There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Kontakt 5.6 Released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Jack Weaver

Re: Kontakt 5.6 Released

Post by Jack Weaver »

Yeow, could that make it any more difficult to see the KS colors?

Let's hope they wise up on this one. Think I'll hold off on upgrade as long as possible.

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Yes, all I can see that 5.6 does is lose features. The colored keys are a big deal considering I would have to buy the keyboard AND komplete just to see the keys. I Already own mucn of komplete (all I want) buying it all again for this is silly. Will have to hold off as long as possible too.

jtnyc

Post by jtnyc »

Here's a link to a feature request thread of their forum. If you want the large font, jump on in and +1 this request

Thx -) http://tiny.ph/PunJ

Topic author
playz123

Post by playz123 »

Guy Rowland wrote:What are the real-world advantages, folks? is it any easier to organise library tabs, for example?
All NI has sent to me so far is: "The free 5.6 update provides KONTAKT 5 with an updated user interface. The update also brings improvements to stability and a number of important bug fixes. KONTAKT instrument developers now benefit from a number of new KSP features, allowing larger available screen space for user interfaces and improved instrument building workflow.

The 5.6 update also introduces Usage Data Tracking to KONTAKT 5 and KONTAKT 5 PLAYER. This will help us ensure quality and stability by allowing us to collect important data on how the software is used. This will always be done anonymously and can be disabled at any time."
Frank E. Lancaster

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

If there's no real world advantages - and I honestly haven't read anything yet - seems like one to skip for now. But I guess libraries will come out before long that need 5.6, so probably just a temporary reprieve.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Whoa - did I read somewhere that multi purge has been dropped? Why on earth would they do that?! Lots of good reasons to skip this update, it seems.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

And another reason to avoid 5.5 like the plague - just read that apparently the max voice limit is ignored in 5.6.

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

worst update ever. Stay away as wide as you can.
No purge all, TONS of UI glitches, no big UI. Also I think the new UI is butt ugly :)

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Incomprehensible that things like this can happen, isn't it? I mean, with NI Kontakt, of all software. If it had happened with a small piece of software from a small one-man-operation company, you could, I suppose, understand a lapse like this, but Big World-dominating Kontakt from Big World-dominating Native Instruments??

And surely, a couple of months of rigorous beta-testing must have preceded this release, months during which dozens of people must have expressed all the complaints which everybody is expressing now, but still some stubborn head of R&D, probably a person with a mega-supersized monitor, refused to listen and went ahead with the release of what is indeed one of the most disturbing versions of Kontakt ever. Weird.

_

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

They are not the only ones.
Very, very frequently in companies there is one person who has the power and will just do what s/he pleases.
The problem is that if that fails, there will only be consequences to the lowest level employees. If a high-ranking manager screws up, s/he will at most be asked to resign and get a higher paid job elsewhere, but usually s/he will just get a "shut up bonus".

I know for a fact that all these items _WERE_ raised during the beta test. NI simply did not care, because they don't have to.

It is the same thing with Support, for example. I work extremely hard to provide great support to my customers, but I know full well that when presented between
a) send OT an email, get no reply, spend days to sort out stuff, but get sales all the time
and
b) send OT an email, get a reply within a few hours with 1on1 help, but never have sales
99% of customers would choose b.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Tobias Escher wrote:worst update ever.
I so nearly quoted Comic Book Guy myself. And thanks for giving us a little peek behind the curtain, thought I'm not surprised to read that they were told in beta but didn't care.

I think I read somewhere that they'd be looking at the UI font size issue (I think they might be on shaky legal ground with accessibility issues), presumably they'll fix the voice count bug, but I do hope they revisit multi purge - the thing whose absence most irritates me.