There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cinesamples CineStrings update v1.3, plus new product - CineHarps

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Cinesamples CineStrings update v1.3, plus new product - CineHarps

Post by Guy Rowland »

Curious - I always liked the CineStrings legato very much. Given their history of mucking up perfectly good legato, I'll be waiting for solid word on this (though I'd expect it would be ok to copy existing instruments somewhere else and put them in a subfolder of the new).

Meanwhile, it looks like they also have a new harp about to be released:

bryla

Re: Cinesamples CineStrings update v1.3, plus new product

Post by bryla »

Legato speed? It seems that a lot of developers interchange the word legato for glissando.
Thomas Bryla

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

bryla wrote:Legato speed? It seems that a lot of developers interchange the word legato for glissando.
Yeah, that's just the thing in this case. The legato was very subtle, just a nice pretty seamless joining up (you have to add tail, but that's no biggie). There wasn't any glissando... so why the speed control, eh?

PhJ

Post by PhJ »

There's one in Spitfire's Albion too (in 1 &2 and maybe in the other libraries..?)
I suppose it's more the length of the recorded interval that is effectively played (so not related to glissando).

And in Loegria, even at the lowest (faster) setting, fast legato playing is not really a viable option.
(or at least I didn't succeed in making it work)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: Cinesamples CineStrings update v1.3, plus new product - CineHarps

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, the new product is indeed CineHarps

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Question is, how much more do I have to pay for that "s" ? If there's a decent discount for those that own Cineharp great, but if not (20% off is not great) then I may have enough harps. ;)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

X - I'm guessing these will be all new recordings. I've never liked the old CineHarp - I think it was about the first thing they ever did.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

I'm looking forward to both the CineStrings 1.3 Update, and the new CineHarps Library.

As far as Harps go, I only have one Harp Library, and that is ProjectSam's Concert Harp. Actually, I really like the way it sounds, but having access to more options for Harps will be very useful. According to CineSamples, they will offer three different Harps in the upcoming CineHarps Library.

I wonder when they plan to release CineStrings Pro ?

Cheers,
Muziksculp

woodrose

Post by woodrose »

You can view the CineHarps walkthrough here.

Product info here.
https://cinesamples.com/product/ch

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Sounds very good.

Thanks for the heads up on the walkthrough video.

It will be nice if they have an Intro Price.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, thanks for posting. Having resisted everything for a while, I may yet succumb to this one. Lovely sound, feels very practical and not over fussy while covering pretty much everything I can think of. It's 5.6.8 sadly, but sounds like that's inevitable now for new Player libraries.

woodrose

Post by woodrose »

As an owner of their Cineharp, which is lacking sorely in comparison to the production values of the rest of their products, I've been hoping for this product for a long time. Beautiful timbre, exquisitely playable and a LIGHT RAM footprint.

I wonder how big the discount is for Cineharp owners, since it says in the video description that owners get a coupon.

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Guy Rowland wrote:X - I'm guessing these will be all new recordings. I've never liked the old CineHarp - I think it was about the first thing they ever did.
This does sound nicer than Cineharp, which for me was replaced by Project Sam's harp, but I still feel it's usable.

But no Round Robins? Considering many of the patches are phrase playback, I'm surprised with 12GB of compressed samples there is no RR, but I suppose most of that space is just ringouts. ;)

The Concert Harp sounds great, but the rest is Fx phrase playback. The two extra harps and fx just seem there to justify what may be a bloated price.. "Harmonics are essential" - well then where are the harmonics for the other harps? How about anything else besides a pluck on the other harps?

My prediction is that the price will be $199, which they know is expensive for a single harp (see Elysium Harp or Glissando Harp) so instead of lowering the price they add content. "It's 3 harps!" - seems like an afterthought.

The discount for Cineharp owners (based on past discounts) will probably be $50. If it's less, or the price is higher than I expect, then I'll have to wait for a major sale. It's just sad that most CS discount coupons only take the discount off full price (not sale price) negating any sale advantage. Between this and charging me for updates to Cinewinds Core and Pro, I've lost confidence in Cinesamples. They won't even offer me the sale price on Cineperc Aux to complete my CinePerc (I have a coupon that sets the price at $199- which is current full price). So nice after spending thousands of dolllars with them. Thanks Cinesamples (I've sent them a few emails on this but never gotten a reply). :/

My CineGriping is over, perhaps I CineHarp on them too much. ;)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I haven't had buyers remorse on any of the current Cine range. Most products have flaws and theirs are no exception, but I can live fairly happy with them (though in some cases that's only because I kept earlier versions of their nkis).

The lack of round robin is a blessing - keeps that library size down to sensible levels and their sample stealing sounds great to my ears, so I likely won't miss it. You missed the pedal scale feature, X, that'll be v handy. As for the phrases - sounds like an excellent implementation with the releases. I'd like a tempo adjust control - three speeds might be a blunt instrument. And with TM Pro it should be easy to implement and sound very good.

I doubt harps 2 and 3 will get much use from anyone, but won't complain about having them there.

bbunker

Post by bbunker »

Any word on the Cinestrings update? That whole "here it comes" post was almost two weeks ago, and as far as I can tell there's no news yet.

NoamL

Post by NoamL »

I love the sound of this stage for the harp. The harp is kinda the percussion equivalent of the french horn, I suppose... in that the space really determines the character of the sound. The microphone options here are far, far more versatile than the CTA mics for Spitfire's SK Harp.

Tim Starne's mix is 100% on brief for "That Hollywood Sound" just like his mix of Tina Guo's cello.

An absolute must-have for harp is a differently treated set of samples to create glissandos, so that the notes sound brushed instead of one-by-one-plcuked. I just wasn't hearing enough difference in the other harps released recently, leaving Spitfire's dedicated "slid" articulation as the best sounding option. CineSamples' gliss samples may be artificially treated (from what I gathered?), but they sound good.

There's a LOT of other content here, I guess because they wanted to make a "You'll Never Need Another Harp" library. It will be expensive I'm sure ;) but worth it.

NoamL

Post by NoamL »

PS Michael Giacchino should get royalties for those palm slap samples haha!

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

No CineStrings 1.3 update yet. and Yes, I agree $249. is a bit steep. Maybe they will have a special discount on Black Friday.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Did they say what the discount is for existing CineHarp owners?

I doubt there would be a sale as soon as Black Friday, but I'd expect one next year. I suspect it's going to fall about the impulse buy price for many.

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Mike's been on twitter asking this too...

"Next question, what about only buying instruments you need a la cart for cheaper? Say, just a solid long strings patch or just timpani etc.."

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

To answer my own question above - existing customers of CineHarp will get $50 off. No mention of time limit or if it would apply in future with any other discount.

lucor

Post by lucor »

Almost 6 weeks later and still no 1.3 update for CineStrings. Shame, was really looking forward to the new legato scripting...

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Personally I'm gonna wait for the feedback from others before updating to 1.3 anyway (added to the fact I'll have to bite the bullet and install Native Access too). They've screwed up legato before with their updates, and Cinestrings was legato they got right the first time imo.

Will Bedford

Post by Will Bedford »

lucor wrote:Almost 6 weeks later and still no 1.3 update for CineStrings. Shame, was really looking forward to the new legato scripting...
It's on its way :)