There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

[Wanted] Broadband absorbers

Sell any 2nd hand kit or software
Forum rules
Please make sure you can legally sell anything you post here - some software developers expressly forbid reselling.

Topic author
Bobbyl

[Wanted] Broadband absorbers

Post by Bobbyl »

I hope it's ok to post Wanted threads here?

Anyway, I need some broadband absorbers on stands. I can't afford the prices that these things normally cost from the recommended places, but if anyone has some secondhand for a good price or knows of anyone that makes them - please let me know.

wst3

Re: [Wanted] Broadband absorbers

Post by wst3 »

May I assume from this you do not feel that you can make them yourself?

They really are easy to build. You need only:
- four pieces of 1x4 or 1x6 lumber cut into 2 ft and 4 ft pieces or all 2 ft pieces
- some scrap plywood to make cornerstones if you wish (I think they are helpful
- fabric - muslin or burlap work well and are inexpensive. If you are handy with dyes you can even color them.
- something to stuff them with, Rockwool is probably more efficient than rags, but you'd be surprised at how well rags can work.
- if you want to get a little fancier you can put a plywood back on the frame, but fabric on both sides works well, and lets you increase absorption by spacing them off the walls.

The only tools you need are scissors and a staple gun. If you have a saw you can cut your own lumber, but almost any hardware store will cut it for you.

My first set was home made, and they did not last forever, but they worked for a while. Recently I decided to go all in and buy commercial absorbers from GIK and ASC. They look nicer than the ones I made, but not by a lot. They are a little easier to handle, again not by a lot. The Tube Traps are remarkable, and I can't build anything like that. The rest of the panels are better, but not by a lot, and if I had the time I'd probably go back to DIY.

There is one "trick" that the GIK bass traps have that I can't completely figure out - they have plates inside to either limit the range of frequencies that are absorbed or act as a diffuser. And they work. They make fantastic gobos! The little legs/brackets that GIK sell are a little over priced, I think, the rest of the stuff is priced fairly. The ASC stuff is more expensive, which is why I mixed and matched!

FriFlo

Re: [Wanted] Broadband absorbers

Post by FriFlo »

Bobbyl wrote: Aug 06, 2021 12:15 pm Anyway, I need some broadband absorbers on stands. I can't afford the prices that these things normally cost from the recommended places, but if anyone has some secondhand for a good price or knows of anyone that makes them - please let me know.
One would definitively need your location. I could offer some standing absorbers ... in Munich Germany .... ;-)