There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

iZotope Ozone 9 released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

iZotope Ozone 9 released

Post by Guy Rowland »

Get clear and balanced lows with the Low End Focus module, fix and adjust instrument levels in real time with Master Rebalance, control Neutron, Nectar, and Relay plug-ins across your session with the improved Tonal Balance Control, and more.
Looks like a lot of tools will be more useful to remixers or for when you don't have access to the mix or stems. That said, the thing that most caught my eye was Match EQ as a plugin. This is invaluable in RX, but it is only an offline process. The tonal balance thing has been more useful than I expected, and pairing this with Relay could be pretty handy - might be worth putting relay on all the groups, then be able to flick round to hone down problem areas quite quickly.
Upgrade to the all-new Music Production Suite 3 to get Ozone 9 Advanced, plus new additions to the suite that give you more ways and more time to make your music sound great:

Exponential Audio reverbs: Create lush, ambient sounds with CPU-efficient stereo reverb plug-ins R4 and NIMBUS.
Groove3 Tutorials: Get a full year of unlimited access to hundreds of in-depth video tutorials for iZotope products and more, helping you gain masterful control of your tools.
Upgrade price at JRR Shop for the Music Production Bundle from 2.1 to 3 is $169, which is sorta tempting.

lofi

Re: iZotope Ozone 9 released

Post by lofi »

@Guy.
Have you worked with that tonal balance thing on orchestral or even hybrid music?
I’ve used O8 for mastering but never really used the plugins when mixing.

On a more personal note. I really miss the reverb they had in Ozone, was it pre version 6(?).
I used it all the time.

Best,
/Anders

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Anders - no, never use tonal balance with orchestral, maaaaaybe that might change with this new version where they’ve profiled It specifically, but not sure even then. I just have found it a helpful aid a certain point in the mix process of pop / rock etc where having worked for a while on something it’s good to get a step-back broad reference check that I’m not doing anything stupid and getfing carried away. But with orchestral I think it’s much more likely to be so variable within the piece itself, unless every section is playing in a particular way with a complete balance, it might not be too meaningful. With any form of regular genre music, it’s more likely to have all the elements doing fairly expected sonic things.

BTW did you clock that they’ve added 2 Exponential reverbs to their music production bundle? Persoinally I don’t miss it within Ozone itself... I guess you can add any of these reverbs (or any reverb at all) as a third party effect?

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Blimey, upgrade from MPS2.1 to MPS3 is $99 From Recording Software - https://recordingsoftware.com/product/i ... upgrade-3/ . That hit my trigger level, and successfully downloaded.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

(just to say that it looks like I was the beneficiary of a mistake on Recording Software's part, as the price has jumped to $199 now. Had no real chance yet to play with the thing).

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

I'm happy for you, Guy. That's a good price point!

As for me, I've had enough of upgrading my iZotope software twice a year. I'm sitting out this round.

The Groove3 subscription would be tempting if I didn't already have one, and I already have a lot of great reverb plugins; so the add-ons aren't compelling enough for me to pop for the upgrade from MPS2.1. The new features in Ozone 9 look nice, but Ozone 8 will do just fine for me for now.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to hearing about the new version, as I expect to eventually get it.

Best,

Geoff

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

lofi wrote: Oct 04, 2019 1:00 am @Guy.
Have you worked with that tonal balance thing on orchestral or even hybrid music?
I’ve used O8 for mastering but never really used the plugins when mixing.

On a more personal note. I really miss the reverb they had in Ozone, was it pre version 6(?).
I used it all the time.

Best,
/Anders
The reverb is in Ozone 5, which I still have. When I finally upgraded to 8 a few months ago (on a deep sale) it allowed me to keep Ozone 5, so if you owned it at some point you should be able to load in and activate the plugin with 8 or 9. I’ve used Ozone 5 in Pro Tools 11, 12, 2018, and 2019, All work fine.

Ozone 5 was really the height of the plugin, I really like the presets. Ozone 8 works great and has some nice features, but there isn’t much more you can do with it than O5. And the reverb was dropped on 6. Weird.

Not planning on getting this because I still don’t see enough there to justify basically repaying for a plugin. Recently Upgraded RX4 to RX7, then RX7 Advanced for a project deperatly needing it, but even at sale prices, a lot of money spent for subtle upgrades. Got to get off that train for a while (again).

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I've had a little play with a few things. Music Rebalance feels like its been deliberately designed to represent the tech in the most flattering way. You get +/- 8db of room, and you can only make one adjustment at a time. You can't "mix" like in RX. With that proviso its pretty damn good, and I think the algorithm might have been improved from RX. Also notable that it works in real time. The low end thing is quite clever, and can be very impressive. But with both of these, I can barely think of a use for them in a mastering process where you have control over the mix. However clever they are, they're never as good as the real thing. As I suspected, it'll be great for remixers and actually for Post believe it or not, where you might want to tweak a mix to make it sit better for your own purposes.

Tonal Balance, the business of being able to look at Relay isn't actually quite as useful as I'd hoped in the way I'd hoped, but I think it is a very good tool. Apart from adjust the level of the relay track, a very crude fix, you can't directly do anything with the info other than see its own energy profile. What IS useful is being able to solo the 4 bands, you can quickly tell if something surprising is dominating where it shouldn't. I tried combining its audio feedback on soloing, plus some Neutron EQ on groups with an eye on the gauge on a work-in-progress track and very quickly managed to isolate a few areas that to my ears did improve things, so I'm all for that. It should never be the boss of you, but I've been quite surprised at how much of a useful extra pair of ears it can be.

Only a very brief play with Ozone itself, and out of curiosity I thought I'd see how clever-or-not they master assistant was. Just because it was to hand and on a whim, the modern and vintage suggestions it made to The Human League's Love Action were pretty woeful, both sounded significantly worse to my ears. Very curiously they both tamed the highs significantly, which are zingy and lovely in the original.

The Exponential reverbs both sounded nice, but they felt to me every bit as redundant given my 23 other options as I thought. One in particular - I forget which - just seems to cover the same ground as Altiverb without being nearly as user-friendly.

Early days, still haven't tried EQ Match. Feeling is that overall this is likely pretty unessential, but - and its quite a big but - there are some features where used judiciously could really help workflow. $99 was about right imo.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Spend a little time with the reverbs... if I might make a suggestion. They are stellar, but they are deep (which might help make them stellar?)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I will Bill, I promise. As you know I tend to be a little less bothered by the minutiae in reverbs than many including yourself, but I don't count that as a badge of honour. Any tips for features to particularly look out for?

lofi

Post by lofi »

@Guy. That’s a great price!
I didn’t read about the included reverbs.
@X-bassist. Yes I still have RX1-7 and Ozone ?-8.
I need them if I want to revisit old project.
I do agree that v5 is the best complete package.
@Guy again. Nice with real-time remix/balance.
Use it all the time in post. So nice to dim vocals that lie underneath speech or to dim drum as and bass to keep the lufs at bay.

Best,
/Anders

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

One thing I forgot to mention as a heads up - the reverbs aren't installed through the Product Portal, and only come with single iLok authorisations (unlike iZotope who imo have the best licensing in the business where you can have iLok + 2 machines with every product). When I bought my bundle through Recording Software I received the expected serial number, but then found nothing at all to either download or authorise the reverbs. I contacted the company, who replied the following day with special links to add these as new purchases, but for free.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Guy Rowland wrote: Oct 04, 2019 6:47 pm I will Bill, I promise. As you know I tend to be a little less bothered by the minutiae in reverbs than many including yourself, but I don't count that as a badge of honour. Any tips for features to particularly look out for?
I'm not convinced it shouldn't be a badge of honor! I spend way too much time tweaking things, and especially effects!!

I think (know?) it depends entirely on how one works. I tend to throw any old reverb on the two-mix while working, and don't really think about it until mix time. I also turn off reverb in Kontakt or any other plugin. Until mix time I really only need a little ear candy.

While mixing I have a dozen sends with a different reverb on each (actually they are always there, part of what passes for a template for me). I then "audition" tracks or sub-mixes in each reverb till I find something that is starting to work for me.

At the moment the reverb sends include (in no particular order really):
  • UAD 480 - ok, so we all wish we had a 480 in our mitts. I've been steering away from this recently, because I feel like I do the same thing every time. But it is a gorgeous reverb, and it did define a decade of music production.
  • UAD Plate 140 - on EVERYTHING I do.
  • UAD Chamber - and this will soon have the same status. In fact the combination of the chamber and the plate could become my starting point.
  • UAD Ocean Way Studios - I love this as an insert, not so much as a aux, I should stop trying.
  • PSP Springverb & Nexcellence - don't judge me! Sometimes a spring reverb is just the thing I am looking for, it can shine a bit of a spotlight on a soloist, or create a bit of contrast, or maybe it was all I could afford when I was starting out? This aux is unique because it serves up two spring reverbs, I've even tried enabling both at the same time, never liked it much! But one of them often makes the cut. There have also been times when I've added an aux for the second one so I could use both.
  • Valhalla VintageVerb - surprised? This is one of the better "effect" reverbs I've heard.
  • 2CAudio Breeze, and I really need to spend more time with the other two, but haven't had the time/energy.
  • Eventide SP-2016 - just love the sound, and yet I really don't use it often
  • Eventide Black Hole & PSP Pianoverb2- yeah, these are special effects, and I probably overuse them. AND, sometimes I do use them in series.
  • Zynaptiq Adaptiverb - I thought this was strictly an effect, but in fact it can work really well to pull focus to an track. It earned an aux of its own.
  • Liquidsonics Reverberate - only recently made it back to the fold, convolution makes me crazy sometimes!
  • Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven - I don't quite know what to make of this one. It can sound absolutely gorgeous on orchestral material, but I haven't cracked the code for using it in other settings.
Oh yeah, you asked about your new reverb plugins! I offer the above to provide, perhaps, some sort of yardstick with which to place my opinion, an idea of other tools I use. In the last year I would guess that I have turned to the EA, now Izotope plugins more often than any, except for the plate and chamber. I'm back to working with others on the off chance that Izotope ends up ditching them. I like the folks at Izotope, a friends son worked there for years and had nothing but good things to say.

I do like their older plugins (interesting that others mentioned V5, I really felt that was the pinnacle - the reverb, the multi-band compressor, and the equalizer were all so musical. Sadly I had the restricted versions that came with Sound Forge. Had I known that SF was going to tank I'd have upgraded to the full versions, but at the time my workflow landed in SF every time, so there was no need. UGH!)

My concern is that they continue to "dumb down" the tools, allowing the computer to make more and more decisions for me. I don't think they can do that with reverb, but they are some very smart, very clever folks! But I digress...

You asked about:
  • EA R4 is like having a 480, or a 224, or an SP-2016, or an Ursa Major with the cover off. It can create remarkable, not absolutely natural, reverb. I find it quite easy to dial up the reverb part, and then I spend way too much time tweaking, which is (can be?) the magic, but also a time soak. Play around with some of the hall presets, look under the covers! I'm not in front of my DAW at the moment, so I don't remember the names, but play with the controls. This plugin harkens back to the days when would hook up a new device and then spin every control to zero, and ten just to hear the extremes. That works here, and I suspect is the best, maybe only way to really explore.
  • EA Nimbus - true confessions time... for the first time (maybe ever?) I use presets. I will tweak here and there, a little, but mostly I pick a room and I"m done. If I want a natural sounding reverb this is what I do. And until I picked up Breeze there was nothing that even came close, for me. But even if I bought Breeze first I'd still own both - they react to sounds differently.
I think I talk, a lot, about that aspect of plugins - how they react to things as opposed to how they process things. I think it matters, and it isn't something I can really explain, but I can give an example.

Take two reverbs, probably best from two developers, and route different tracks to both of them. Mute one at a time, and listen to how the plugin reacts to different stimuli. Use all different sounds, percussive, slow attack, flute (simple) and cello (complex) and distorted guitar (really complex!).

(Try this with compressors and equalizers too.)

This is how I learned about processors and effects (not that there were many choices, so maybe we had to know our gear a little better? I'm not convinced.) It is not just about what the processor does to the sound, but also what the sound does to the processor.

Anyway - TL;DR - with R4 turn every knob, and start with the halls, as they sound terrific. With Nimbus just pick a room and bathe in the glory.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Bill! I still tend to do your turn everything full up, and full down when going through a new product. Still the best way imo - when you know how it sounds pushed, you know exactly what it does and what to listen out for in terms of problems when setting it up.

I'll try and spend some quality time with the R4 in particular. I am soooo run ragged at the moment, seem to be spinning far too many wobbling plates right now, so it could be a while til I have time for such luxuries.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

(i did sneak R4 into a project I had an hour to work on - sounds nice but you're not kidding Bill are you? THOUSANDS of controls. I have to say I didn't find it at all intuitive, almost nothing did what I expected it to do. Will definitely take some effort to get to the point where I can properly bend it to my will.)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Back briefly to correct something I said earlier as I grab odd minutes here and there to go through things. The Tonal Balance Control 2 DOES allow EQ correction from the plugin. I had to update Neutron 3 to 3.1 to enable this, then it appears. So I am thinking this might be a whole new workflow for me, adding Neutron 3 EQ modules to the groups in my template, and Tonal Balance on the main.

EDIT - will be trying to essentially not open the individual EQ instances at all, just flipping between them in the TBC. Great that you can line up precisely above / below with the whole mix and the specific EQ in question.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Another stolen moment to check out something. This time it's the Match EQ module. Full confession - 98% of my use of this in RX has been in my Post work, though it bailed me out recently on vocals recorded on 2 different days with a change of timbre in the singer's voice between the two.

I have to say this new implementation has confused the hell out of me. I can't yet use it in the way I use the RX version. The workflow there is quite simple - you zip across your reference file, capture it in Match EQ, and then safe that as a profile. Then all I do is copy across the audio that needs fixing, regardless of what it is, apply the profile (typically set to 100%) and job done.

With the new Match EQ, there seems to be an intermediate step that makes it much more clunky in use. Part 1 is the same only better because its a standalone module now, no need to open it in RX. Capture the profile, great. Then I save that as a preset. But there's an All New Part 2, where you capture the profile of what you want it to match to. Then you set the amount and smoothing, and render.

What seems to happen therefore, is that the plugin's profile contains two elements. Its custom made for any one piece of audio. If that's all you need to do, fantastic - it works really well. But my problem is that every bit of audio I send to it is different. I need to re-capture the audio that needs to be fixed every time. In my tests, this proved to be quite laborious, and for whatever reason doesn't seem to do as good a job as the RX module on some material. On a show I'm dubbing right now, there are three sources of sync mics - a boom (great), a radio mic (horrible) and voice over booth mic (different-great). I often need to match all three, so they all sound like a boom. I'm able to make the first radio mic sound right, then save that as a profile - crucially, the profiles now store two sets of data, one for the reference and one for the file to Apply To. But I then need to clear the Apply To profile, every time, to match it to the new audio. To add another curve-ball, I don't know why but when previewing while capturing the Apply To signal it sounds wrong. It sounds ok when applied though.

I don't get it. What should have been a time-saver takes longer. In the RX version it seems to just figure out how to apply it to every file on a case by case basis. This all might be a limitation of Ozone's Match EQ working in real time, so it can't analyse each file automatically - this on reflection is probably the magic of the RX version. All the while you only ever have two dependable sources - your reference and a constant Apply To source, this works just fine. But the moment you want to throw more than one thing at it, it becomes a major PITA.

This is just one use for it, the way I use it in RX, and it fails that test - I'll be sticking to the tried and true. If you want to use it in perhaps a more Ozone-like way, where you set it up to apply a specific curve to a specifc place, then its great tool.