Become a member to see more. To view and access the entire forum, register today. It's totally free.

Hollywood Choirs

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Anders Wall
Skurup, Sweden

Re: Hollywood Choirs

Postby Anders Wall » Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

soundbylaura wrote:... I guess I'll find out! :: dun dun dunnnn :: :D

I will report back after the sub ends.

Please do.
And best of luck with those SATB

/Anders

KyleJudkins

Postby KyleJudkins » Dec 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Ashermusic wrote:Kyle, you didn't initially make that distinction. You said there was "no noticeable difference."

Your exact words, and empirically wrong. That is all I wanted to address.

if you're going to take me literally to the point that it's useless then by all means. but don't upload an intentionally poor example of 1 library. We've all heard symphonic choirs used well, and you no doubt are capable of making a fairer example

Ashermusic

Postby Ashermusic » Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I have zero interest in making a "fair example." I am not trying to sell libraries.
And yes, Donald Trump notwithstanding, your exact words DO matter.

Read Guy's reply to you. I am now done.

KyleJudkins

Postby KyleJudkins » Dec 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Maybe I'll Pony up the money to do a comparison using composer cloud.

I just assumed that the point of discussing this so those of us who don't own it can get an accurate measure of the difference between the two. I'm sure both can produce excellent results, but I'm not convinced the improvements are worth the price if you already own symphonic choirs. This seems to have all of the same strengths and weaknesses of symphonic choirs with minor improvements in areas like miking and default word builder.

Hopefully it's smooth out some of the touching velocity, but would be most useful is actually making the modwheel do something significant

I'm not trying to pick on you J, you are one of the reasons I dumped a crap ton of money in east west products for my first VI purchase after sample tank.

it was STXL -> EWQL SC. -> 2 grand worth of CCC -> komplete.

You've always been insanely helpful, especially when it came to East-West products for obvious reasons, that's why I felt like this was unlike you

KyleJudkins

Postby KyleJudkins » Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

ohh by the way.

"Symphonic Choirs users should not upgrade to PLAY 6 until after the next Word Builder update. Please check back soon."

that's something worth noting. Is it possible to leave play 5 if you download play 6?

http://www.soundsonline.com/play6

Ashermusic

Postby Ashermusic » Dec 06, 2017 6:46 pm

KyleJudkins wrote:Hopefully it's smooth out some of the touching velocity, but would be most useful is actually making the modwheel do something significant

I'm not trying to pick on you J, you are one of the reasons I dumped a crap ton of money in east west products for my first VI purchase after sample tank.

it was STXL -> EWQL SC. -> 2 grand worth of CCC -> komplete.

You've always been insanely helpful, especially when it came to East-West products for obvious reasons, that's why I felt like this was unlike you

The modwheel switches between dynamic layers and increases/decreases vibrato, although there is not that much vibrato since a poll of Classical composers apparently didn't want it and that is how EW decided to go.
http://www.talkclassical.com/13016-vibr ... horal.html

I am always happy to help people, but I am not willing to spend much time debating people about libraries anymore. Most of them are fine, none of them are perfect. I give my opinions and people are free to assign them as much or little credibility as they choose, but I am not going to spend my time creating examples to convince people.

Guy Rowland
UK

Postby Guy Rowland » Dec 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Ashermusic wrote:The modwheel switches between dynamic layers and increases/decreases vibrato, although there is not that much vibrato since a poll of Classical composers apparently didn't want it and that is how EW decided to go.
http://www.talkclassical.com/13016-vibr ... horal.html.

Oh, that IS interesting, so that example you posted is as vibrato-ey as it gets? I think the original SC got it pretty much right for maximum vib - I've heard one or two libraries go more extreme and it just gets awful, but imo that's going to limit it's usefulness.

KyleJudkins

Postby KyleJudkins » Dec 06, 2017 7:23 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f42rf0mmg145r ... o.mp3?dl=0

It's got something weird going on with some consonants in the stereo field... the S in particular feels like an army of snakes in my left speaker

That's with no reverb

KyleJudkins

Postby KyleJudkins » Dec 06, 2017 7:31 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uq3sgw4uhvdef ... c.mp3?dl=0

that's a little verb + predelay + doubling just to make it a little wetter, using the mod wheel a little to get an idea of the dynamic range.

The thing I liked about SC that is missing in this - is the fact that since velocity meant a lot more, caused variations in dynamics with other layers.

this is one of those cases where you really should use 4 instances of play to get a decent result

Lawrence
New York City

Postby Lawrence » Dec 06, 2017 11:04 pm

An interesting note-my favorite thing about SC is the Boys Choir, which HC doesn't have-disappointing to me. Legato or no, the tone is excellent. I was asked to do a live school choir with piano accompaniment a few years ago with the kids singing something or other, which WB works well for (specific language not so much):

http://www.ljnmusicandsound.com/2013/le ... dren-sing/

(YOU can call me Larry)

KyleJudkins

Postby KyleJudkins » Dec 07, 2017 12:01 am

protip: you can double and stack consonants to make them louder and clearer. This is obviously something useful for any EWQL WB library

Ashermusic

Postby Ashermusic » Dec 07, 2017 12:26 am

Guy Rowland wrote:
Ashermusic wrote:The modwheel switches between dynamic layers and increases/decreases vibrato, although there is not that much vibrato since a poll of Classical composers apparently didn't want it and that is how EW decided to go.
http://www.talkclassical.com/13016-vibr ... horal.html.

Oh, that IS interesting, so that example you posted is as vibrato-ey as it gets? I think the original SC got it pretty much right for maximum vib - I've heard one or two libraries go more extreme and it just gets awful, but imo that's going to limit it's usefulness.

Not necessarily I didn't use the modwheel much. But yes, it has less max vibrato than SC.

Return to “The Front Page”