There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Orchestral Tools: Metropolis Ark 1

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Orchestral Tools: Metropolis Ark 1

Post by Guy Rowland »

From the website - METROPOLIS ARK I features the loudest imaginable dynamics starting from mf upwards to ffff. Everything is designed to be loud, to be bold and boundary-shatteringly epic

DISTRICT I - ORCHESTRA: Strings, Woodwinds, Brass
DISTRICT II - CHOIR: Men, Woman
DISTRICT III - EPIC PERCUSSION
DISTRICT IV - BAND: E-Guitars, E-Bass, Drumset
18 Sections/ Instruments
Extensive Articulation Sets
True Legato
Based on CAPSULE for KONTAKT Player
160 GB of samples (75 GB NCW compressed)
24Bit / 48KHz Patches

Full articulation list - http://www.orchestraltools.com/resource ... _Ark_1.pdf

€349.- instead of €549.- + VAT
Pre-Order Special ends on release (Dec., 17).
Another Introspecial Deal starts after release until January, 1

More details here:

http://www.orchestraltools.com/librarie ... _ark_1.php

Marius

Re: Orchestral Tools: Metropolis Ark 1

Post by Marius »

Pardon my French but holy shit :shock:

That is one hell of a sound. Dammit, guys, I was so good this holiday season...didn't buy a thing. Now this?? How am I supposed to resist this temptation?!
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

tack

Post by tack »

9 horns and 12 double basses. :D

Well, they are certainly very clear about how they are marketing this product. :)
- Jason

eegee

Post by eegee »

Happy with the price. Sad about the hard disk space. I'll need to start paring down my SSD (or buy another)
Twitter: @EricGeorge_

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Not my kind of thing as I don't get hired to do that big bombastic stuff and i don't like combos, but I gotta say it sounds really good and is attractively priced, so tip of the hat to the OT folks.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Yasin Yavuz

Post by Yasin Yavuz »

It looks and sounds amazing. Definitely hard to resist for intro price :)
tack wrote:9 horns and 12 double basses. :D
Have you seen 8dio majestica? 30 horns and 30 basses :P

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Good lord. It's very tempting to buy it just to PLAY it.

I might buy it just to impress my friends (when I get some.)
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

JS9

Post by JS9 »

Lawrence wrote:Good lord. It's very tempting to buy it just to PLAY it.

I might buy it just to impress my friends (when I get some.)
Well thats as good a reason as any :D

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Ashermusic wrote:Not my kind of thing as I don't get hired to do that big bombastic stuff and i don't like combos
In general neither do I, but I remember your post when you were bemoaning the concept behind CineOrch- my, that got out of control quickly, didn't it?!?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Lawrence wrote:
Ashermusic wrote:Not my kind of thing as I don't get hired to do that big bombastic stuff and i don't like combos
In general neither do I, but I remember your post when you were bemoaning the concept behind CineOrch- my, that got out of control quickly, didn't it?!?
Indeed it did, but thankfully this place is different. People are more open to alternative points of view and willing to take me at my word that it has nothing to do with my part time job for EW, because it doesn't.

I really like the Orchestral Tools guys, Hendrik and Tobias, and I like what they are doing with the Berlin orchestra. If I did not have the EW Hollywood Orchestra, I would be choosing the Berlin stuff over the CineSamples, 8Dio, Project Sam and Spitfire stuff. No disrespect to any of those as they also create nice stuff as well, but OT has it going on IMHO.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

FWIW - from the articulation list above the only combos are the strings, gathered into High and Low. Everything else looks like single instruments.

Marius

Post by Marius »

Guy Rowland wrote:FWIW - from the articulation list above the only combos are the strings, gathered into High and Low. Everything else looks like single instruments.
I have to say, I really like that approach. You still get the ensemble sound but with more flexibility.

Sadly the articulations list also reveals a lack of legato for the trumpets, which is a shame. The horns have it, and in my mind the trumpets should also have it, but I'm sure it'll be possible to work around it easily enough.

I would wait for more demos but frankly I think I've heard everything I need to hear. Going to pre-order in the next couple of days and probably do a walkthrough video when I get it...those are always fun :)
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Ashermusic wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Indeed it did, but thankfully this place is different. People are more open to alternative points of view and willing to take me at my word that it has nothing to do with my part time job for EW, because it doesn't.

I really like the Orchestral Tools guys, Hendrik and Tobias, and I like what they are doing with the Berlin orchestra. If I did not have the EW Hollywood Orchestra, I would be choosing the Berlin stuff over the CineSamples, 8Dio, Project Sam and Spitfire stuff. No disrespect to any of those as they also create nice stuff as well, but OT has it going on IMHO.
I never thought it had to do with your job. I thought it had to do with your philosophy of composing.

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Lawrence wrote:I never thought it had to do with your job. I thought it had to do with your philosophy of composing.
That is because you are a reasonable and thoughtful person:)

It has less to do with any philosophy I have however, than just the way I think while composing. I just don't think "strings" when i am composing, I think violins, violas, etc.

But if I got hired to doing something that needed to be BIG, I think I would buy this.

www.jayasher.com

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I may buy it because it has suddenly become an arms race. I do write some epic stuff, and with prices this reasonable, the standard of largeness just went up exponentially.

L.J. Nachsin

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

Lawrence wrote:I may buy it because it has suddenly become an arms race. I do write some epic stuff, and with prices this reasonable, the standard of largeness just went up exponentially.
Yeah, kinda gotta buy it out of self-defense these days. You know the guy with a laptop who has two libraries? This will be one of those two.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

The second son of Odin was never Loki, was it? It was Knorr. Thor and Knorr. The latter capable of unleashing even more spectacular powers than his hammer-slinging brother.

Read the credits? Sasha did not only do the music, but the editing and the fritzlangley CGI as well.

_

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

They definitely crossed the border between "Brass" and "Braaaaahhhhhm".

Carles

Post by Carles »

Sascha Knorr wrote:
Piet De Ridder wrote:The second son of Odin was never Loki, was it? It was Knorr. Thor and Knorr. The latter capable of unleashing even more spectacular powers than his hammer-slinging brother.
_
Hahahaha.... made my day Piet :)
I knew about Mike Verta doing CG work too but had no idea about Sascha. Good to know that I'm not such a rare specimen! but indeed I'd like to switch the amount of participation for each field (we do work way too much here at Weta Digital). It would be more fun if CG would be something to do time to time only. Currently I'm too saturated about CG as per being something enjoyable any more (actually very tired about, nice movie credits but actual boring job. My daily fun begins every day after dinner only, just when I do start up my DAW).

Cheers!
Carles

tack

Post by tack »

Carles wrote:My daily fun begins every day after dinner only, just when I do start up my DAW).
How much productive time do you manage with your DAW? I know when I get home from work I'm mentally exhausted, so the evening DAW time I have is not terribly fruitful.
- Jason

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Piet De iRidder wrote:The second son of Odin was never Loki, was it? It was Knorr. Thor and Knorr. The latter capable of unleashing even more spectacular powers than his hammer-slinging brother.

Read the credits? Sasha did not only do the music, but the editing and the fritzlangley CGI as well.

_
Congratulations, Sascha!

Piet, will you be epic-ing with the Ark?

L.J. Nachsin

Carles

Post by Carles »

tack wrote:
Carles wrote:My daily fun begins every day after dinner only, just when I do start up my DAW).
How much productive time do you manage with your DAW? I know when I get home from work I'm mentally exhausted, so the evening DAW time I have is not terribly fruitful.
All of it! I'm physically tired, that's the only thing that can reduce productivity slightly, but music always becomes extremely refreshing to my mind! When writing music frustration kills my productivity much more than fatigue does. I usually have lots of fun with music.
My day job is artistic but is not creative so once used to the techniques and tools it becomes quite boring.
The night to me is like the break time in the school. While school (day job) is not that bad, during the break is when you can actually play as a kid does, my actual moment of fun. I only go to sleep (around 3:30AM) because I'm physically exhaust, otherwise I could stay all night long playing around with music, no sleepiness, no mental fatigue, just "that fun time that passess too quickly".

Keep in mind also that I'm Asperger at some degree, meaning that motivations/priorities and how these affect my mind/dedication are not the norm. I do tend to be over passionate about subjects that took my deepest interest for any reason, and music is one of them.

TheUnfinished

Post by TheUnfinished »

I hardly ever write epic music, but... might be worth buyiong just because it sounds so much bloody fun!

Especially as I just bought Symphobia 1. Could be quite massive to combine them. :)

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

'Hardly ever' is still an awful lot compared to how often I have dabbled in 'epic', but I was thinking the same thing: might be well worth buying anyway.
No better-sounding and more reasonably priced tool to discover one's epic inner self with, is there?

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

I'd love it but I'm too busy grappling with 'septic' :/