There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

UVI Falcon: 30% off, 2 free expansions and $100 of UVI libraries

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

UVI Falcon: 30% off, 2 free expansions and $100 of UVI libraries

Post by Guy Rowland »

So that's 244 Euros. Undeniably a good deal, it looks incredibly impressive and has a good reputation - lots of threads here of happy campers - but I still can't imagine I need it. Anyone fancy convincing me that, in fact, I do?

https://www.uvi.net/falcon

Sale til October 15th.

wst3

Re: UVI Falcon: 30% off, 2 free expansions and $100 of UVI libraries

Post by wst3 »

I'm right there with you on this one - it looks cool, lots of folks like it a lot, and yet I just can't build up the head of steam necessary to make the investment, not so much financial as temporal.

So I'll be watching!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

wst3 wrote:...not so much financial as temporal.
Oh lord yes.

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

I would but..................I can't because I already have it and a few of the expansions.
You know I'm a man of few words (unless I'm in a bad mood) so don't ask me to explain why it's worth it.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

At Audiodeluxe it is even cheaper, 177 Euros. Without the expansions but still tempting...

Damn, real tempting...

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Have it, but rarely use it.

Don't know if this helps you.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Falcon is a genius tool for sound design. Watch through Dan Worrall's videos, and if that doesn't have you nodding or loosening your jaw a bit, it's probably not up your alley.

My advice would be not to look at it as a replacement to Kontakt. It's an adjunct. A really, REALLY powerful adjunct, with much better (and more) FX, better and more flexible modulation, OSC support, additional synthesis options along with sample playback (virtual analog, FM, plucked instrument physical modeling) and some nifty IRCAM algorithms for timestretching... It's a powerhouse of a different breed.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Mario, could you point to 1 (one) video of Dan's that shows it at its most unique? I do some sound design of this kind, but it's pretty marginal... if I saw a WOW video of something incredible thats achievable comprehensibly (i.e. the learning curve wouldn't be too extreme), it might tip me.

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Honestly, can't really point to just one video... I guess see Advanced Modulation, Advanced Synthesis 1 and 2 videos, and perhaps also Advanced Effects video from the UVI Falcon playlist...

I'd say it'd do you good to watch all of the tutorials as they really cover a lot, and not that much at the same time (Falcon is DEEP). I would liken it to Omnisphere where you can do your own multisampling, except it does some more things Omni just doesn't (IRCAM algos, sliced loops, dedicated 4-op FM and physmod, plus it's not limited to two parts/layers/however you wanna call them per patch). Oh, and scripting. There are some nifty scripts in there, including MPE support. It's a bottomless synthesis pit.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

It looks wonderful, and very clever. But as it went on, I started to hear this:

For me, it's a pass. The tools I have are incredibly deep, and I'm on the road to getting something out of them. I think this would just slow my journey but adding another bottomless pit...

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Guy Rowland wrote:It looks wonderful, and very clever. But as it went on, I started to hear this:

For me, it's a pass. The tools I have are incredibly deep, and I'm on the road to getting something out of them. I think this would just slow my journey but adding another bottomless pit...
Thanks Guy! I want the "Retro Encabulator", does in come in a Kontakt player version? ;)

I agree with you on this. Too many deep synths to explore already.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I sorta feel bad posting that video (though it's my favourite on the internet) - it's my age talking. I really don't want to have to learn any new DAWs (unless they are impeccably designed), and I've found that goes for synths. I really am far better to keep learning the tools I have, but in no way does that mean I'm critical of Falcon as a product (oh, except their logo... how have they not been sued by NI re the similarities with Kontakt's?!). How many watching Dan's videos will get anywhere near his mastery of the product, and be able to pull off the tricks he apparently does so effortlessly? In a similar spirit I posted this yesterday on KVR's Avenger thread, full of people complaining that it couldn't do this or that wildly esoteric function:
I want to modulate a sine wave with the partials of an FM sync in harmonic shift mode, matrixed with a granular texture map onto the x axis of the target layer's third envelope but the y axis of the wavetable's inverted deviation from the subharmonic ring modulator. Why no Avenger do this?

Raymond_Kemp

Post by Raymond_Kemp »

Guy Rowland wrote:I sorta feel bad posting that video (though it's my favourite on the internet) - it's my age talking. I really don't want to have to learn any new DAWs (unless they are impeccably designed), and I've found that goes for synths. I really am far better to keep learning the tools I have, but in no way does that mean I'm critical of Falcon as a product (oh, except their logo... how have they not been sued by NI re the similarities with Kontakt's?!). How many watching Dan's videos will get anywhere near his mastery of the product, and be able to pull off the tricks he apparently does so effortlessly? In a similar spirit I posted this yesterday on KVR's Avenger thread, full of people complaining that it couldn't do this or that wildly esoteric function:
I want to modulate a sine wave with the partials of an FM sync in harmonic shift mode, matrixed with a granular texture map onto the x axis of the target layer's third envelope but the y axis of the wavetable's inverted deviation from the subharmonic ring modulator. Why no Avenger do this?
No problems here. I managed it on my Diana rig :)