There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Steinberg Festive Countdown

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Jaap

Steinberg Festive Countdown

Post by Jaap »

https://www.steinberg.net/en/promotion/ ... _2017.html
Prizes and savings every day at Steinberg's Festive Countdown 2017

We’re proud to announce a very special daily Festive Countdown — win great music gear and grab some whopping savings on a range of Steinberg products between December 1 and December 24!

Every single day gives you a chance to win a great prize or save loads of cash on Steinberg products. But you’ll have to hurry —each offer or prize is valid only on that day!

Head over to Steinberg.net to take part —from December 1, 2017!
Today Halion 6 is discount with 30%

alanb

Re: Steinberg Festive Countdown

Post by alanb »

"This special offer is unavailable for US customers."

:-/

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

alanb wrote:"This special offer is unavailable for US customers."

:-/
Oh that is a bummer :(

Well for our non-US folks, today you can win Wavelab Elements 9.5

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

I noticed the crossgrade from other DAW's was lowered to $255 a couple weeks ago at sweetwater. Does anyone expect that the price might get lower still with this event?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseP95CG

Also does anyone know if sessions can be transferred from Pro Tools to Cubase (via AAF export or some other means). Guy? I'd like to make the jump but it would be helpful to know if I can get my Pro Tools templetes into Cubase- many day of work to replicate otherwise.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I'd be surprised if any deal on the advent calendar improves on the crossgrade deal, which is a very good one. The likes of 30% off Halion, which we had a couple of days ago, is the kind of relatively minor deal I'd expect.

Cubase only has OMF in / out, not AAF, but even if it did I don't think I'd trust it one jot to migrate a template. Fundamentally, the architecture of the two products is too different - with PT you route everything via internal busses, with Cubase it's just routing direct to groups (and multiple groups). Never mind how it would handle VSTs vs AAXs, aux sends etc. Finally, I think both DAWs share a dislike of migrated templates even within their own ecosystem - last year I had to totally redo my PT post template as it was behaving oddly in several ways, and I just had to bite the bullet and start from scratch.

You're right, it's many days work to do a full orchestral template - post is a piece of cake by comparison.

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Thanks Guy, this is what I expected. Unfortuately, from what I remember, omf doesn't even keep the track names (much less as you said, plugins), so that's out. I'll give cubase a trial on my newer slave and see how it goes first, but I may get the crossgrade just to have it, kind of disappointed I missed it last time (I think it was $199).

And yes, redoing my templetes is a huge pain, so I'll have to see if the midi editng/composing features are worth it. Luckily with my huge switch to VE Pro (and then Komplete Kontrol) I can save having to redo that part. Copying and pasting track names and assigning midi channels to VE Pro will be most of the work (got any midi assign shortcuts?) Since I keep my mixing and post templetes seperate, it should only be about 1500 midi tracks to set-up (yes, I recently added them all up. It would be 2500 if I included all my alts!). Which is one reason I have been think of switching (Pro Tools has a 512 midi track limit, which means I have many templetes for each type of instrument). Also track folders would be nice, but PT may add that in an update soon (though no word on midi track count increase). If cubase could handle all these tracks (plus about 90 VE Pro instances) plus picture, that would be killer.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Midi assign shortcuts... uh... studio is shut down for the night and I can't remember what the exact key combination is as I do it by muscle memory, but it has similar functionality to PT in terms of highlighting a bunch of channels and with the right modifiers changing all the midi outputs (or what have you). One nice thing in Cubase is you can name plugin instances, which appear in the list of midi devices by your own friendly name, makes a huge difference that - so rather than staring at about 20 faceless VE Pro instances when you're routing ("Do I want VEP17 or VEP18? Uhhhh...."), you can have Symphobia, Albion, CineStrings or whatever you like. Oh, and this is something that isn't at all obvious - if you have a midi or an instrument track, and then create many more beneath it, it inherits the midi output by default, and auto increments the midi channel and name. So if you have a VE Pro instance called CineBrass and have midi channel 1 called CB1 (say) then you can add another 15 tracks that will auto-increment midi channels 2-16 and name them CB2, CB3 etc.

PT's lack of track folders is just one of many reasons I wouldn't consider it for VI use. I'm sure it will happen one day and Avid will claim they invented it.

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Today 30% discount on all wavelab upgrades (from Elements to Pro and from LE to Elements)

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Anders Wall wrote:
Jaap wrote:Today 30% discount on all wavelab upgrades (from Elements to Pro and from LE to Elements)
and so far the best price on Pro.
Buy the elements and then upgrade to Pro :)

:D

/Anders
Exactly what I just did :D Was always tempted by Wavelab (was still using an ancient Soundforge version) and just started a trial with Wavelab 9 Pro and went indeed from a copy I had lying around from LE to Elements to Pro 9.5 for less then 300 euro (vat deducted though)! Really started to like that you can easily use wavelab as wav editor in Cubase. Loving that feature.

heisenberg

Post by heisenberg »

As of now Canadian customers are getting the discounts for this sale. A few days ago we were being lumped in with the Americans.
Andrew Stone

Topic author
Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Missed yesterday, but today the chance to win one of the five copies for Dorico :)