There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cinesamples Abbey Road Upright Pianos discontinued

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
X-bassist

Cinesamples Abbey Road Upright Pianos discontinued

Post by X-bassist »

It all ends Wed. On sale for $65. Apparently their licensing contract with Abbey Road runs out Wed and sales have not been enough to renew. Too bad, some very good character uprights. Glad I wasn’t on vacation and picked it up before it disappears!

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-4541920

Lawrence

Re: Cinesamples Abbey Road Upright Pianos discontinued

Post by Lawrence »

I’ll probably do it at the last minute.

Offhand, I can’t think of anything to buy for the price that will be as much fun (hopefully.) Also, I don’t think I have another tack piano (not you, Jason.) I used to have something in Sampletank2, but it was barely ok and being 32 bIt I have waved goodbye to ST.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I suspect that Abbey Road Upright Pianos will be every bit as much fun as Piano in Blue. I too will probably waffle till the last minute and then buy it anyway<G>. So it goes.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

C'mon, has anyone tried it yet? Last day. Even I'm thinking about it, and I never buy pianos, except all the times that I do.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Just bought it, but I’m burnt. I’ll give you my take on the morrow.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Post by wst3 »

my finger is itching to hit buy - love to hear your opinion as well Guy... I was also certain I had enough piano libraries, but they got my attention with the whole never to be sold again, quantities limited (ok, that part is a little odd, perhaps there is a fixed number of copies on the license with the studio?)

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I guess I am different because when I read "never to be sold again" I don't want to buy it.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Ashermusic wrote: Apr 22, 2020 10:26 am I guess I am different because when I read "never to be sold again" I don't want to buy it.
If this were a "conventional" library I'd be right there with you ! Never to be sold again suggests (guarantees?) that bugs won't be fixed, new features won't be added, and for me those are serious considerations.

This is not, at least to me, a conventional library - it is a couple of iconic (how about well known, often recorded, something other than iconic) pianos that those of us of a certain vintage certainly heard on records. Which makes them interesting.

In much the same way that Piano In Blue is interesting.

I don't think Piano in Blue has ended up on the final version of any tracks I've done, but it has inspired ideas when I just sit there and noodle around on it. There is a personality there, even if it is not the "best" piano library I own. Which is an entirely different conversation anyway.

If the Abbey Road uprights provide some inspiration, or even just some fun, then I think they are worth their original price, and purchasing now, especially at a discount, is not a concern. As long as they work<G>.

None-the-less your point is a good one, and it is sticking in the back of my mind, since I'm trying to avoid purchases right now.

Take care!

wst3

Post by wst3 »

and I caved, that last post talked me into it. Pretty bad when you talk yourself into something...

More later after I take them for a spin.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Okay, here's a VERY quick bash, don't judge me! No quantizing, reverb, mixing. just bashing.

1. You Never Give me your Money-Challen
2.Lady Madonna-Challen Tack (not much tack there, not sure if I'm doing something wrong, will revisit.)
3.Hey Jude- Mrs Mills

I like the Challen, Mrs. Mills less so, but all in all they're a bit clanky and vintage poppy sounding, so I'm happy and for the price, I will find uses for them.

http://www.ljnmusicandsound.com/2020/abbey-road-pianos/

L.J. Nachsin

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks Larry for taking the time to do that. Well that'll learn me, just as I decided "oh what the hell, let's get it", they're all outa codes!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I wouldn’t have expected that, but I wouldn’t have been broken-hearted either.

L.J. Nachsin

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Nicely demonstrated, Larry.

I decided against it anyway, so not sad I was too late.. I have the Chocolate Audio Steinbach Upright that with the right settings comes as close as I anticipate ever needing to, and I I add a little bit of Fab Four Lady Madonna piano (way too thin on its own) even closer to the Chalian sound on Lady Madonna and I think the ArtVista Virtual Grand 2 could do the "Hey Jude" thing close enough.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Quasar

Post by Quasar »

Lawrence wrote: Apr 22, 2020 2:10 pm Okay, here's a VERY quick bash, don't judge me! No quantizing, reverb, mixing. just bashing.

1. You Never Give me your Money-Challen
2.Lady Madonna-Challen Tack (not much tack there, not sure if I'm doing something wrong, will revisit.)
3.Hey Jude- Mrs Mills

I like the Challen, Mrs. Mills less so, but all in all they're a bit clanky and vintage poppy sounding, so I'm happy and for the price, I will find uses for them.

http://www.ljnmusicandsound.com/2020/abbey-road-pianos/
Sounds very nice, thanks. But it also confirms for me that I have more than enough piano emus already. No reason to purchase at any price.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Ashermusic wrote: Apr 22, 2020 6:06 pm Nicely demonstrated, Larry.

I decided against it anyway, so not sad I was too late.. I have the Chocolate Audio Steinbach Upright that with the right settings comes as close as I anticipate ever needing to, and I I add a little bit of Fab Four Lady Madonna piano (way too thin on its own) even closer to the Chalian sound on Lady Madonna and I think the ArtVista Virtual Grand 2 could do the "Hey Jude" thing close enough.
All true, and I have Fab Four as well. No heartbreak for anyone missing it, but I’ll find a use case.

L.J. Nachsin

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

And in the end...

I decided against it too. I was tempted; but for me, it boiled down to whether I'd rather sound like The Beatles or like myself—a question I'm sure many a musician has faced over the years.

Best,

Geoff

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Oh , that’s an easy one for me. The Beatles! 😀

L.J. Nachsin

Quasar

Post by Quasar »

Lawrence wrote: Apr 23, 2020 12:44 am Oh , that’s an easy one for me. The Beatles! 😀
Any marketing that implies that one can sound like someone else who is famous and successful is an instant turnoff for me. But the creation of Pavlovian associations obviously works, so I can see why they do it.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I don't think the marketing claims you will sound like the Beatles (although there are worse things), I view it as an opportunity to use samples from an instrument that has a place in history. At least that is the attraction to me with respect to libraries like The Abbey Road pianos and Piano in Blue. Come to think of it I am not trying to sound like JW, but I do love the sound of the scoring stage they used for their winds, brass, and strings.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

For $69 to purchase a few old pianos I’ll be stealth marketed. I didn’t think they’d make me sound like the Beatles being that I’m only half a moron.

D’ya suppose that people who bought the Spitfire/Zimmer stuff bought it purely for the cachet? Or that the OT/junkie XL stuff made people believe they could then write like him? Maybe.

Me, I’ve had my Beatles chops for over 30 years.

L.J. Nachsin

Quasar

Post by Quasar »

wst3 wrote: Apr 23, 2020 2:32 pm I don't think the marketing claims you will sound like the Beatles (although there are worse things), I view it as an opportunity to use samples from an instrument that has a place in history. At least that is the attraction to me with respect to libraries like The Abbey Road pianos and Piano in Blue. Come to think of it I am not trying to sound like JW, but I do love the sound of the scoring stage they used for their winds, brass, and strings.
Of course they don't claim that you will sound like the Beatles or whoever, not overtly, because the claim is too preposterous, even for the proverbial lowest common denominator. But it certainly evokes a semi-subliminal romantic association in which one "feels" a connection between a particular product and an artist or set of works which you admire and enjoy, making the product seem more attractive than it might otherwise be.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it does feel manipulative and exploitative, that's all.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

You know, I am a huge Beatles fan, as well as some others, so you would think I would be the perfect target for these kind of things, but in the end, to me they are just freaking samples and if they get the job done with a little massaging, I don’t much care where they come from.

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Ashermusic wrote: Apr 23, 2020 4:28 pm You know, I am a huge Beatles fan, as well as some others, so you would think I would be the perfect target for these kind of things, but in the end, to me they are just freaking samples and if they get the job done with a little massaging, I don’t much care where they come from.
That is EXactly what Mozart said! ... oh, wait... no... he cared about the music he was making.

Getting the job done is good for paint and nails, doing the wash, and getting your car fixed. Even there, some people would disagree (like architects, dry cleaners, and indy 500 mechanics).

But Kudos for making the most out of what you already have.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Quasar wrote: Apr 23, 2020 4:20 pm
wst3 wrote: Apr 23, 2020 2:32 pm I don't think the marketing claims you will sound like the Beatles (although there are worse things), I view it as an opportunity to use samples from an instrument that has a place in history. At least that is the attraction to me with respect to libraries like The Abbey Road pianos and Piano in Blue. Come to think of it I am not trying to sound like JW, but I do love the sound of the scoring stage they used for their winds, brass, and strings.
Of course they don't claim that you will sound like the Beatles or whoever, not overtly, because the claim is too preposterous, even for the proverbial lowest common denominator. But it certainly evokes a semi-subliminal romantic association in which one "feels" a connection between a particular product and an artist or set of works which you admire and enjoy, making the product seem more attractive than it might otherwise be.

It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it does feel manipulative and exploitative, that's all.
Just to qualify, Fab Four from EW is laser focused on that, and it's pretty successful.

http://www.ljnmusicandsound.com/2020/lu ... necessary/

L.J. Nachsin