There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cubase 12 released [DEMO and 12.0.30 NOW AVAILABLE]

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Home Studio 87

Re: Cubase 12 released [DEMO NOW AVAILABLE]

Post by Home Studio 87 »

Yes I never see in all the steinberg life (well I began with a floppy disk & Pro-24) an improvement like this...
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 4x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 12 / VEP7 / Console 1 / TC Icon / CMC Controllers / iPads Lemur / 24ch XTouch / Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 /

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Intriguing. I wonder if it applies to Mac OS. I don’t need the extra CPU cycles are the moment, but I wouldn’t mind having them.

These questions span a few threads but:

1. I built a VEP 6 template in C 10.5. Should it open in C12?
2. Does the iLok update for VSL allow one to open templates built in the eLicensor version?
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Linos

Post by Linos »

Larry I'm on a Windows machine, but I am in the midst of building a new template. I created most of it in Cubase 11, everything hosted in VE Pro 7, using the elicenser version. Halfway through I thought it might be a good idea make the switch to VSL ilok. And you now what. It was. A good idea, that is. Switching was very easy, thanks to the Vienna Assistant. Everything is streamlined, and everything opened after the switch to ilok just as it did before. Then I bought Cubase 12, and the huge template created in Cubase 11 opened without a problem.

It's all anecdotal of course, but for me both upgrades were completely hassle free. The same template I am working on now runs in Cubase 12 and VSL ilok. The Steinberg dongle removed from my pc.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

One big thing to flag, Larry - VE Pro 6 is deprecated, and can't be ported to iLok. So you'd need to update to 7 first (which is pretty painless and 7 is waaay better imo). After that, what Linos said, it was an amazingly smooth update - just resave each VE Pro project after it has first converted.

I think as long as you're not M1, The 10.5 template should work. On the M1, vst2 doesn't work any more (I think), but it's fine on Windows or regular MacOS.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

After a bit more reflection I think I'm still gonna hold on the update to 12.0.10 - too many people seem to have borked systems as a result (see https://forums.steinberg.net/t/cubase-1 ... ble/780412 and https://forums.steinberg.net/t/cubase-1 ... ues/780413 ). I'd love reduced CPU Home Studio 87, but I don't want to jump just yet given how serious and widespread problems with this update seem to be. I might get lucky or I might not. Hopefully 12.0-20 will be more stable for more people, so I'll wait for that.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thanks fellas.

I actually bought VEP 7 quite a while ago but never implemented it, so same question I guess-will my VEP 6 template open in VEP 7 and C12?

(You can tell how eager I am to build a new template, eh?)
😉
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Hopefully someone with a better memory than me can help on that one Larry, I honestly can’t remember what I did. At some time around then I decided to go the disabled route which was new in 7, so at that point I started from scratch (for the last time, fingers crossed).

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

Hi Larry!
yes, your VE Pro 6 template will open fine in 7 and Cubase 11 projects open fine in 12 (and also fine in 11 again even after resaving.
It is not particularly good practice, but I routinely switch projects between Cubase 9-12 and Nuendo, simply because I'm wayyyyyy too lazy to keep Cubase updated on all machines. And I have the excuse that I need to do compatibility testing :)

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thanks Tobias! Sounds like good news for the lazy (me) 😉

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Home Studio 87 wrote: Apr 16, 2022 4:16 pm Yes I never see in all the steinberg life (well I began with a floppy disk & Pro-24) an improvement like this...
How is VE Pro 7 for you on 12.0.10? Just read this thread - https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vienna-e ... 0/781765/4 - does seem to be specific issues with it, and Steinberg are collating cases. Also seeing reports of plugin windows not sizing correctly, esp on multi-monitor setups.

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 »

I still use the elicenser version of VEP7 (the last one), I've made the transfer to iLok but not activate it (I have to buy three more USB iLok!), and no problem on my three server PC
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 4x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 12 / VEP7 / Console 1 / TC Icon / CMC Controllers / iPads Lemur / 24ch XTouch / Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 /

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

12.0.20 was out today, a fairly swift release to try and address some serious issues
The 12.0.20 update addresses a couple of performance issues that occurred with different combinations of CPUs, plug-ins, MIDI Remote controllers, project settings or preferences. The performance on systems with many cores and short sample buffers sizes in particular will improve with this update.

We will continue to investigate performance issues on specific systems, and we will provide additional improvements with the next updates. Therefore, we still rely on your reports.

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues after the update to 12.0.20.

Please provide us with details about your system and the use-case in which you are experiencing issues.
The early feedback overall seems cautiously optimistic, several saying things have improved considerably but a few saying they’ve actually got worse.

I noticed this too from Matthias Quellman, in response to people reporting UI window issues for plugins like Omnisphere or Raum:
The plug-in window issue will hopefully be addressed in the 12.0.30 update.
I’m gonna wait for 12.0.30. 12.0.0 is working ok-ish for me.

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Well, I was one of those having problems with 12.0.10, especially with VEP. Every time I select a track pointing to an instance everything freezes for five seconds - select more than one and it freezes for longer, sometimes indefinitely. It's not the old Asio Guard problem although it looks somewhat similar.

Still not fixed in 12.0.20. Sigh.

Back to 12.0.0 it is. It's mostly stable and well-behaved. But I'm starting to really despair at Cubase again.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

scherzo wrote: Apr 28, 2022 6:20 am Back to 12.0.0 it is. It's mostly stable and well-behaved. But I'm starting to really despair at Cubase again.
I know. It's really depressing. Developing Cubase feels like whack-a-mole - they sort one thing out and yet another takes its place. Sometimes old bugs come back like bad pennies. I can never quite shake the feeling that the code is fundamentally not solid, in a way I don't get from Pro Tools. For all of the latter's frustrations, it does feel dependable.

EDIT - scherzo, do you know if the issue with VE Pro is logged with the Beta Team? I'm not on it any more, it got too frustrating...

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Yeah, I get the same feeling. I sort of envision the underlying code base as being an unmaintainable mess with decades worth of legacy baggage and weird optimization strategies that perhaps made sense once but no longer do. The amount and type of problems certainly give that impression. But I sort of get it, it must be an enormous technical challenge to work on a program like this for so long.

Ya know. ProTools gets a bad rap in hobbyist circles for some reason, but in a moment of weakness I actually subbed and tried it for a bit. I generally thought it was a more solid and well-designed program than people give it credit for, though not enough to make me want to climb onboard personally. I do find myself looking at Reaper and S1 again though...

No clue about the beta team. Judging from forum chatter I'm not the only one afflicted though so I assume they know about it. Maybe I should join the testers - I seem to have a knack for stumbling into stupid bugs 😊

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Re: Cubase 12 released [DEMO and 12.0.30 NOW AVAILABLE]

Post by Guy Rowland »

12.0.30 is out.
Performance and stability issues

The 12.0.30 update addresses a couple of performance issues. These issues could occur when closing the application. We have also improved the performance when working with Vienna Pro Ensemble.

We will continue to investigate performance issues on specific systems and provide additional improvements in future updates. We still rely on your reports, so please get in touch with us in the Steinberg Forum if you are still experiencing issues after this update.
Full list of release notes here - https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/release-notes/12/

Will be watching for user reports to see if it has stabalised. So odd for a .0 release to be more stable than the maintenance fix ones (thus far).

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I jumped on 12.0.30, following much more promising feedback at the Cubase Forum. Installed via the Download Assistant (you get authorization issues if you don't), and went smoothly.

So far so good, will be using it a lot in the next couple of days and will report back.

scherzo

Post by scherzo »

I jumped too. First with the manual installer which did indeed cause authorization issues - but after an uninstall, magic reboot, update to the Assistant, a few mystical chants, dances and prayers, and then another attempt at installing via the app, all is well again.

Haven't had much time to play with it yet, but the VEP bug seems fixed finally, so I'm cautiously optimistic. 🙂

mcalis

Re: Cubase 12 released

Post by mcalis »

artinro wrote: Mar 02, 2022 7:05 pm Can't believe they STILL haven't brought back localized undo. Never made sense why they just nixed this feature after v10. Very, very disappointing.
This one feature is why I still haven't upgraded (aside from not feeling the need). I actually thought it was removed before v10, maybe in 9 or 9.5? In any case, I can't imagine doing without it.

Anyway, I'm sticking to my 8.5. It crashes reliably :D and I know which features are broken in it. It's not ideal but I don't feel like I'm missing any features nor do I get the impression that 8.5 is any slower or faster than newer versions.
Matthias Calis

artinro

Re: Cubase 12 released

Post by artinro »

mcalis wrote: Jun 09, 2022 7:08 am
artinro wrote: Mar 02, 2022 7:05 pm Can't believe they STILL haven't brought back localized undo. Never made sense why they just nixed this feature after v10. Very, very disappointing.
This one feature is why I still haven't upgraded (aside from not feeling the need). I actually thought it was removed before v10, maybe in 9 or 9.5? In any case, I can't imagine doing without it.

Anyway, I'm sticking to my 8.5. It crashes reliably :D and I know which features are broken in it. It's not ideal but I don't feel like I'm missing any features nor do I get the impression that 8.5 is any slower or faster than newer versions.
Yes, I'm quite vocal about this issue. I posted extensively about it over on VI yesterday as well. Here is my post:

Dear fellow "local-undo" enthusiasts...just wanted to give you a minor, though not particularly enlightening update. After literally months of emailing Steinberg asking about this and receiving no reply, I finally got through to Greg Ondo (who runs the bi-weekly club Cubase livestreams on youtube, among other things).

Greg said that he'd brought it up to Steinberg several times and is still awaiting a reply himself. He promised to continue asking about it until he hears. Several others have asked him about this during the livestreams, so he is well aware of the issue.

I first thanked him for even replying, as it was the first time I actually got a response on this topic. In my original email, I'd detailed the issue, when Steinberg removed it without even mentioning it, and the many discussions we've had on this forum about it. I linked the posts from here as well.

For anyone who feels as strongly as I do about this, I beseech you…contact Greg Ondo and ask him to keep on Steinberg about this and let us know what he says. Maybe we’ll see it again.

clubcubase (at) steinberg.de

artinro

Post by artinro »

It seems others have messaged Greg about the local undo feature. He mentioned it in yesterday's club cubase livestream:

I encourage anyone who loves this feature to send a message to Steinberg about it to bolster anything Greg may mention to them. The pattern at the moment seems to be that he brings it to their attention every 5 or 6 months and they never get back to him. Let's keep on this!