There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Pro Tools reconfigures pricing

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Lawrence

Re: Pro Tools reconfigures pricing

Post by Lawrence »

But you wouldn’t send stems with mistakes on them, right?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Isn’t it our job to fix those with editing before we send them off?
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Ashermusic wrote: Jul 04, 2019 1:50 am Isn’t it our job to fix those with editing before we send them off?
And that's why you need to be open playlists from the sessions.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Daryl wrote: Jul 04, 2019 3:00 am [quote=Ashermusic post_id=50421 time=<a href="tel:1562219459">1562219459</a> user_id=157]
Isn’t it our job to fix those with editing before we send them off?
And that's why you need to be open playlists from the sessions.
[/quote]

I don’t know, I have always done it in Logic. Years ago AFTER fixing them in Logic I would bring them into PT to deliver a “built reel” but that was a long time ago.

I am sure that there’s something I am missing about all this but it doesn’t matter. If you feel you need that ability then you do.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Ashermusic wrote: Jul 04, 2019 8:28 am I am sure that there’s something I am missing about all this but it doesn’t matter. If you feel you need that ability then you do.
Well this is the workflow for us.

Demos done in whatever program
Stems bounced and put into Pro Tools session (not totally necessary, as could just be time stamped audio files instead)
Record in Pro Tools
Edit in Pro Tools
Mix in Pro Tools
Bounce stems from Pro Tools
Import into Sequoia
Master
Deliver

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Daryl wrote: Jul 04, 2019 11:50 am
Ashermusic wrote: Jul 04, 2019 8:28 am I am sure that there’s something I am missing about all this but it doesn’t matter. If you feel you need that ability then you do.
Well this is the workflow for us.

Demos done in whatever program
Stems bounced and put into Pro Tools session (not totally necessary, as could just be time stamped audio files instead)
Record in Pro Tools
Edit in Pro Tools
Mix in Pro Tools
Bounce stems from Pro Tools
Import into Sequoia
Master
Deliver
All fine, no problem with any of that but with the exception of mastering with Sequoia, because I am not a mastering engineer, there’s nothing there that I can’t do as well in Logic and I am pretty sure, at least as fast.

But I am not the workflow police so if it works for you and you are willing to deal with Avid’s shifting policies, well, in the immortal words of the late great Barry White, “Right on, right on.” 😀

www.jayasher.com

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Ashermusic wrote: Jul 04, 2019 12:11 pm All fine, no problem with any of that but with the exception of mastering with Sequoia, because I am not a mastering engineer, there’s nothing there that I can’t do as well in Logic and I am pretty sure, at least as fast.
The bit that really isn't possible in any useful way is getting the playlists out of Pro Tools to edit in another program. It's a real PITA.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Daryl wrote: Jul 04, 2019 12:19 pm
Ashermusic wrote: Jul 04, 2019 12:11 pm All fine, no problem with any of that but with the exception of mastering with Sequoia, because I am not a mastering engineer, there’s nothing there that I can’t do as well in Logic and I am pretty sure, at least as fast.
The bit that really isn't possible in any useful way is getting the playlists out of Pro Tools to edit in another program. It's a real PITA.

Again, if you have created good stems and/or mixes, I still don't get why a playlist is even necessary. Forgive me if I am being dense.

www.jayasher.com

lofi

Post by lofi »

If you work alone you might or might not need playlists.
But if you work with an orchestra you will always need playlists to be able to edit your material.
Sure you can sit with the recording engineer and take a day or two to edit your playlist so that your export is perfect.
BUT
at one point of another you will need those playlists.
Without knowing Daryl at all I’m guessing that he would spend his money elsewhere and not to pay extra to get someone else edit his playlists...
Best,
/A

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

lofi wrote: Jul 04, 2019 12:37 pm Without knowing Daryl at all I’m guessing that he would spend his money elsewhere and not to pay extra to get someone else edit his playlists...
Best,
/A
Hah, I wouldn't go near it. I have employees for that, but there is a huge amount of editing to be done, particularly as we record in stems, and everything has to work well together.

D

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Daryl wrote: Jul 04, 2019 12:40 pm
lofi wrote: Jul 04, 2019 12:37 pm Without knowing Daryl at all I’m guessing that he would spend his money elsewhere and not to pay extra to get someone else edit his playlists...
Best,
/A
Hah, I wouldn't go near it. I have employees for that, but there is a huge amount of editing to be done, particularly as we record in stems, and everything has to work well together.

D
Clearly you work at a level I never had the luxury of. Back in my heyday when I composed some TV series, movies of the week for NBC, low budget films, etc.I had a music editor but the MIDI was rendered before the orchestra dates and then mixed with the orchestra as it was recording,. There was little still to be done by then, other than the music editor working with the director/producers if they wanted to move or copy a cut to a different length and later on on low budget stuff, I learned to do that.

www.jayasher.com

lofi

Post by lofi »

Daryl wrote: Jul 04, 2019 12:40 pm
Best,
/A

D
Then I don’t see where the PITA is.
You can’t really record on anything less than a HDX system. Most have HDX2. And the new pricing only affects the “vanilla” users of protools.
Best,
/Anders

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Ashermusic wrote: Jul 04, 2019 12:47 pm
Clearly you work at a level I never had the luxury of.
It's not about level, it's about commercial reality. I need these recordings to make money for up to 20 years, and if they are no good enough, then they won't last very long.

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

lofi wrote: Jul 04, 2019 1:56 pm

/Anders
Getting the files out of Pro Tools and into another program. i think we're talking at cross purposes.

lofi

Post by lofi »

Daryl wrote: Jul 04, 2019 3:22 pm
lofi wrote: Jul 04, 2019 1:56 pm

/Anders
Getting the files out of Pro Tools and into another program. i think we're talking at cross purposes.
Ah, I see.
I thought you meant the new pricing.
My bad.

AAF exports works fine here, did that last week, from PT to Sequoia.
The old “mark all clips at the same position and press alt+shift+3” works for non AAF exports.
You can also print multiple stems at the same time, that is if you edit with plugins.
The new version coming soon will also give some nice features.

Best,
/Anders

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

lofi wrote: Jul 04, 2019 4:35 pm The new version coming soon will also give some nice features.

Best,
/Anders
Do tell..... :) I’m hoping for some good news after spending so much to update my perpetual support plan for several years...

lofi

Post by lofi »

X-bassist wrote: Jul 04, 2019 6:40 pm
lofi wrote: Jul 04, 2019 4:35 pm The new version coming soon will also give some nice features.

Best,
/Anders
Do tell..... :) I’m hoping for some good news after spending so much to update my perpetual support plan for several years...
Sorry I can’t really say more, but if you’re on a HDX system there will be some interesting new features.
/Anders
Edit This is on the front page .

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Just a heads up - it looks like its probably a retailer error, but Thomann are currently selling an annual update to the support plan for regular Pro Tools for 95 euros, which is old the price before the hike over the summer doubled it. I'll confess that bouyed by knowing this would all likely irritate Avid, I caved in - it would be handy to have an upcoming Catalina update before I stop these updates completely, as this regular second license lives on the MBP and I'll update the OS at some point.

NB - the image has an ESD badge on it which someone said is the Educational version (I didn't even clock it when I bought it), but a) there's no mention of this in the description, and b) it works. It updated my normal license fine even though I was a few days over.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/avid_pro_t ... #bewertung

I'd be quick if you''re interested, I doubt this will hang around without some kind of major correction.

soundbylaura

Post by soundbylaura »

ESD is Electronic Software Download, not EDU version.

Tempting. I'm paid through Dec 2021, though.
Be an upstander.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Ah good call on ESD Laura, that's one thing cleared up.

BTW, there's lot of rumours flying around the DUC that resellers have been telling people that after December 31st, there will be no possibility to reinstate from a lapsed subscription. Personally I'm not quite convinced by this - even for Avid this would be leaving it awfully late to drop that particular hydrogen bomb. At the risk of being a bit conspiracy-theorist (which I detest of course), perhaps a few rumours like this are planted knowingly by Avid, because a bit of fear at the big annual renewal time to entice waverers would't hurt them.

lofi

Post by lofi »

Guy Rowland wrote: Nov 26, 2019 6:01 pm ... December 31st, there will be no possibility to reinstate from a lapsed subscription. ...
Until theres a new chance, a limited final chance to reinstate.
After that there will one more chance. Just one... for a limited time.
And then the final, really we mean it, THE FINAL chance.
Until they give us one more etc.

I wouldn't worry.
Nice things coming though. New interfaces and all...
I'm loving the ilok cloud and the freedom that comes with it.
Also loving the software.

On a MTRX now.
Had to rethink my setup.
We've moved cities and I studio.
Now I got a big live room downstairs that I share with others.
One ethernet cable and I'm all set to record more channels than I have mics for.
Dante is the way to go.

Best,
Anders

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

To add to your point Anders, PT have reduced prices for their reinstatement plans for the remaining few weeks of this year. Regular Pro Tools was $299 and is now $199, Ultimate was $999 down to $599. https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... ember-2019

Needless to say, still not exactly cheap (especially for Ultimate), and it won't do much to quell the anger as it can only ever be a one-time deal. Some have asked if this can be banked - ie buy some insurance now and then use it in future, but my feeling is that in Avid-land it doesn't work that way. I think it has be to used quite quickly (in contrast to Steinberg where you can buy an upgrade any time and it will always update to the latest version when finally used).