There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cubase 10 released [10.0.20 update]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

heisenberg

Re: Cubase 10 released

Post by heisenberg »

Guy Rowland wrote: Nov 18, 2018 3:49 amThe only thing I've found there is that reverb tails are an issue. If you go beyond the bounds of the original recording, it doesn't seem to work. I tried duplicating and muting a file that I appended and then glued, but the tail still chopped off at the end of the original file - I had to render in place, creating another new track, to do that cleanly.
That is odd. It worked before. Are you talking both MIDI and audio tracks?

What I have done when using esoteric reverbs like Blackhole on an electric piano, I have extended the default tail in the preferences to some absurd amount and then rendered to audio. Last week I was generating a layered texture that had the sound of a modulating electrical field over it with NI's ScannerXT. The only way I could render the synthesis out accurately was to render it out in real-time. Also with UVI's Plate, I found a similar thing, that rendering out the file in real-time would give an accurate rendition of the reverb. And I am speaking about doing an export of the track, not doing a render-in-place. I must revisit that to see if I am missing a step or a process. Mentioning it in the event a portion of my workflow on a similar issue may help out.

DOP or Direct Offline Processing in its current form has been in Nuendo since the current version 8.x. It, for me, has been incredibly inconsistent with plugins. I have tried to avoid it like I do with any function that doesn't work as it should like VCAs in Nuendo.
Andrew Stone

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

For clarity, I tested it on an audio record. Will try it on an instrument track, hopefully that will work fuss-free.

woodsdenis

Post by woodsdenis »

Updated from 9.5, no issues here.
Thanks, Denis

Cubase 10.5, Live 10, Mac Pro 10.14.6

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Discovered a nasty little gotcha in 10. This may also be true of C9.5 too, which I skipped.

In C9 and earlier, you could apply any effect to an audio file and render it. Direct Offline Processing is a slicker version of this, and I've just discovered is actually not an optional addition, but a compulsory replacement. "So what" you might think, but the problem is that DOP does not work on all plugins, particularly those that are uniquely designed to be used offline, such as iZotope's Connect, which throws the audio back and forth between the DAW and the iZotope editor. I can't see how that can ever work in DOP, and indeed there are multiple reports of people being unable to make it work - https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 3&t=147627 . So that has broken a really important bit of functionality.

Unless I'm missing something here?!

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

you know this is the second time I was curious about Cubase, and theres no demo available lol.

the first time I took the plunge it didn't work out for me, both because it was insanely akward and something as simple as importing a midi with tempo/time signature changes - wouldn't work correctly... I realize now that it's more or less what to expect from a new release from Cubase, but still - no demo, and im not dropping another 500+ to try the program... lol.

I mean it's largely for comparison sake - just also experimenting with different workflows might augment the way I use reaper anyways

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

The Cubase demo is always out several weeks after the main release, for fairly obvious reasons I guess - .0 is usually a mess and certainly is in this case. Should be out either this month or Jan.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

weird they wouldn't leave the 9.5 or previous demos up lol

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Welll... not really, they don't sell 9.5 any more so not much point in people demoing it!

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

Seems to be working fine over here.

But why do they keep changing the GUI? Why change old important icons? It’s visually a little awkward at first.

But I am sure, I will get on with it!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, broadly the UI I could care less about.

Incidentally, very cautiously optimistic news on the multi-year Track Archive / Disabled Audio bug. Mathias Quellman from Steinberg publicly committed to getting it sorted a few weeks ago and apologised for it taking as long as it has. I've been in touch with someone else in the chain who has been able to reproduce it on their machine, and one of the programmers has started to properly investigate. They seen very motivated to get it sorted now - I suspect it will take a while, but I'm daring to hope.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

well im downloaded the demo last night(got the email yesterday) but cant seem to figure out how to get pro(I believe it downloaded elements)

I suppose workflow wouldn't be significantly different in either - so I guess it's all the same

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

There’s two different downloads IIRC.

But yes, basic workflow identical, just more features and less track limits in Pro.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

oddly, it seems to direct you to the elements, and isn't quite clear on how to get the pro key

but I got it activating now

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Huh - you're right. It was there yesterday, and there is still a page for the different trials here - https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... sions.html - but they don't go to anywhere where you can download Pro any more.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

We both missed it, Kyle. Pro is here - https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... ubase.html - but it's very confusingly worded. The 2nd link at the bottom that looks like it's something to do with elicenser - that's Cubase Pro. But yes, you do need a physical eLicenser to road test it.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

ohh I had gotten the pro key, but its weird that I get an email to test pro - and then when you click it, it just says "try Cubase" essentially and then gives you an elements key. The bottom looks more like a "reminder" but both gave me keys to put on my e-licenser, so im not sure elements is any different(though I could be wrong)

all in all, I ended up with both trials running, although I only downloaded the pro client. I put that up more or less to warn others attempting to trial it, that you might have to poke around a little to get the pro key sent to you(or atleast be aware if you're running essentials.

I'll dive a little deeper when I have time this January, I still need to start from scratch on building a template in reaper, and this time im just doing every single articulation per track and freezing them(which requires manually routing microphones)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

10.20 is out, quite a lot of new features and big fixes including my own personal nemesis - CAN13042! Yes, after all these years, multi-out Track Archives and Disabled Tracks finally work. Who'd have thought? Existing stuff is likely to still be corrupt, but anything newly made should be solid.

Full release notes here - http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... istory.pdf

playz123

Re: Cubase 10 released [10.0.20 update]

Post by playz123 »

But why has the "Set up Colors" option in the Colorize pop-up been moved to Project > Project Colors Setup? Just extra clicking if one wishes to customize a color. Do like the option to choose color by name though.
And why does this web site want me to spell "colour" as "color"? (I know, I know...just kidding!) :)
Frank E. Lancaster

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

So Guy-the only thing you have left to create a perfect setup is enabling. instrument in VEP upon receipt of MIDI, correct?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Apr 18, 2019 4:32 pm So Guy-the only thing you have left to create a perfect setup is enabling. instrument in VEP upon receipt of MIDI, correct?
Well let's not get carried away...

In fact, while Wake On Midi would be dead good in VE Pro, I'm perfectly happy with pressing a button to enable. The main thing really is just to speed up the set up of it. I do still get full deflection noise blasts when enabling sometimes, but the signal protector in Nugen SigMod deals with that. In terms of all the basics I genuinely am happier than at any time since I started this whole malarkey. I'm pretty much in love with collapsed and disabled VE Pro.

Back to Cubase - I'd love better efficiency. Bounce to video... dunno, loads of little things really....

lucor

Post by lucor »

Guy Rowland wrote: Apr 18, 2019 11:00 am 10.20 is out, quite a lot of new features and big fixes including my own personal nemesis - CAN13042! Yes, after all these years, multi-out Track Archives and Disabled Tracks finally work. Who'd have thought? Existing stuff is likely to still be corrupt, but anything newly made should be solid.

Full release notes here - http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... istory.pdf
Finally came around to try this out, but once again got frustrated because this still seems to be broken? The outputs themselves seem to finally recall correctly, but now their routing resets everytime the project gets reopened. Here's what I'm doing:
1. Load up a Strings patch and individually route the 4 mics (First Chair, Close, Decca, Wide) to their own outputs.
2. Route these outputs to 4 busses for the whole library.
3. Deactivate the tracks and close the project.
4. Reopen the project and reactivate one of the tracks. They are no longer routed to the mic busses but instead go to the Stereo Out.

Is this happening to anyone else? I'm really sick of Cubase and it's bugs that don't get fixed for years and years. :yawn:
23-04-_2020_19-48-04.png

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

It did come back for 10.5 which was really depressing I agree, and then it went away again much more recently... if its not in the most recent release of 10.5, it is imminent.

lucor

Post by lucor »

Thanks Guy, good to hear. I might try it again then, though I really don't want to spend time on things that seem to be in constant danger of getting broken again with new updates.
Back to REAPER I go, I guess...