There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

VSL / Synchron Harp

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

VSL / Synchron Harp

Post by Piet De Ridder »

VSL. have released the Synchron Harp (which is not a synchron-ized version of their old harps, but an all new recorded instrument).

- Lyon & Healy Style 30 Concert Grand harp
- 92 GB of samples, up to 8 velocities, each string sampled in each pedal position
- New Synchron Harp Player recreates the pedaling mechanism
- Chromatic and Pedal Mode
- Play glissandos simply by gliding over the white keys
- Quick access to pre-configured pedalizations
- Masterfully crafted mixer presets

Special intro price (until Dec. 13th):
- Standard: € 145 (regular € 195)
- Full Library: € 255 (regular € 345)

__

srkrishnan

Re: VSL / Synchron Harp

Post by srkrishnan »

Sounds very nice and great set of features!

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Quite ingenious, I do miss the prerecorded glisses in the original, a real time saver but that library was a bit too dry for orchestral mockups in general but because of the mass amount of arts it still is my go to harp lib. Probably will take this for a spin.

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Yes, sounds lovely indeed. Very detailed, delicate sound. 8 dynamic layers is more than anything else out there by quite the margin. And the overview in the player is easy on the eyes, so usability should be good.

However, am I in the minority here about feeling that actual recorded glissandi are absolutely necessary? The playable ones are a feature that many other libs include but in my experience there's a difference between what can be pulled of with scripting/playing and an actual glissando performed on a Harp. I seriously lack that sense of momentum that is there with the real thing. Also, programming glissandi to be just right is a bit of pain in the workflow.

I feel like there's a real gap in the market for just a great sounding glissando/arpeggio Harp that covers a vast territory. Hm, maybe I'll have to do it myself.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

They seem to have missed to edit something out in the very last seconds of the second video. Another very rushed release! :P

Scoredog

Post by Scoredog »

Another concern is at 8 velocity layers running your hands over the KB quickly I can "imagine" a large cpu hit. With a pre- recorded gliss of course the hit is minimal.

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

No problem with core overload within Logic Pro here.

ComposerGuy

Post by ComposerGuy »

So what do ya’all think. The original Vsl harp is in just about everything I write. How does the synchron compare? There’s just something ‘magical’ about their original harp. It sits so perfectly in the mix all the time.
-Disclaimer: I have received free libraries from East West and several others. Don’t shoot me.

Jack Weaver

Post by Jack Weaver »

ComposerGuy wrote: Dec 20, 2021 3:30 am So what do ya’all think. The original Vsl harp is in just about everything I write. How does the synchron compare? There’s just something ‘magical’ about their original harp. It sits so perfectly in the mix all the time.
You can make it sound like the original harp from 20 years ago if you want or need to. But now you don't have to spend a whole bunch of time finding the right 'verb/delay combination to make it fit any specific mix scenario.

Plus... myself and all my composer friends love the new way to do arpeggios. Saves tons of time.

Also, I find the new bisbigliando and harmonics sound a bit better than the original.

Topic author
Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

A very fine library, I agree.
And convincing across the dynamic range which was less the case with the old harps.

__

ComposerGuy

Post by ComposerGuy »

Thanks guys.
-Disclaimer: I have received free libraries from East West and several others. Don’t shoot me.

ZeeCount

Post by ZeeCount »

How would you guys rate this harp compared to the OT Harps? I'm looking for a new one and trying to decide between the two.
Soundcloud __________ Youtube