There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

TC Electronics VSS-3 payment system issue

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
X-bassist

TC Electronics VSS-3 payment system issue

Post by X-bassist »

***Check bottom post for TC electronic's payment system hack warning.

30% off VSS-3 Reverb this weekend only. Code: DAWESOMEREVERB. $60 off ($139). Ends Monday at Noon CET. Cheers.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/vss3-native/

From the Email:

Whoop!

We've just released version 1.1 of our VSS3 Native reverb plug-in, and feel like celebrating with you all!

So, here's your celebratory promo-code which will slash 30% off the price of the standard license.

This weekend only - $139, plus VAT where applicable.

Promo-code for our webstore:
DAWESOMEREVERB
(expires Monday 14th at noon CET)

With this software update all the Signature Presets, designed by industry greats such as the guys and girls from Skywalker Sound, are included with the plug-in alongside the factory presets known from our System 6000 hardware.

heisenberg

Re: TC Electronics VSS-3 discount

Post by heisenberg »

Does it really emulate the hardware version of this in all its glory and how is it in terms of CPU utilization?

EDIT:

I see there are comments on this verb over in this thread...

http://www.thesoundboard.net/viewtopic. ... 730#p28730
Andrew Stone

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Even if it were $20 I probably wouldn't get it. That GUI is horribly uninspiring :/

Gimme Valhalla any time of day or night :)
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

EvilDragon wrote:Even if it were $20 I probably wouldn't get it. That GUI is horribly uninspiring :/
Looks like a System 6000 to me.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I'm on the fence, TC reverbs were among my favorites back when hardware roamed the earth. But I feel like I have more than I can reasonably use already, so I will grudgingly pass on the offer, pretending to be an adult about money or something<G>!

Topic author
X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Guy Rowland wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Even if it were $20 I probably wouldn't get it. That GUI is horribly uninspiring :/
Looks like a System 6000 to me.
I actually voted it the worst interface I'd ever seen when I first came across it, but then I demo'ed it. After testing many reverbs (including Altiverb, Seventh Heaven, 480L, Spaces, Vahalla Room/Vintage, and many others which I own) I actually liked the Lexicon PCM Bundle Reverb best, but the VSS-3 came in second.

If you mix a lot (especially for film or TV) it sounds the most natural of all the current native reverb plugins out there, more clear and transparent than most out there, though not quite what the hardware can deliver (not surprisingly). For $139 it's a good deal.

And ED, you of all people know the interface can be updated/improved fairly easily, the sound is another story. Anyone wondering should demo it first. Perhaps TC will never update the GUI (especially if it matches their hardware) but I can hide it and control my gag reflex when I have to look at it. ;)

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

X-bassist wrote:And ED, you of all people know the interface can be updated/improved fairly easily, the sound is another story.
Of course, but TC is not really known by GUI refreshes, as far as I can tell. So it's pretty safe to say that it'll never happen.

It can sound like million dollars, but if it's shit to use, I'm not interested :/
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

EvilDragon wrote:It can sound like million dollars, but if it's shit to use, I'm not interested :/
Really?! For a reverb? There's nothing in the reverb parameters that bothers me about it being numerical input. Come to think of it, I nearly always use numerical input on the reverbs I do use.

For me the UI is vastly more important when it comes to stuff like synths, but when it comes to a reverb, it's pretty much bottom of my priority list. Sound, features, resource use are pretty much all I care about.

Topic author
X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Guy Rowland wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:It can sound like million dollars, but if it's shit to use, I'm not interested :/
Really?! For a reverb? There's nothing in the reverb parameters that bothers me about it being numerical input. Come to think of it, I nearly always use numerical input on the reverbs I do use.

For me the UI is vastly more important when it comes to stuff like synths, but when it comes to a reverb, it's pretty much bottom of my priority list. Sound, features, resource use are pretty much all I care about.
Fab Filter Imho has raised the bar on GUI's, and for me it does make a difference, but after mixing for so many years with hardware, I'm not put off by numerical input either. I just hope that someday most plug-in developers would see a mix of both (graphical for normal use, numerical for remmbering my settings) is optimal.

Having said that I can understand ED's point. Most old school companies (of which TC is one) rarely change with the times, and therefore go into obscurity eventually. For now I'll deal with it for the sound and all the unique presets and tweaking capabilities (hoping they update the GUI someday). Considering Altiverb cost me nearly four times the price, it's not a hard gamble.

Topic author
X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Ironically after many tries with many different cards, TC electronics declines all of them! Does anyone know if VSS-3 is sold anywhere else? They don't take Paypal and their system is crazy, enter lot's of info before finding out it's declined. Then if you close the window you have to start all over again. I guess after waiting for a sale like this for months, I may have to pass anyway. :/

tack

Post by tack »

How frustrating. I'm afraid that, for their plugins, I'm not able to find any resellers either. I suppose the universe is telling you to be happy with the Lexicon PCM reverbs. :)
- Jason

Topic author
X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

tack wrote:How frustrating. I'm afraid that, for their plugins, I'm not able to find any resellers either. I suppose the universe is telling you to be happy with the Lexicon PCM reverbs. :)
True. Thanks. The PCM would probably still be #1. :)

playz123

Post by playz123 »

X-bassist wrote:Ironically after many tries with many different cards, TC electronics declines all of them! Does anyone know if VSS-3 is sold anywhere else? They don't take Paypal and their system is crazy, enter lot's of info before finding out it's declined. Then if you close the window you have to start all over again. I guess after waiting for a sale like this for months, I may have to pass anyway. :/
I had problems too with the payment system. When I typed in my card number the first time, it put spaces between the numbers in places and gave an "Invalid Number" message. So I deleted the numbers, and typed in the card number again ensuring there were no spaces. Although the message remained, I then clicked the payment button, and the purchase went through with no problem. So no spaces and ignoring the Invalid message may help you.
As for the interface, it is not an issue for me. I care more about what it does and how it affects the output or matches my expectations than basing a purchase solely on whether the interface is pretty or not. :)
Frank E. Lancaster

kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

fwiw many years ago.......
I really liked the sound of VSS-3 when I had a powercore card,of all of the companies I've bought software over the years, for me TC Electronics support was horrible.To this day TC had the worst tech support I have ever encountered.
I could not get the card to work after using it for a year or 2, after several attempts contacting TC tech support who offered no help or offered any kind of solution.
Eventually I pulled the card and never used it again. :angry:
Last year when TC introduced the VSS-3 as a plugin they had an attractive introductory discount offer for former Powercore users,I still felt too burned from TC to want to give them my $$. :hurt:
So yeah the verb sounds nice but if the company and support is anything like it was when I had the Powercore card,I'll pass.
Myself,I prefer giving my business to companies that are easy to deal with and actually offer support for their products with their customers.
Today there are so many great reverbs and wonderful developers who understand the importance of support,customer service and retaining clients for the long run .
Yeah this is just my experience with TC and I know they might be better now but they were as bad as it gets back in the day............
2012 Mac Pro 3.3GHz, 12core, 96gig, Mojave,DP10.13,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,
a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 10U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's & plugins, Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata Power Snakes and Conditioners,numerous hard drives.………

Topic author
X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

kgdrum wrote:fwiw many years ago.......
I really liked the sound of VSS-3 when I had a powercore card,of all of the companies I've bought software over the years, for me TC Electronics support was horrible.To this day TC had the worst tech support I have ever encountered.
I could not get the card to work after using it for a year or 2, after several attempts contacting TC tech support who were offered no help or offered any kind of solution.
Eventually I pulled the card and never used it again. :angry:
Last year when TC introduced the VSS-3 as a plugin they had an attractive introductory discount offer for former Powercore users,I still felt too burned from TC to want to give them my $$. :hurt:
So yeah the verb sounds nice but if the company and support is anything like it was when I had the Powercore card,I'll pass.
Myself,I prefer giving my business to companies that are easy to deal with and actually offer support for their products with their customers.
Today there are so many great reverbs and wonderful developers who understand the importance of support,customer service and retaining clients for the long run .
Yeah this is just my experience with TC and I know they might be better now but they were as bad as it gets back in the day............
Thanks for this POV. I owned TCE hardware in the late 90's but never had an issue with it, so never encountered their customer service, Good to know. Since then I have not bought any TCE products by coincedence (actually it's because most are priced beyond their usefulness IMHO) but finding support lacking is definitely a mark against buying in the future. Any other (more current) TC Electronics war stories are greatly appreciated. I too have a few companies that I would not purchase from again at any price, so I understand the sentiment. Thanks again.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Guess this will be a bit of a dissenting opinion, but actually I have had no problems with this company at all. My first experience was with one of TC Helicon's hardware products called Voiceworks, which I purchased before 2004 I've had no issues either, and it is still working fine today, even though I don't use it much anymore. My installation and activation of VSS3 has gone smoothly and the required messages from TC arrived promptly. The manual is informative. So far, I am very impressed with the output...tested with acoustic guitar, then piano, then mixed orchestral (Large Warm Hall for the latter). I was also surprised to find a collection of "Signature Presets" in addition to the TC ones. I like the fact that the interface can be enlarged significantly just by pulling on a corner, and am a loss to understand why "Numerical input" has been a concern. One can simply move the mouse up and down on the little faders beside each entry and change values that way, without typing in anything. Maybe I am misunderstanding what is intended by that term? Personally, I have no complaints at all about the interface, and am most impressed with this purchase. Will it replace my Lexicons? That remains to be seen. But I do know it's going to be a very useful addition to my collection of reverbs. Anyway, just some initial impressions to share.

ADDENDUM: Sent a minor question to their Support yesterday. It was answered in less than 24 hours, and it provided me with the information I requested.
Frank E. Lancaster

Topic author
X-bassist

Re: TC Electronics VSS-3 discount - Hack warning

Post by X-bassist »

Dear Friends, I ask anyone who has purchased through TC electronics payment system to check their accounts. My purchase was declined twice so I gave up, but today that same account had 2 declined withdrawls for much more. Luckily I keep little in this account, but I have only used this for the previous TC electronics purchase, and nothing else. So I'm afraid the TC elctronics payment system is most likely hacked, and anyone buying (whether the purchase went through or not) may have accounts at risk.

Please look at the account you used for purchase and check for any new purchases or withdrawls after (especially in the last couple of days). The bank is changing out my card as we speak, I just want to warn anyone here who might have also gone through the payment system. If you find something report it to your bank and replace the card.

playz123

Re: TC Electronics VSS-3 discount - Hack warning

Post by playz123 »

My payment via MasterCard and my bank referral went through fine, and no additional charges or whatever are on my statement, so no problems here. Sounds as if you've had a miserable time trying to make a purchase, which is most unfortunate. Maybe contact Support; they've been answering within 24 hours.
Frank E. Lancaster