There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

NI Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

NI Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Post by Guy Rowland »

I've personally been complaining about Komplete Kontrol since 1.0. In theory a useful app to search all NI content in once place, it's been so badly designed from the word go that search results are frequently 2 deep visually. There's been a registry hack to fix that for years by fixing the window size to something useful, but NI have never officially added a checkbox and the hack gets obliterated on every update. Also there's been no way of organising search results by plugin type. You could either search 1 product or all of them. The end user experience for me has always been so poor I've never used it.

Enter 3.0, which has a new Kontakt 7 style browser. Unbelievably this is still not resizable. A third do-over and they can't figure that out. One positive - in that browser mode, there is always one column on the right that shows about a dozen results, but that's as good as it gets. It's single function is to browse patches, and you can see 12. That's it.

When searching you still can only choose 1 product or all of them, so you still cannot search for, say, all the Reaktor synths because they can't be bothered to put a proper browser in Reaktor.

Finally, for me it hangs on scanning iZotope's Neutron 1, and then loads in non-functional mode - no patch will load any plugin.

Apart from that, it's great.

If anyone here wants to try to get any use out of it, it's here - https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... a1k7_cz64j . It comes with a nice lot of freebies in Komplete Start if anyone doesn't already have them.

Jaap

Re: NI Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Post by Jaap »

The now being able to resize it has been a big frustration here, specially when you are browsing something and you load up a sound from a smaller sized synth (small GUI) and the browsing field gets reduced to almost zero and making scrolling and browsing through the presets even a bigger pain.

I heard about the registry hack, but tried it once and it screwed things up beyond everything and had to reinstall Komplete Kontrol so never bothered with that.

I want to love it as I like the philopshy behind it, but the practical use never really connected with me. I use it only to load certain libraries for getting the control on my MK2 keyboard, but otherwise the whole "experience" never worked for me.

Reading through the comments here doesn't make me want to update. Pitty as I really hope they would sort this out once and for all and make it the awesome thing it really could be
https://community.native-instruments.co ... rol-3-0/p1

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks for the link Jaap, I've just been over there to unload.

I'm just going to declare it now - i think KK3 is the single worst product NI have ever released.

Jaap

Post by Jaap »

Based on the comments from long time and heavily experienced users it does looks like that indeed Guy...