There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Prepurchse--KOMPAKT KOMPLETE, a great idea, horrible execution, or not? Help

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
1gc

Prepurchse--KOMPAKT KOMPLETE, a great idea, horrible execution, or not? Help

Post by 1gc »

Hi. Another midi controller topic heading.
I'm looking right now at the Kompakt Komplete. In looking around I'm finding a lot of comment about how wonderful the Fatar keyboard is to play, but often followed up by an awful lot of accompaning negative comment out there..
One constantcy of complaint is from people who have used the Kom.Komplete for over a year, and how it just seems to start becomimg an ongoing issues box.
A lot of complaints about internal rattling under the hood, nobs falling off, some nobs harder to turn then others, the right led screen freezes in white no longer displaying any info, buzzing from C3 TO C5 (probably the 4d encoder)
and the horrible "features that work sometimes and then again, sometimes not"
Several have either had to exchange their out of the box model for another one after arrival, OR have just flat out been dissilusioned to the point that with there warranty they've flat out returned it.
And the most damning that after a year in with K.K. they would never buy it again, despite the great playing action.

So, there are always going to be people with bad experiences and maybe some N.I. bad quality control issues.
I don't know here whether K.K. generates so many negative messages because it is a bigger seller then most
and I often can't tell whether a specific complainer uses their K.K. as a stationary studio controller
or if people with quality control issues are using their K.K. for a gigging keyboard, and those Kompakts are just getting too beat up with the constantcy of setup, brakedowns-moving, dropping, bouncing around on roads, and heavy handed live playing techniques.

So I putting this out on the forums I use to see if, before spending the money, whether there I can get some K.K. users to offer either positive or negative issues or dislikes not forseen by them pre purchase?
I would use Kom Komplete solely as an in place studio midi controller with Cubase10.5-VEP7 combo with Windows 10 and a Fireface 400 interface for the purpose of playing in Virtual Libs, and without the Kontakt add-on package.
I've also looked at Korg's, Roland's, Yamahas, even Doefers. I have an M Audio es88, an MPK88, all gone to keyboard heaven, but with the Synth workstations I would never use the built in accessories and it seems with workstaions that I'm paying about $1,500 to $2,000 for stuff I'll never use.
All I want is a good action midi controller!
So, is the Kompakt Komplete a great idea, but horrible execution, or is it worth it over the next few years for the purposes I'm looking at it for?
Any input is appreciated!
Thanks, and stay safe out there.
g.c.

Guy Rowland

Re: Prepurchse--KOMPAKT KOMPLETE, a great idea, horrible execution, or not? Help

Post by Guy Rowland »

This is a really basic question, but what is Kompakt Komplete? I see a bunch of their controllers but none with that name, and Kompakt was the name they used about 15 years ago for a discontinued bit of software. Do you mean the Komplete Kontrol series perhaps?

Topic author
1gc

Re: Prepurchse--KOMPAKT KOMPLETE, a great idea, horrible execution, or not? Help

Post by 1gc »

I can't believe I did that!
Yes, I'm asking about the Komplete Kontrol 88 keyboard, not the old East West et al player from the 2005's.
So sorry for the confusion, and thanks Guy for catching this!
g.c.