There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Cinestrings Pro: first listen

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Cinestrings Pro: first listen

Post by Guy Rowland »

Very close to release now, here's a first look / listen at some of the patches:

This is just a tease prior to being finished, I believe we're only days away.

Here's what they've announced so far:

• Full String Ensembles (with all in room)
• Appassionata
• Bowed and Fingered Legatos
• Con Sordinos
• Lots of FX

Also some solo strings artics I believe.

Both the Con Sordinos and Appassionata sound gorgeous tonally, though will reserve judgement on transitions etc til release. Speaking of which, the library is Musio-exclusive to begin with, but they've hinted that a Kontakt version may appear further down the line. Mike has also said that keyswitches are coming to Musio likely by October, and the multi-mics are still coming, not sure if that's the same time-frame. They've slipped a little from their road map, but not by far - certainly plenty of activity.

wst3

Re: Cinestrings Pro: first listen

Post by wst3 »

I do like the sound, do we know if it is coming to both Musio and Kontakt?

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

wst3 wrote: Aug 28, 2023 5:22 pm I do like the sound, do we know if it is coming to both Musio and Kontakt?
For Musio first, expected this month. I think they will have a Kontakt version later on.

I also wonder if the Kontakt version of this library would be the exact same as the Musio one, or would it have more content/options ?

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Muziksculp wrote: Aug 28, 2023 5:48 pmI also wonder if the Kontakt version of this library would be the exact same as the Musio one, or would it have more content/options ?
Once the keyswitch and multi-mic options are in Musio, I think there would still likely be more customisation in Kontakt - all those under the hood settings for hairpin, legato tweaks etc. The other main thing that Musio will still be missing is time stretching, which may not be even an issue in Pro but does greatly affect other libraries like Hollywoodwinds, Impact and indeed Cinestrings Runs.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Out now. The articulation list is pretty disappointing - only appasionata for legatos. I’m away for a few days without the MacBook (!) so won’t be able to check it out until next week.

Full Ensemble
Sustain
Sustain - Octave
Sustain Con Sordino
Staccato
Staccato - Octave
Pizzicato
Crescendo - Octave
FX - Aleatoric Runs
FX - Harmonic Glissandi
FX - Cluster
FX - Snap
FX - Tune

Violins
Bowed Legato - Appassionata
Fingered Legato - Appassionata
Sustain/Staccato/Tenuto - Appassionata
Sustain/Staccato/Tenuto - Sul Ponticello
Sustain/Staccato/Tenuto - Sul Tasto
Sustain/Staccato/Tenuto - Con Sordino
FX - Aleatoric Runs
FX - Harmonic Glissandi
FX - Penderecki

Violas
FX - Aleatoric Runs
FX - Harmonic Glissandi
FX - Penderecki

Celli
Bowed Legato - Appassionata
FX - Aleatoric Runs
FX - Harmonic Glissandi

Basses
Sustain - Appassionata (Low Octave)
Sustain/Staccato - Sul Ponticello
Sustain - Sul Tasto
Sustain - Con Sordino
Staccato (Low Octave)
Pizzicato (Low Ocave)

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

What was their main focus on with CineStrings Pro , compared to CineStrings Core ?

Add more specialized articulations ?

Or was it to offer a more intimate, smaller sounding string sections to complement the Cinematic Strings Core (which offer a larger ensembles) ?

A bit confused about their direction/logic with regards to the Core vs Pro content.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yes, it’s an odd release. As you say section sizes are notably smaller, which means this feels more like a companion to the original CineStrings rather than an expansion. They’ve said that yes, this is more intimate vs cinematic. Also I thought they kept saying there were more solo strings here, but I don’t see any. Add that with this newly recorded ensemble section - of a smaller size - and conceptually it does feel slightly fuzzy.

Still, will be keen to try out what’s there.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

I was expecting a detailed video walkthrough for such a major release, just having the (Strings Pro) lable deserves that imho. 😎

I might join Musio when it matures a bit more. Meanwhile maybe some reviews of this library from independent reviewers would help understand, and hear what it offers. Honestly, I was under the impression that it was going to be additional articulations that will complement, and add to the articulation sets they have in CineStrings Core, I was not expecting the Pro version to be similar to Core, but just offer a smaller ens. sound.

The whole release was kind of underwhelming in general, given the amount of time it took to materialize, remember, It was first mentioned, years ago, there was no musio in sight then, I thought it will be all Kontakt and a real complementing library to the Core. But things haven't gone in that direction. Oh well. As they say, Se La Vie.

They don't even have Multiple-Mics options yet, and not sure if they have Articulation Switching either, in Musio.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

from what I can tell, Musio remains a work in progress, and progress they are making!

I think it was a courageous step (leap?) to release a limited version. I heard someone complain about paying for the privilege of beta testing, I don't think that is a fair assessment, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you don't like it don't buy it.

Me? I remain on the fence. I gave it a test run earlier and it is freakin cool, the technology under the covers is clever, and works really well. The Musio libraries are more-or-less indistinguishable from their Kontakt counterparts - for the same articulations.

I remain somewhat distrustful of subscription plans. I know I don't actually own any of the software I use, but a perpetual license just feels more... permanent??

I did sign up for the Sonar subscription, and that worked really well, changed my mind (briefly). Whether it would have withstood the test of time I do not know, I do know that Noel and his team are still making major updates to the program under the Bandlab flag. I keep it current, but I don''t use it except to resurrect old projects. I'm still a little annoyed that Wizzoverb disappeared :)

My prediction? I think Musio will have all the features we know and love, save for scripting (maybe?) and will be a legitimate tool for more than just working remotely or sketching things up. I don't think it will supplant Kontakt in the near future, if at all.

NoamL

Post by NoamL »

MUSIO itself works great now. I didn't have any bugs or crashes with it towards the end of my sub.

They've also made good progress with porting the old Cinesamples libraries to it. I think they have the ENTIRE lineup of old CineSamples orchestra libraries on there now.. And the price is amazing for hobbyists, beginners, or really anyone who doesn't own most of those libraries.

The issue is really their new offerings. I didn't feel that Industry Brass sounded like my favorite soundtracks recorded in FOX and this new library doesn't sound like my favorite soundtracks in SONY. The two libraries don't really belong to the same lineup either (different rooms & recordists... also 6 horns against 3 basses is 'a choice'!). It's a swing and a miss for me, and a missed opportunity because they are 'the' L.A. VI developer. Maybe it's a pipe dream but I really would like to see an American competitor to these upcoming Abbey Road libraries.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I'm back at base, and just had a little noodle.

Here's a WAV of some simple comparisons to get a feel for the content. It starts with the old Cinestrings V1 legato (with a huge complimentary CLONK at the end). With each short legato phrase and 2-note poly sustain phrase I'm riding the full length of CC1 to get a feel for the dynamics.

VIOLIN I
1. Original Cinestrings legato
2. Appassionata bowed legato
3. Appassionata fingered legato
4. Appassionata sustain
5. Sul ponticello sustain
6. Con Sordino sustain
7. Sul Tasto sustain

CELLI
8. Appassionata bowed legato

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/llvgzaf4 ... zb3s9&dl=0

In general the ensemble patches and effects feel like Symphobia 1 to me.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

My general thoughts - I think it is indeed a missed opportunity. The appassionata sounds nice, the legato transitions are clean, perfectly playable, but they're characterless and sterile. Appasionata suggests sweeping romanticism, I want to hear the transitions. I want port, hell I want glisses dammit. I want to be swept off my feet. As it is, in some ways the original strings were more characterful, albeit with more imperfections - my CS reference here btw linked vibrato cc2 with cc1 so it's full vibrato at fff. Pro gives us appasionata without the passion.

Apata.

Some of the other colours are nice-to-haves, but there's nothing to really warrant that Pro label imo. I don't know if there's more to be had from these recording sessions and this is just a first step - hoping so but realistically it's probably not.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

double post fixing a typo