There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

FluffyAudio - Dominus Choir

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
paoling

FluffyAudio - Dominus Choir

Post by paoling »

Hello guys! Maybe you have seen on the other forum but we have release our latest effort and we are very proud of it! :)

Dominus Choir

The library is on an introductory price till October 10th.

Product Page:
https://fluffyaudio.com/shop/dominuschoir/

playz123

Re: FluffyAudio - Dominus Choir

Post by playz123 »

And proud you should be. The demos are lovely and this is on my list to purchase before the intro price expires. Congratulations on the release of your new library!
Frank E. Lancaster

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I'm a little backed up here! but I'll definately try to pony up for this one!

Topic author
paoling

Post by paoling »

Thank you! I should make a more technical video in these days which hopefully shows better how the library works, the mic positions and stuff. We are getting an overwhelming response..!

SillyMidOn

Post by SillyMidOn »

The demos sound rather amazing, I have to say. Great to see a non-UK/US developer, as well, that can only be a good thing!

Topic author
paoling

Post by paoling »

Thank you, Silly! Uhm.. I didn't mean to offend you :-)

To be fair there are plenty of non-US/UK developers, but we are usually quieter :-P

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

paoling wrote:Thank you, Silly! Uhm.. I didn't mean to offend you :-)

To be fair there are plenty of non-US/UK developers, but we are usually quieter :-P
I'm still trying to catch up >.> hopefully I'll be able to squeeze it out in a few weeks, and maybe even set my equipment back up to actually hear it XD

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Initial impressions are that it is the sound that makes this library distinct. But I also feel there a few little issues that need to be addressed, and these have already been suggested to Fluffy by Reuben.
Purchase was simple, but for me downloading was a mess. Each file had to be downloaded separately, and no matter which browser I used on my Mac, failures occurred often, and the download had to be restarted. Things seemed to go more smoothly on a PC though. Also, when the files were extracted, I then had to create a Documentation folder for the manual and an Instrument folder for the choir patch. This is normally done automatically when un-raring a library. During a batch re-save, Kontakt couldn't find the Samples folder, so that required browsing to the correct "Dominus Samples" folder. As I played back words, I also noticed that last syllable seemed to swell more than what sounded natural to me. But reading the brief manual provided a tip, that if I released the keys just before the last syllable, the ending would be more along the lines of what I was hoping to hear.
The interface certainly is easy to navigate, and I do like many of the features that are provided. This library does seem to need a bit of effort to get everything sounding as I would like it to, but perhaps an update may address some concerns. In brief though, I'm enjoying the library very much, and feel it will work well, especially for pieces that are perhaps more moody or sombre. When everything is 'just right', the library sounds wonderful, and any effort that went into working with it seemed more than worth it. IMHO, definitely worth purchasing before the introductory price ends.
Frank E. Lancaster

Topic author
paoling

Post by paoling »

Hello Frank!
Thank you for your kind words on the library..!

I apologize for the download issues. We rely on Fastspring which uses the Amazon S3 Platform. Usually it's really fast, but in some cases (and randomly) it can be spotty for some countries. Other systems from other developers are based on same platform too, so it can be an occasional problem. A downloader might help, to just load the files and find them on your PC after a bit.

About the extraction we usually asks our user to use UNRARX, WinRAR or 7zip because on default they extract the libraries inn the right way. Other tools often don't support multipart rar (like stuffit or the unrachiver) and also they tend to create very strange folder structures.
We have to make a video to show accurately how to extract the libraries, but some info can be found on our FAQ page.
https://fluffyaudio.com/faq/

Basically you should have just the patch files in a folder and the samples files in a subfolder of it, let's say Dominus Choir Samples folder.

So the file structure is

MAIN FOLDER \ Dominus Choir Samples <- THIS IS A FOLDER :-)
MAIN FOLDER \ Dominus Choir.nki
MAIN FOLDER \ Dominus Choir.nkr
MAIN FOLDER \ Dominus Choir.nkc
MAIN FOLDER \ Quick Reference Manual.pdf

So you won't have any missing file. With a common Windows extractor you just can right click on the patch named rar file and the first of the samples.part1 files and select Extract Here. With UnRarX you can just open those files (or drag them into UNRARX window) and they will be automatically extracted.

It seems clumsy but this procedure is the very same for all our products and a lot of other products from different developers. We considered alternative easier solutions, but at the moment, neither seems ideal for us (we risk just to end with other different problems).

So maybe a video would be helpful.

About the library, I don't precisely understand your issue. If you get releases that are longer than wanted on the last syllable, it's possible that one of more of the keys are not released at the same time. This is done, because we want that for example the release S of DOMINUS would be heard when you release all the keys, but also that if you move an entire chord to another position on the last U you get a legato transition to the new notes. This behaviour can be adjusted by lowering the release / legato knob, but in general if you have recorded a sweet midi part, you can fix this by making the ending part of the released notes a bit more coincident with editing (like in a 300 ms timeframe), or be more "precise" when releasing a chordal part.

I realize that this may not be an ideal workflow for everyone and I'll look into this further to come up with a better solution (I have one in mind but I have to test it). We have something in mind for this library. I hate to promise things, but I enjoyed so much working on it and it has been having so warmly welcomed that it will be nice to add some useful things soon. We tried to stay simple, because the simpler it is the more "magic" it feels, to me :-)

playz123

Post by playz123 »

And thank you for the detailed response. Actually, I am extremely familiar with downloading and using UnRarX and WinRar etc., and have downloaded a wide variety of libraries over a period of many years. That's why I mentioned the problems with this one...because unusual things happened. And as for the file structure you listed...that's exactly how mine looked originally. But it seems to me that nearly every Kontakt library I own has a main folder and within are at least three subfolders...Documentation, Instruments and Samples. With your library there were no folders for the instrument or the manual, so I simple made them. Minor things I agree, but I felt it might be useful to mention them in case others were wondering as well. I did not have any missing files, and once I finally was able to download all the files, everything was as described after that. Because I understood the process, it was easy to make adjustments when required.
It wasn't the releases on the last syllable that I was discussing, it was the swell and volume that seemed to sound strange in some instances. I worked with the choir all afternoon today, and am discovering ways to get close to what I want, but initially I realized I had to do some tweaking in some instances. Keeping it simple was a great idea...and very much appreciated. :) And as long as it doesn't affect one's ability to produce suitable results, it's a time saver.
In any case, I am enjoying working with the library and am finding ways to achieve the results I want, so am quite happy with my purchase. Thanks again for the information you offered. Cheers.
Frank E. Lancaster

Topic author
paoling

Post by paoling »

Thank you Frank!

Two things: we made a walkthrough video for the Engine:

And that the intro price ends tomorrow, October 10th. On our website you can also see a video by Hagai Davidoff playing Dominus in realtime on a breath controller, very cool! (we finally have a video in SampleModeling/SWAM style :D)

MWP

Post by MWP »

I tried to download Dominus Choir and no rar files appeared:

Dominus Choir Sample (folder containing nkc and nks files only)
Dominus Choir - 1.2 nks
Dominus Choir -1.2 nkr
Cominus Choir - Version 1.2 nki
Manual (folder)

Can anybody help please? I have emailed both Fluffy and Pulse but had no response.

Many thanks