There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cinematic Studio Woodwinds

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Cinematic Studio Woodwinds

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Alex Wallbank has shared some info and two test examples (he doesn't consider them real demos) of the forthcoming and much anticipated Cinematic Studio Woodwinds.

The instrument list is as follows:
- Solo Flute
- 2 Flutes
- Solo Oboe
- 2 Oboes
- Solo Clarinet
- 2 Clarinets
- Solo Bassoon
- 2 Bassoons
- Solo Piccolo
- Solo Cor Anglais
- Solo Alto Flute
- Solo Bass Clarinet
- Solo Contrabassoon
+ a full ensemble patch

And to get a first (and very promising) taste of what the library sounds like, here are Mountain Pass and Northern Lights.

It looks very likely that the library will be released before the end of the year.

_

bryla

Re: Incoming: Cinematic Studio Woodwinds

Post by bryla »

Having gotten in to the CS-line just two months ago I'm so looking forward to this! All other products have made me smile of samples like never before and I love how easy it is.

This sounds great and although it's missing maybe bass flute for me personally, I have them covered elsewhere although it would be nice to have.
Thomas Bryla

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Dec 02, 2020 10:58 pm - Solo Cor Anglais
Ahem.

Paging Jay.

Best,

Geoff

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

I've been an avid "CS-fan" since the original Cinematic Strings. Been waiting for these woodwinds a while, looking forward to the release!

lofi

Post by lofi »

When do we get the percussion!
We need percussion!!!
PERCUSSION!!!
etc...

Ooops, sorry I thought I was on another forum.

Will be great to see a walkthrough and some official demos.
Missing some air on those flutes.
Don't get me wrong, sounds great and all and I will probably complete my orchestra, but a walkthrough will definitely help.

Thanks for sharing,

Anders

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Geoff Grace wrote: Dec 03, 2020 3:53 am
Piet De Ridder wrote: Dec 02, 2020 10:58 pm - Solo Cor Anglais
Ahem.

Paging Jay.

Best,

Geoff
I saw it. As I already have and am a fan of CSS, CSSS, and CSB, this is for me.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I hope Alex is not delaying the release to 2021.

The waiting continues ...

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I am sure that like the others it will be excellent, but it’s an effing sample library,, not an end to world hunger. When it arrives, it arrives.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

tack

Post by tack »

I'm rather eager to see it released soon myself, but that's mainly because I have a) Christmas vacation time and b) no extended family exposure due to quarantining, so this is just the perfect time to play with a new toy.
- Jason

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I wonder if there is a specific detail delaying the release ?

Be it NI, Kontakt, or something else.

Anyways ... All we can do is wait.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I think we are all waiting, with differing degrees of patience<G>!

It is the only library on my list of libraries to buy, and I have some cash stashed away for whenever it arrives.

tack

Re: Cinematic Studio Woodwinds

Post by tack »

- Jason

mcalis

Post by mcalis »

Meets - and in some places exceeds - my expectations, and expectations were pretty damn high! From the videos I think the oboe and flute impress the most, but I'll have to get it under my fingers to get a better impression. Just as a heads-up to anyone who intends to grab this: CSW comes in at 105GB, a little over 3x the size of CSS or CSB.
Matthias Calis

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Impressive.

_

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I wonder if they have the built in delay for legato.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Linos

Post by Linos »

Now this sounds like woodwinds that are to my taste. Impressive indeed. I already bought and will download soon.

NoamL

Post by NoamL »

A quick fumble:

The Saxer

Post by The Saxer »

Lawrence wrote: Jan 10, 2021 2:40 am I wonder if they have the built in delay for legato.
3 legato delays:
220ms
130ms
90ms
Shorts:
60ms

lofi

Post by lofi »

The Saxer wrote: Jan 10, 2021 5:10 am
3 legato delays:
220ms
130ms
90ms
Shorts:
60ms
Hey Saxer!!!
On top of things :)
Same as the brass and strings (?).
Best,
/Anders

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Received the email with the announcement, and the coupon code, last night. Stayed up too late listening to demos and watching videos. This appears to be every bit as impressive as the rest of the series. Not sure why I thought I should sleep on it, but I didn't order it till this morning. Waiting for the download links now, but I expect each step will be a little slower than usual.

Congrats to Alex and his entire team!

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

Looking forward to receiving it, demos sound really good.

www.jayasher.com

Linos

Post by Linos »

Some quick first impressions from me:

The bar has been set very high by Cinematic Studio Series former releases. And it looks like the woodwinds live up to that standard. I haven't fully tested everything. But what I have used so far is impressive. I haven't found a sampled oboe or cor anglais that I really like. These ones here I do like. They have that beautiful elegiac tone. They can sing, or blend with the other instruments as needed. Very nice. The other instruments are beautiful too.

Other random things I noticed: quality control is spot on. As the other installments of the series, this library is very consistent.

Legato is fantastic. Just load up the clarinet and play a legato phrase. It sounds better than any sampled woodwinds I have heard so far.

Vibrato works very well for me out of the box. It builds beautifully on long notes. On shorter notes it's unobtrusive. I really like that.

Dynamic crossfades can be quite audible, for examaple when reaching the top dynamic layer in the flute. You need to program around this in exposed passages. The chords in the beginning of the piece below are a real test for crossfades. CSW does actually ok here. It's in exposed, solistic passages that you need to be the most careful.

The timbres of these sampled instruments behave like they would in reality. The flute in its low register will be buried, unless it's played quite a bit louder than the other instruments. That's true in real orchestration, but I haven't found that in other woodwind sample libraries.

Here is a short ditty I am writing to test the library. It's for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon (all from CSW), and french horn (Cinematic Studio Brass):

https://app.box.com/s/9m46n22hoo09wi1rv0h9z5vxyurn6l1l

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

Happy too.

(Perhaps a touch more room for your ditty, Linos? Especially on those opening crescendos which now all sound separated by complete silence. Almost as if gated. Sounds a bit strange.)

_

Linos

Post by Linos »

Yes, reverb is definitely the right idea. I didn't mix it in its unfinished state, so apart from a limiter that's CSW out of the box. For real world use, I will either create a custom mix with more of the room mic and less close, or support the default mix with additional reverb.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Sigh, I wish I wasn't so short on money right now. Been waiting for this release for what, 3-4 years?

Glad it seems to live up to my expectations, I have all their other libraries, even the first CS.

Now, where did that piggy bank go...