There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

NKS partner 50% off sale and new NI keyboards

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

NKS partner 50% off sale and new NI keyboards

Post by Guy Rowland »

Lots of developers in a 50% off sale inc u-he, Sonokinetic, Cinesamples, Arturia, Orchestral Tools, ProjectSAM, Heavyocity, Strezov, Wavelet, Soundiron, Artistry, Vir2, Big Fish, Impact Soundworks, Output, Skybox and Evolution Series. I probably missed a fair few.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/c ... offer-2023

And some updated keyboards too (but still not my fantasy 88 note semi-weighted):

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... 9-s61-s88/

The weighted S88 though has polyphonic aftertouch which might be a big deal for some.

mickeyl

Re: NKS partner 50% off sale and new NI keyboards

Post by mickeyl »

Nice updates, in particular, if you come from the original series. I'm coming from an S25 (which seems to be discontinued), so I have to cope with the longer length. Unfortunately there is no 3-octave model.
Cheers,

Dr. Michael Lauer – My Music

tack

Post by tack »

I wonder if they'll improve the keybed of the S88. I have the MK1 and I really don't like it. Creaky, plasticky keys. I do quite like the aftertouch though.

I've had my eye on the Numa X Piano GT for a while as a possible future upgrade, but I'll be interested to see what reviews of the S88 MK3 are like, especially since it's $1000 CAD cheaper than the Numa.
- Jason

SirKen

Post by SirKen »

tack wrote: Sep 13, 2023 10:53 am I wonder if they'll improve the keybed of the S88. I have the MK1 and I really don't like it. Creaky, plasticky keys. I do quite like the aftertouch though.

I've had my eye on the Numa X Piano GT for a while as a possible future upgrade, but I'll be interested to see what reviews of the S88 MK3 are like, especially since it's $1000 CAD cheaper than the Numa.
These should be the same Fatar keybeds as the ones on Waldorf Iridium and Quantum MK2s. If your local music store or a friend owns them, you could test there.

EDIT - Just realized that you are talking about the 88 keys, my bad.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I sprung for the Evolution Series Oud. At £75, I've had my eye on that for a while. It's sampled in a lot more depth than Ancient Era Persia, but side-by-side it really lacks Tarilonte's bite, its much more polite. Also the portamento is great (fast and slow options), but it can be hard to make effective because it's so incredibly quiet next to the plucks - fine for solo work but it is easily buried in a mix. Having a constantly variable speed control for the trems is good though. I think it will suit certain parts brilliantly, but I'm not sure I'll be replacing the Tralionte stuff as much as I thought I would.

Here's a good waltkthrough - there's others in this series with similar specs.

EDIT - this video is the v1, it's had a facelift since then: