There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Spitfire Chrysalis & Sacconi Quartet Vol. 1

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Marius

Spitfire Chrysalis & Sacconi Quartet Vol. 1

Post by Marius »

Last two libraries from Spitfire for 2015!

Chrysalis, the studio harp and processed goodies library:

And volume 1 (violin) of a new string quartet library:
Marius Masalar | http://mariusmasalar.me

FriFlo

Re: Spitfire Chrysalis & Sacconi Quartet Vol. 1

Post by FriFlo »

Hmm ... it sounds very nice, but it seems like it is entirely on the soft side ... like a library designed to play up to mf ...

kpc

Post by kpc »

FriFlo wrote:Hmm ... it sounds very nice, but it seems like it is entirely on the soft side ... like a library designed to play up to mf ...
Yeah, that's one of the things I like about it. I'm a bit tired of the bombastically huge, epic stuff coming out. I'm on the fence about these two, mostly due to budget issues, but I like the quiet sweet sound. Of course I on,y had a cursory listen.

Kc
- kayle

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Both sound lovely. Totally wedded to the Virharmonic approach (in theory... should be trying it myself soon) so the violin isn't so much of a pull. The Samuel Sim library is rather tempting though, must admit,

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Love the sound of the strings. I naturally gravitate towards softer sounding strings anyway :-)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I love the sound and the agility of the violin. I was thinking "they've nailed it!" until I realized (correct me if you got a different impression) that there are no non-vibrato or non-vibrato to vibrato longs.

The harp sounds beautiful but doesn't seem to have the option of a really crisp and present sound. Maybe that could be done with EQ.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

He seems to be using the vibrato slider when playing the longs patch in the walkthrough. Unless I've misunderstood what you're meaning.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Yes, from less to more, unless I have it wrong, which would make me pretty happy!

Edit- I'm probably not being clear. I always want the option to have no vibrato at all.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

kpc wrote:
FriFlo wrote:Hmm ... it sounds very nice, but it seems like it is entirely on the soft side ... like a library designed to play up to mf ...
Yeah, that's one of the things I like about it. I'm a bit tired of the bombastically huge, epic stuff coming out. I'm on the fence about these two, mostly due to budget issues, but I like the quiet sweet sound. Of course I on,y had a cursory listen.

Kc
Yeah, but that is not my point. I meant it sounds to weak an kind of without any emotion. And ff does not have to be epic ... :-)
It would be interesting done with more detail IMO. More layers, more dynamic, a few articulations more ...

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Lawrence wrote:Yes, from less to more, unless I have it wrong, which would make me pretty happy!

Edit- I'm probably not being clear. I always want the option to have no vibrato at all.
It's alright, I figured that out after the cogs in my head started moving. I'd be surprised if it didn't go to no vibrato. I like the option too!

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Killiard wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Yes, from less to more, unless I have it wrong, which would make me pretty happy!

It's alright, I figured that out after the cogs in my head started moving. I'd be surprised if it didn't go to no vibrato. I like the option too!
Of course the longs have control of vibrato intensity which includes 'off'

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Ray, you know this how?

L.J. Nachsin

ZeeCount

Post by ZeeCount »

I bought it, and I can confirm that on the longs patch the vibrato control goes all the way to "no vibrato".
Soundcloud __________ Youtube

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

That's awesome, thanks! What do you think of it?

Edit-is the "longs patch" also the legato patch?

L.J. Nachsin

dadek

Post by dadek »

Has anyone heard anything about the ETA of the rest of the string quartet? If we only get Vl 1, and they only get in the hall one day a year, it seems we could be waiting a while...
Sounds lovely and I'd love the whole quartet for writing, less for solo mock ups, especially with the stage position it's been recorded in.
...meanwhile downloading Chrysalis.

ZeeCount

Post by ZeeCount »

Lawrence wrote:That's awesome, thanks! What do you think of it?

Edit-is the "longs patch" also the legato patch?
Only had a brief runover with it, but so far I like what I hear. It has a very smooth delicate sound with a really pleasant room ambiance that doesn't get too overbearing. The close ribbon mic is pretty dry, while you can hear a bit of a release trail on the standard close mic. The ambient mic makes them sound like they are at the back of a hall, but they still retain a good amount of definition.

They remind me a bit of the BML horns that I have, in regards to the fact that they feel like they only reach a tentative F in dynamics. One of the reasons I bought them was to augment LASS and give them a bit more detail and it looks like it will serve this purpose quite well.

The legatos are on a separate patch called "playable" from the rest.

Two negatives: It looks like the volume of the marcato patch has been assigned to the vibrato by mistake because reducing vibrato also reduce the volume of the patch and it would be nice if there were muted samples.

ZeeCount

Post by ZeeCount »

Also from the other board:
"Kindly received a quick message after putting a request via sf support from Paul that in a soon to be released update they will add the already recorded portamento."