There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Strezov Afflatus Series

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

The Saxer

Re: Strezov Afflatus Series

Post by The Saxer »

Sorry to hear about your experience with asocial media, Chris. I was looking forward to watch your video (I saw the first five minutes but had to leave that day) but finally missed it. I bought Afflatus anyway.

Thorsten Meyer

Post by Thorsten Meyer »

Full Review here:
Afflatus Chapter I Strings by STREZOV Review
By Cory Pelizzari - Friday, 16 November 2018
https://www.strongmocha.com/2018/11/16/ ... ov-review/

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

...and here comes v1.2:

It includes:

First Chairs (including Double Bass) with Portamento (no portamento for bass)
Minimalist Basses
Scene D'Amour Celli legato
Arrival Strings
Spider Strings

And I see I'd kind of missed 1.1 which added Sordinos and some general features, including ADSR control. Piet, has that helped some of your concerns with scuplting or is it too blunt an instrument? Also I was re-reading your post earlier, and wanted to ask you about this:
Piet De Ridder wrote: Nov 12, 2018 3:53 am...brings me to another serious problem, and that is the strong ensemble-oriented concept of Afflatus. While this has a number of advantages and conveniences, there’s one major problem and that is that you’re stuck with how the 4 sections of the string orchestra are spread out over the ensemble. Wouldn’t be a problem if all of the ensemble articulations were also available for the individual sections, but they aren’t. So if you want to play, say, a cello part with the ‘Contemporary Strings’, everytime you venture into basses or violas territory, these two sections will join in as well, no matter whether that is what you want or not. And again: there’s nothing you can do about this.

Especially for those who take their orchestration technique seriously and want to adhere to the established principles of orchestration in their writing, these ‘hard-wired’ ensembles will quicky prove something of a disappointment.
I'm not sure I entirely follow this - there's individual instruments right? Are you saying the range is very limited?

Love the Scene d'Amour cellos in the video in particular. The spiccs seemed very different between the violin and cello though.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Guy,

There is only a small overlap between what's available in the ensembles and what's available in the individual sections. Which means that if you happen to like a particular articulation among the ensembles, that ensemble patch is all you have to work with, because you won't find the same articulation in the sections. Not always a problem, but sometimes it is.

Version 1.1 was a good update (greatly increasing the control one has over how the library responds). Version 1.2 looks impressive too.

__

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ah I got you now. Thank Piet - keep us posted on how things develop.