There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Toontrack announce 4 new products [May update: Orchestral Percussion SDX out now]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Toontrack announce 4 new products [May update: Orchestral Percussion SDX out now]

Post by Guy Rowland »

EZ Bass

Revolutionary new bass software instrument
Combining the use of MIDI and smart songwriting features
Building on the framework of Toontrack’s widely successful EZ Line products, such as EZdrummer 2
A sample engine optimized for use with bass samples, offering a new level of nuance and detail
Presets for a wide range of styles, based on amp and cab simulation as well as on the same complex network of effects used in all EZ Line products

Tentative release: Q4 2019

Orchestral Percussion EZX

More than 100 individual instruments
Recorded at the same studio as the Superior Drummer 3 core sound library
A complete immersive experience
Playback in stereo up to 11-channel surround systems
Sampled with extreme attention to detail and articulation
Optional tools available for selected instruments
Included MIDI for single instrument patterns as well as ensemble variations
Presets with corresponding MIDI examples

Tentative release: Q2 2019

Decades SDX with Al Schmitt

Produced by 23-time Grammy Award-winning engineer/mixer Al Schmitt
Recorded at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, CA
Five (5) kits (Slingerland, Pearl, Yamaha, Ludwig, Leedy)
12 snares, nine (9) kicks as well as a broad collection of hi-hats and cymbals
Includes several iconic original instruments, like the original snare drum used by Jeff Porcaro on Toto’s “Rosanna” as well as Steve Ferrone’s personal drum kit
Brushes and/or mallets available on select kits/instruments
Drums from the 1920s through the late 1990s
Recorded with an additional seven room microphones for playback in stereo up to 9.1 systems

Pop Punk EZX

Produced/engineered by John Feldmann (Good Charlotte, Blink-182, 5 Seconds of Summer)
Recorded at Feldmann’s personal studio
Three (3) full kits (SJC Custom and Tour series, Orange County D&P)
Mixed using samples from John’s personal collection
Seven (7) snare variations, four (4) kicks and 12 cymbals
A broad selection of presets

Tentative release: Q1 2019

soundbylaura

Re: Toontrack announce 4 new products

Post by soundbylaura »

Sadly (for me), that Orchestral Percussion is an SDX, not an EZX. I'd definitely get it if it were the latter.
Be an upstander.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

In the past they’ve released some slimmed down EZXs based on SDXs, so could yet happen in the fullness of time Laura.

catsass

Post by catsass »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 26, 2019 1:55 pm
EZ Bass
Revolutionary new bass software instrument
Combining the use of MIDI and smart songwriting features
Building on the framework of Toontrack’s widely successful EZ Line products, such as EZdrummer 2
A sample engine optimized for use with bass samples, offering a new level of nuance and detail
Presets for a wide range of styles, based on amp and cab simulation as well as on the same complex network of effects used in all EZ Line products

I'm interested to see how well this revolutionary new bass software instrument stacks up against IKM's Modo Bass.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I too am curious... the only "intelligent" instrument I've had any success with is Rayzoon Jamstix (now on version 4). It just works, it won't replace a live drummer, but it does a much better job than I can do playing parts in from the keyboard. OK, not entirely accurate - I will often play parts in, either from the piano keyboard or an ancient PAD8, and then let Jamstix clean it up. Although I have, at times, allowed it to do all the work, and that has turned out well too.

At one point they were talking about applying the same ideas to a virtual bass player. That hasn't happened yet. I wonder if it ever will.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Some meat on the bones on the Orchestral Percussion SDX, out in May:

More than 100 individual instruments
Recorded at the same studio as the Superior Drummer 3 core sound library
A complete immersive experience
Playback in stereo up to 11-channel surround systems
Sampled with extreme attention to detail and articulation
Optional tools available for selected instruments
Includes a comprehensive selection of MIDI
Configured as a two SDXs
https://www.toontrack.com/orchestral-pe ... ouncement/

2 demos are up on the website. Sounds pretty good to me, but those strings are awful.

Lawrence

Re: Toontrack announce 4 new products [March update: Orchestral Percussion SDX]

Post by Lawrence »

Have you ever mixed anything in 11 channel surround, Guy?

For that matter (OT, I know, I know), in the work you do, have you done much 5.1 or 7.1 surround?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: Toontrack announce 4 new products [March update: Orchestral Percussion SDX]

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Mar 08, 2019 11:47 pm Have you ever mixed anything in 11 channel surround, Guy?

For that matter (OT, I know, I know), in the work you do, have you done much 5.1 or 7.1 surround?
Never Larry. I seem to be stuck in Stereoville.

I’ll confess I never even downloaded or installed the surround mics for SD3.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Guy Rowland wrote: Mar 08, 2019 8:24 pm Some meat on the bones on the Orchestral Percussion SDX, out in May<snip>

2 demos are up on the website. Sounds pretty good to me, but those strings are awful.
I am really pleased with Superior3, my only gripe is that I've lost easy access to my Superior 1 libraries, and must keep Superior 2 installed to use them. I think that was a poor choice.

The whole buy it now or we start killing puppies strategy will also remain a memory, it was heavy handed, and I don't appreciate heavy handed. That said, I do sort of regret not jumping in sooner, the UI is fantastic, and the sounds are even better. (I haven't played with the surround stuff yet either, but I will.)

All this to say that I hope those demos were rushed out the door. They are both muddy, a function of the composition, orchestration, or production, maybe poor conversion to compressed audio. If that's the library contributing the mud it would be a pity.

They are still months away from the announced release, and probably a little but further from the actual release, so these could just be sloppy demos. I will await better demos...

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: Toontrack announce 4 new products [May update: Orchestral Percussion SDX out now]

Post by Guy Rowland »

Out now, 209 Euros, lower from resellers I think. Demos on the website - https://www.toontrack.com/product/orche ... ussion-sdx . Always nice to have stuff in their engine, but sonically I don't really hear anything groundbreaking... anyone else?

KyleJudkins

Re: Toontrack announce 4 new products [May update: Orchestral Percussion SDX out now]

Post by KyleJudkins »

I cant tell how the tubulars were sampled/rrs/layers/anything. I can't imagine they would have been proud of the sampling of it - because they would be bragging about it more if they did.

the timpani in the video showed 3 pitches, so I'm guessing it's 3 semi tones per timpani(which doesn't line up with what recorded range, but they should really showcase these instruments better)

I can't help but feel like the new meta for sales is to have as little demos as possible on a launch to get people to take a chance on something they would pass up on XD

I'll try to look more tomorrow now that I'm at my house(and not on the phone).

After having seen a good bit - I'm still intrigued, Would probably pair really well with synchron to patch up missing pieces to my ears. I might consider it purely for the sake of me being able to map it easier to my v drums.

edit: realized it was cheaper on time+space(I guess reading threads would have alerted me to that) and I had loyalty points so I snagged it for 234$

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

Hey Kyle,

How did the installation go? Do you have Superior Drummer SDX3?

Thanks,

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

installation was easy, not different than installing anything else.

I have most of the SDX from the SD2 era - SD3, and now this. so far it's actually pretty great. I might have to supplement my pitched percussion with synchron haha.

I do wish there was an easier way to switch between mallets though. it still has some of that build up(I think it's from the neve? it's the same papery-ness that I hear in all the SF orchestral stuff) it's just not as pronounced. It also feels like it has a bit too much fidelity - which is an odd comment to make , but that's the best way to describe it. (something I only previously only thought about synchron percussion)

the tubular bells are enjoyable(but only one mallet). The drums feel much more natural when it comes to more complicated rhyrhms - really capturing reaaaallly quiet dynamics. Being able to play my own crescendos/swells/"padding" with timpani/bass drum is awesome. And ofcourse being able to set the ringout/muting how you'd like it is awesome as well.

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

Thanks Kyle!

I love the ambience & surround channels on SD3. The walkthru reveals that with this also. However the lack of RR's really shows and takes me out of the moment. I sorta feel that I'd spend a lot of time programming around that every time I'd want repeated notes.

I do really like the Groove capabilities in it. Very useful, just as in SD3. That's a great plus with their new GUI. But that same GUI seems like it would be a little problematical for media composers. It was originally conceived to work in the pop/rock genre.

I'm still a little on the fence with this one at the moment.

Stixman

Post by Stixman »

Timespace sent me a £15 off code which i gladly used to purchase this SDX.....3 gbs left to download...itching to get on the kit and try this out....

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I don't I think there is a lack of round Robins, but on the demo they love the whole percussion section was very limited layers so that the ram was not outrageous

The tubular bells for instance when you remove the limits I probably had five microphones loaded and only the Tubular Bells and I was sitting at 2.6 GB

It probably has more layers and Dynamics then even Berlin percussion at least on that one instrument

Unlike the demos I noticed 0 machine gunning because I turned off all of the layer limits

Stixman

Post by Stixman »

What a fantastic experience playing this library.....Absolutely blown away!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Tell us more Stixman. I was a little swayed by the T&S deal myself, love Toontrack, like being able to use the SD3 engine, but... I feel RIDICULOUSLY over-covered for orchestral percussion in particular. CinePerc, LADD, HZ01, EWQL SO, DOW 1, Action Strikes, EWQL SD1, EWQL SD2, Epic Dohl... I'd told myself absolutely no more orchestral percussion. I've no doubt OP is wonderful, but can you isolate any particular aspect that is something appreciably a step up from anything else?

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I'm sharing a boat with Guy - mine is a little smaller, read I don't have all those percussion libraries, but It has been a long time since I've thought "gee, I need another percussion library!".

Flip side, after procrastinating for the entire year I am enjoying SD3 immensely. I didn't enjoy the strong arm tactic (my perception) and I'm still a little irked that I can't import the drums from SD1, but overall they have improved the experience and the sound.

At $250 it was definitely wait for a sale, at $175 it is much more likely, but I am going to be a tad conservative this time and wait for user reviews (and hope no one discovers the lower pricing is a mistake<G>!) I don't have any projects that require this sort of percussion so it is a luxury to be able to wait.

If I could move the majority of my percussion needs into SD3 I think that would be lovely.

Stixman

Post by Stixman »

I feel right in the middle of the orchestra pit....never experienced anything like it vi wise...,..i've only tried the close mics so far but they are great....the Hall is fantastic...slotted into the trailer track i'm currently nearing completion seamlessly..alongside Strikeforce..... response on vdrum pads is really really great!...btw i have and like LADD. Storm drum 3.Strikeforce.Action strikes.Epic Dohl solo. the Arks 1-3 Albion 1 &One.and quite a few more.
This vi puts the drummer in the driving seat of the Orchestra dare i say game changer for me things will never be the same...i'm made up.
anything you particularly want to hear?
Guy Rowland wrote: May 11, 2019 8:36 am Tell us more Stixman. I was a little swayed by the T&S deal myself, love Toontrack, like being able to use the SD3 engine, but... I feel RIDICULOUSLY over-covered for orchestral percussion in particular. CinePerc, LADD, HZ01, EWQL SO, DOW 1, Action Strikes, EWQL SD1, EWQL SD2, Epic Dohl... I'd told myself absolutely no more orchestral percussion. I've no doubt OP is wonderful, but can you isolate any particular aspect that is something appreciably a step up from anything else?

wst3

Post by wst3 »

What I (or my checkbook) really wanted to hear was that it was AWFUL! I didn't expect that...

I'm teetering on the brink. I wish there were a few more demos... but I've yet to purchase anything from them (since DFH for GS) from which I did not get my money's worth, and then some.

What to do...

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Stixman - I guess I'd ask for an example of what you've found to be the most exciting sonicaly compared to that great set of other libraries you have, the one that most clearly demonstrates where this SDX goes somewhere new.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Dammit - this does seem pretty damn good. The sheer variety of articulations and mallets / sticks etc...

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Finally had the opportunity to spend some quality time with the Orchestral Percussion SDX last night (my own fault, I let several Toontrack products go so updates took quite a while - to my credit I had the patience to update everything while downloading and installing the SDX. Also had to juggle some libraries to make space - time for a new and/or bigger SSD!)

Anyway, it really is very nice. Something about a player that is designed from the ground up for percussion I think? I'm not sure how much of a factor that might be, but it is part of the experience.

The sounds are really well recorded in both libraries. Some of the mapping does not fit my workflow, but that is easily resolved. And some of the cymbals are one the too-bright side for me, also easily resolved. One surprise, although in hind sight maybe inevitable, is the lack of any kind of demo sequences, most of the included MIDI is for single instruments, and not terribly interesting or useful. And the Thunder Sheet seems very 1 dimensional, I'm probably missing something - time to read the manual?Lastly, I thought the bass drum and Taikos could have more impact. Might be my anemic monitors?

So far these are my biggest criticisms. It doesn't seem like I will be adding anything to that list.

Stand-outs last night include the tubular bells and the triangle, and all the gongs - they are pristine, and they are very difficult to record. I tip my hat! And pretty much the entire library 2. It is possible I may retire my percussion toys. Maybe not, they are fun to play.

The drums are also well recorded, and I really appreciate all the "rolls" articulations. It is so difficult to emulate that with MIDI, nice to have it built in.

Which brings up perspective or philosophy or whatever you want to call it. And I will admit my instant reaction was not entirely positive.

All of these instruments are recorded dry, neutral, not sure what the word is, but they don't get your blood boiling on the first strike. Most of my other percussion libraries are recorded or presented in such a way as to be quite dramatic. Which is their intent, and that to which I have become accustomed.

A quick trip to the mixer and I was creating mixes that were inspiring.

Which is probably my favorite "feature" thus far. This library can cover a lot of sonic territory. Which doesn't mean I'll abandon my other percussion libraries, but rather that they will become supplements more often.

And these drums blend quite naturally with some of my favorite smaller percussion libraries, 8Dio Antidrum and Rust and Epic Dohl, and so on. There was a little more "conflict" with larger libraries such as APE and Rhapsody - it would be so handy if these could be added to the Toontrack mixer... but that is unlikely.

All in all this is a very nice addition to my toolbox. I was concerned that I would be regretting the purchase, much as I was concerned when I finally upgraded to SD3. Unlike SD3 I didn't feel like there was a gun pointed in my direction, so that helps.

There were a few minutes of frustration during the install, and a moment or two of concern while first auditioning instruments, but both dissipated as I got deeper into the library. And the now almost familiar tool set is a nice match to the libraries, and the creation of a percussion track.

Thanks to all who persuaded me to make the leap.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

Re. the “rolls”, the video for them on the web site is most informative, and I actually spent close to half a day expanding on the suggestions and creating longer and more complex rolls involving multiple instruments. Can definitely recommend at least two or three other videos as well since they expand upon the basics when using other SDXs. More than happy with my purchase and the versatility, sound and performance of this product.
Frank E. Lancaster