There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Audiobro LASS 3

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Muziksculp

Re: Audiobro LASS 3

Post by Muziksculp »

Guy Rowland wrote: Aug 29, 2023 4:18 am I think what he's doing in that video (he doesn't say or I missed it) is loading up every main instrument and assigning to the same midi channel (except for basses which he forgot). He'd also have to have unified the keyswitches, which is pretty simple using the switcher's save / load, and I think switched legato off and sordino on, with his own reverb / spatialisation.

If that's the case, it's still a bodge. This will use auto-divisi of each instrument to play up to 3 notes, but this will be limited by the instrument's playable range. If you play 3 notes in both hands across the keyboard, the right hand three will sound on violins I and II, violas probably and maybe the cello. For the left hand it's likely no violins, some viola maybe and so on. So it's not a very good system, but it still sounds nice in the video don't it?

It's actually a bit of a failing of LASS 3 is that there is no multi script, which is what the ARC used to do. That was horrifically complex, but it's shame they didn't do some multis with a simple multiscript in that could handling splitting the divisis on a logical per-instrument basis, also adding first chairs. You'd need to use Divisimate otherwise.

Whilst mucking around, I realised I've been making life unnecessarily taxing on my machine sometimes. If I want to use LASS in the good old fashioned way of 5 monophonic instruments, I'm better off using patches in the Full Sections (Divisi Mixdowns) folder - just streaming one set of samples not 3. It's a bit silly that these patches default to polyphonic imo, but I guess it's easy enough to disable them then save the patches as a default state (also with my keyswitch map too). Once I'm sent the fixed patches I'll get on with this I think.
Hi Guy,

Thank You for the helpful feedback. I'm still kind of not sure how LASS 3 handles auto divisi.

I never used their Auto-Divisi system in LASS 2, it was a painful process. I also agree they don't have any kind of Multi-Script for Divisi in LASS 3, they could have made them with special multis for Divisi. I hope you get your issue sorted out with AudioBro. Any adidtional info. , video, ..etc. with regards to LASS 3 Auto Divisi, and how to use/set it up would be wonderful. I also posted this question on the AudioBro Forum, but no replies yet.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

This is an old video, but all the principles still apply. (Don't know why it's disabled from working directly here, but just clicking the Watch On YouTube link works).

Essentially in LASS 3, this is all made simpler and for normal playing the defaults work pretty well. I must admit though that I don't find legato all that useful when writing in a chordal way, and the auto script still can make weird transitions (the way I play anyway, which is badly as everyone knows). Perhaps a good workflow would be to play initially with no legato, and then later when the midi is tidied switch it back on, then you can massage any remaining kinks.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi Guy,

Thank You for the helpful feedback, and LASS video.

It's a bit odd that there are no videos showing how to use Auto-Divisi when using LASS 3.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yeah, they did a few videos for 3, but not divisi for some reason.

Sebastian has come back to me with typical speed and efficiency. The multis load fine in K7, and he remade my K6 one to work. So I'll try to start swapping them over in my projects to K7 and see how I go.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

3 1/2 tedious hours later - all instances replaced in all projects successfully. To be on the safe side I replaced with Kontakt 7.

So to all LASS 3 users - at the first hint of any trouble, or maybe even before, I'd recommend dropping Audiobro support a line. At least do some nervous checks if you've used LASS 3 recently, especially in Kontakt 6 - just make sure the projects re-open ok. Although they've changed stuff their end, Sebastian feels there may well have been a bug fix in K7 recently that didn't get updated in 6 which has reached EOL.

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Guy Rowland wrote: Aug 29, 2023 2:31 pm 3 1/2 tedious hours later - all instances replaced in all projects successfully. To be on the safe side I replaced with Kontakt 7.

So to all LASS 3 users - at the first hint of any trouble, or maybe even before, I'd recommend dropping Audiobro support a line. At least do some nervous checks if you've used LASS 3 recently, especially in Kontakt 6 - just make sure the projects re-open ok. Although they've changed stuff their end, Sebastian feels there may well have been a bug fix in K7 recently that didn't get updated in 6 which has reached EOL.
Hi Guy,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you got back on track with LASS 3 working properly for you in Kontakt 7.

Yeah, for some odd reason Audiobro didn't make a detailed video showing how to setup, or use their new Auto Divisi for LASS 3, and same I think goes for MSS. Go figure, especially given that Auto-Divisi is one of the highlights of this library, and what makes it special.

If you have the time to make a short video showing how to use LASS 3 , or MSS Auto-Divisi, that would be awesome, and I'm guessing it would get a large number of views.

I'm currently waiting for a new custom PC to be built for my studio. My current PC is going to be retiring once the new one is here. I also purchased the upgrade from Kontakt 6 to Kontakt 7 recently, and will be installing K7 on my new PC, and most likely retiring Kontakt 6.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I just tried a few times to do a quick overview video Miziksculp but I kept screwing up - I might try again next week as I'm away for a few days from tomorrow with a lot to fit in beforehand.

I'm no expert anyway. I have a handle on the basics enough to make it do what I want, but I don't try anything clever. The two major controls are legato and auto divisi, and it's irritating that they are on different pages, but here's my keep-it-simple guide to the 4 different combinations:

1 - LEGATO OFF AD OFF
Basic poly playing with unrealistic number of players building up

2 - LEGATO ON AD OFF
Monophonic legato

3 - LEGATO OFF AD ON
Realistic number of players per note, no legato transitions

4 - LEGATO ON AD ON
Realistic number of players per note with legato transitions

TBH I still find their chord detection algorithm pretty imperfect, so I tend to use 2 or 3. I think their default under the hood settings work well otherwise.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Chores all done, so I've done a quick video here of how I use it. Not really getting into the weeds which I tend to avoid, just covering the basics.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Guy Rowland wrote: Aug 30, 2023 11:50 am Chores all done, so I've done a quick video here of how I use it. Not really getting into the weeds which I tend to avoid, just covering the basics.

This appeared on my YouTube feed just now. I don't have LASS 3, but I watched it anyway out of curiosity. Well done, as always, Guy!

On a side note, I'm still using Kontakt 6 out of habit. I need to make sure I use Kontakt 7 going forward.

Best,

Geoff

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi Guy,

Thank You so much for making the LASS 3 auto-divisi system explanation video. It was super helpful. Appreciate it.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks you two. Keep thinking of things I missed out, but hope it helps with the basics.

Geoff, I said in the video I was using Kontakt 7 and in the main its true, but in fact in this video it was Kontakt 6, so I blatantly lied. But it is interesting that Audiobro say that K7 now likely has bugfixes not ported to K6, so in general this feels like a good time to start the great migration. Not that I'll change anything in my existing template - sod that. If it ain't broke!

Muziksculp

Post by Muziksculp »

Hi,

Andrew K of AudioBro replied to my post on their forum.

He recommended watching this video showing how Auto-Divisi works in their Genesis Library.

Here is the link to the video : https://audiobro.com/genesis_videos-auto_divisi/

I hope this is helpful to other LASS 3 users, I'm also guessing same applies to MSS. Auto-Divisi .

Cheers,
Muziksculp