There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Korg Collection 3

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Korg Collection 3

Post by Guy Rowland »

https://korg.shop/software/korg-collect ... undle.html

A few new products here:

Microkorg 700s
Prophecy
Triton Extreme

Downloadable demos available, but no videos or audio demos yet that I can see.

And here we enter the wonderful arcane world of Korg, where it's nearly impossible to order or find out what your discounts are. This was posted in KVR:

1) Make sure the shopping cart is empty!
2) Login your Korg account
3) Select "Special offerings" (nb - this appeared for me in Account / Account information / Offers from Korg, but was empty)
4) Copy the coupon code
5) Click on buy
6) Now enter the coupon code
7) Now you can finally click on buy

I'm an owner of the original legacy collection and see no discounts doing this, mind. To buy new it is $399, with an intro discount to $299.

EDIT - thanks to Mario, here's the extra steps I needed - go to a different site altogether:

https://www.korguser.net/asp/upgrade.asp

Login and click the upgrade link. I get a coupon code and a link, but the link is to $199 with discount already applied, and the coupon doesn't do anything. Still, that's not a bad price for the new synths plus the Triton in both versions and the Odyssey.

wst3

Re: Korg Collection 3

Post by wst3 »

I got the coupon to work, and I agree, it is a silly process. Makes one wonder about their e-commerce skills.

Anyway, the Triton might be fun, and the MicroKorg will be fun but not $200 worth of fun for me. I already have an Odyssey (Gforce) that I absolutely love.

Not to suggest this isn't a cool collection, it is. I've been using the original collection pretty much since it was introduced, and the MS-20 since it was released. They are well thought out models, and while the MS-20 does not mimic my hardware MS-20, it is close. In some ways it is a little easier to manage, but still not quite as much fun as the hardware. I do have a couple control surfaces I am trying to press into service to make the software a little more friendly.

Mikeybabes

Post by Mikeybabes »

Amazon must be quaking in their shoes at the sheer majesty of Korg's e-commerce skills......

Are there any improvements to any of the other instruments do you know...?

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Mikeybabes wrote: Jul 30, 2021 2:55 pm Amazon must be quaking in their shoes at the sheer majesty of Korg's e-commerce skills......

Are there any improvements to any of the other instruments do you know...?
Ha!

No improvements since the extremely welcome v3 GUI overhauls, unless you count the Triton. Existing Triton owners get the Extreme update for free I believe.

I would like this set, I love old Korgs but it's my usual thing of "oh for goodness sake, how many old synth emulations do I really need?" I barely use the ones I have, and I even have an MS20iC controller.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I imagine the Triton would be good for some hip hop, as I believe it was widely used by hip hop artists. ‘Course, how would I know :)
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lawrence wrote: Jul 30, 2021 11:56 pm I imagine the Triton would be good for some hip hop, as I believe it was widely used by hip hop artists. ‘Course, how would I know :)
I suspect that was because it was ubiquitous at the time as a workstation. So unless you need to have the specific sounds of an era, I doubt it's generally useful now for the genre, or rather no more so than 1,000 alternatives.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Here's some examples.

Prophecy

Titan Extreme

miniKorg 700s

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jul 30, 2021 5:53 pm I would like this set, I love old Korgs but it's my usual thing of "oh for goodness sake, how many old synth emulations do I really need?" I barely use the ones I have, and I even have an MS20iC controller.
I got rid of dozens of old synth emulations some time ago, but I still have quite a few, including the Korg collection 2, all the GForce instruments, and a handful of others, including some from Arturia and a couple from UVI.

For the longest time I just didn't use synthesizers very often, I was focused on orchestral libraries - go figure. Since around the beginning of the year I have been working with synthesizers - a mix of old emulations and new stuff - a lot. And I discovered (sadly) that I had forgotten much about working with them, which is really sad, but not a permanent affliction (I hope).

II also added three MIDI enabled hardware synthesizers - the Korg MS-20 tabletop edition, a Roland SE-02, and a Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900. I am so enamored of the Microvolt that I will probably pickup their Lifeforms SV-1 when I have some spare cash (what is spare cash?). Actually both the Roland and the Microvolt were really pleasant surprises, they sound great! I do wish the SE-02 was a little easier to get around.

And yes, I do regret not picking up the MS20iC controller. The desktop version of the MS-20 has taken some of the sting off that poor decision. Every once in a while I scrounge around eBay and Reverb, but this far nothing has caught my eye.

If you like (love) some of the old Korg synthesizers I'd recommend this collection.

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

MS20iC - is that the midi controller that they used to bundle with the old Legacy Collection, probably over a decade ago now?

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

scherzo wrote: Jul 31, 2021 10:15 am MS20iC - is that the midi controller that they used to bundle with the old Legacy Collection, probably over a decade ago now?
That's the one. It works great, though of course knobs are in the wrong position when you start to adjust a patch. It controls Omnisphere via the hardware profile, and even the patch cords work. I think I paid about £100 for it a couple of years back on eBay. I don't use it much admittedly, but I like looking at it! Doesn't take up much space in the small studio...

Bill, I'm still hoping someone makes a really great universal controller one day, physical knobs and buttons laid over a dynamic screen which can reflect the actual synth you're controlling. Needn't be expensive, and eminently doable I'd have thought.

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Oh wow :) in that case, I might still have one. I got it bundled with the software package way back in my synth phase. While I liked the synths (especially the PolySix, oddly!), I never particularly enjoyed using the controller thingy. Eventually it ended up in a storage box in mom's garage after my last move.

Bill, if you're interested I can ask my folks to have a look and see if it's still there. I'd rather it found a new loving home somewhere rather than just collect dust. Can't promise anything though - there's a chance it's rotting in a landfill or something by now.

I had no idea there was any second-hand demand for these things. When I looked around, all I could find were scammy eBayers trying to sell them at exorbitant prices to unsuspecting people who probably didn't realize they were bidding on a midi controller and not a real hardware synth.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jul 31, 2021 10:20 am Bill, I'm still hoping someone makes a really great universal controller one day, physical knobs and buttons laid over a dynamic screen which can reflect the actual synth you're controlling. Needn't be expensive, and eminently doable I'd have thought.
Yeah, that seems to be the stuff of fantasies. I've played around with the idea and it isn't difficult to build one for any specific synthesizer, or maybe even class of synthesizers (subtractive 2 oscillator for example). But when you want to control an EX-800 and a K-5 and a TX-7 and an MKS-80... well you get the picture.

The real expense is the controls - switches and pots are not awfully expensive, but if I were going to build one I'd use momentary switches and endless controls, and I'd probably illuminate everything.

Which I suppose is the attraction to software. I used to use MIDIQuest all the time, and I really think I need to get back to it??

Keep your eyes open. :)