There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

In Session Audio: Shimmer, Shake and Strike

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
kpc

In Session Audio: Shimmer, Shake and Strike

Post by kpc »

A new percussion library from In Session Audio. You may remember Shimmer and Shake from 9 Volt Audio - this is the same developer but all new samples, a completely new interface and some cool additions. I am pretty excited about this library - I can see a lot of uses for it.

I should mention that I know Kyle personally and have done some testing for him - though not with this product. I invited Kyle to TSB - Hopefully he will show up when he gets some time as he is a really nice guy and has some interesting stuff going on.

From the website:
Shimmer Shake Strike is a one-stop-shop for all your “top of mix” percussion needs.
This sample library of tambourines, shakers and small hand percussion allows you to create and control the sound of realistic, human performances with ease.

Useful to almost every genre of music, Shimmer Shake Strike will be a library that you will use over and over for years to come.

edit: Moved to the Front Page
- kayle

chillbot

Re: In Session Audio: Shimmer, Shake and Strike

Post by chillbot »

I own every product made by Nine Volt Audio and probably 90% of In Session Audio products. All good stuff. I don't know Kyle personally but via email he's always been very cool to me.

I have to wonder though... at $100 how much of this is worth it since I already own Shimmer & Shake? Some of it sounds really similar/familiar... perhaps there could be a crossgrade discount?

Also the marketing seems a bit off to me on this one... you get a free "expansion" pack valued at $40 but it says it is not possible to add the expansion pack at a later time. That seems like it goes against the definition of an expansion pack? How can it be valued at $40 if you can't actually buy it later? I'm kind of on the fence on this one, I'm sure it would be useful, but...

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I too like Kyle, and I was sad to see NVA's demise. This looks very well conceived, but.... here's the thing. I really didn't like the original Shimmer and Shake at all, it's one of the few products I've paid good money for that I don't think I've used once. The reason is that when I had it under my fingers, I just didn't like the sounds. Time and again, I'd start with S&S and then just revert to those limited Stylus loops, because the loops had so much more character, I much preferred the tone, and although limited there was a good variety.

So this time, I'd like to hear the range of Tambourines in particular before I buy, and what (if any) tweaks you can make to the sound itself.

Topic author
kpc

Post by kpc »

chillbot wrote:...Also the marketing seems a bit off to me on this one... you get a free "expansion" pack valued at $40 but it says it is not possible to add the expansion pack at a later time. That seems like it goes against the definition of an expansion pack? How can it be valued at $40 if you can't actually buy it later? I'm kind of on the fence on this one, I'm sure it would be useful, but...
I saw this as well - I am going to call him and ask about this, because I agree that it isn't really an expansion pack if it can't be added later. I'll let you know what he says.
Guy Rowland wrote:I too like Kyle, and I was sad to see NVA's demise. This looks very well conceived, but.... here's the thing. I really didn't like the original Shimmer and Shake at all, it's one of the few products I've paid good money for that I don't think I've used once. The reason is that when I had it under my fingers, I just didn't like the sounds. Time and again, I'd start with S&S and then just revert to those limited Stylus loops, because the loops had so much more character, I much preferred the tone, and although limited there was a good variety.
So this time, I'd like to hear the range of Tambourines in particular before I buy, and what (if any) tweaks you can make to the sound itself.
I remember you saying this before Guy. I am planning on getting a copy and maybe I can do a "Guy-Style" Walkthrough (although not nearly as well polished and professional as yours!) Once I get it - I'll be happy to give you more info and try to demo some things for you.
- kayle

chillbot

Post by chillbot »

Yes the original was a bit too mechanical... but I still used it a lot. You don't need much of it. It's incredible how much shakers will cut through on TV tracks. Like even with the stylus shakers (which I use in pretty much every track ever, even still) I typically have whichever stylus output the shaker is coming out set to about -24db. A little bit of shaker goes a long way....

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Those Stylus perc loops are incredibly useful to this day, as is a lot of the rest of Stylus.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
kpc

Post by kpc »

I just spoke with Kyle. He conceded that perhaps "expansion" was the wrong term to use in that it is really more a case of two editions: Regular and Extra Large. There are no plans for further expansions (as I was hoping for) because of the technical side of things involving Kontakt. He said that while technically could be done (to add additional packs) it is quite an involved process both on his end and on the end user's end to update and frankly he is choosing to not support it.

I am getting a copy of it this week and I will do a walk through video as I learn it.
- kayle

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

If anyone has more questions about the product, shoot. Answers right from the horse's mouth over here. :)
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Mario, thanks - is there a way of listening to all the tambourines in action?

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

I thought if anyone has questions regarding how stuff operates, and so on. :)

But here you go with a quick 2-bar runthrough through all 10 available tambourines (no FX, fully dry):

https://app.box.com/s/w1t7mqoliupzor1pdfc2de6y8iyb7yf0
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ah, you are a hero Mario, thank you. I do think that's a massively better set than were in the old version, so I've raised my Interested In Buying status to Defcon 2.

byzantium

Post by byzantium »

Succumbed to the extended version of this at €86 yesterday (looks like that offer still available) but won't be able to use it for a few months. Hope it works out.