push - until yesterday however, when I popped for 4 UAD goodies - the AMS RMX 16/expanded (yup, I was feeling short on reverbs), Ocean Way room simulator thingee, Distressor and their new Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus (it looked like great fun). $399 seemed like a deal I shouldn't pass on.

I actually did not buy any virtual instrument or sample library. Didn't that show virtue on my part! Don't y'all feel so guilty!

(I put the y'all part in there practicing for if I move to Nashville or Austin next year.)

JBacal

Post by JBacal »

Only spent a short time with it but I like the sound. Quite sweet.